10-12 years
13-15 years
16-18 years
19 + years

Becks

Started as a cadet in 02.

BBATW

Camas

Joined a squadron in Oct 2000 and asked to take on a wing position in Dec 2003 where I am now.  Never was a cadet; I'd never heard of CAP until I was in my early 20's.

JC004

It seems like forever, but it has only been since Oct '99.  I knew about CAP all my life (grandparents were members).  I looked it up online one day to see what it was like now (then).  I joined, eventually got my Earhart.  Decided to be a senior member (pre-21) in 2004, transferred to Group HQ.  Became a Real Senior MemberTM last year.  Transferred down to a squadron (different one) in December due to the work load with my business.  Still do stuff at wing and get suckered into various things.  So red service ribbon with a clasp that never wants to stay on straight (GR!).

PhoenixRisen

MajorSER

Joined the New York Wing  2 Sept 1972
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Я был там как солдатом

Tim Medeiros

cadet 9 Aug 99 - 19 Jan 07
senior 19 Jan 07 - present
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

DrDave

Only been a member for a little over a year and a half -- shows you how quickly you can become a Major AND Group Commander when you don't say "no" quickly enough!

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

JC004

Quote from: DrDave on April 13, 2007, 03:59:15 AM
Only been a member for a little over a year and a half -- shows you how quickly you can become a Major AND Group Commander when you don't say "no" quickly enough!

Dr. Dave

Joke's on you.  :)  Being a group commander will teach you.

Ford73Diesel

Joined as a cadet in April 2002 (almost five years ago exactly!)

Plan on staying a cadet until 21 (2.5 years left)

edited to add:

GLR-OH-131 2002-2004
GLR-OH-236 2004-2005
GLR-OH-096 2005- present

Pylon

Quote from: markh on April 13, 2007, 05:03:28 AM
Plan on staying a cadet until 21 (2.5 years left)

Great!  You've got enough time to get your Spaatz, then!    :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Ford73Diesel

A little off topic, but whatever...

I prefer small steps. My current goal is C/Maj by the end of the year. If I make it to C/Lt Col ( I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch), I will defiantly give the Spaatz a try or two  ;D

My promotion rates are slower than average, but I think I've been rather successful as a cadet, considering only 5% who join make it to C/Capt.

stillamarine

Been a member since....yesterday! lol Well it seems like it, March 28, 2007! Guess that makes me the boot! :(  I do have a little less than 3 years as a cadet back around 90.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

JC004

Quote from: stillamarine on April 13, 2007, 05:31:31 AM
Been a member since....yesterday! lol Well it seems like it, March 28, 2007! Guess that makes me the boot! :(  I do have a little less than 3 years as a cadet back around 90.

Welcome back.  It'll be fun...I promise.  As long as you can keep up with the uniform changes.   :)

SarDragon

Cadet - NJ059 - 2/64 - 4/69; Mitchell, no Curry
SM - 4/69 ( AD USN) - various units in NJ and ME until @ 1980
lapsed until 1987
NHQ113 - 4/87 - 9/99 (inactive 8/89 - 9-99)
CA261 - 9/99 - 6/04
CA-256 - 6/04 - present

Can actually document 27 yrs toward Red Service; working on the rest.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DogCollar

Joined as a Cadet, 1974 -75

Joined as a Senior Member, 2006
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

capchiro

Excellent topic.  It is amazing to see how many members are prior cadets.  This should encourage us, because even with a break in service, a certain number will return.  Also, over 60% have over 10 years experience and about 39% have over 19 years experience.  This should tell us that we are not getting the message out to new members about this website.  Shame on us.  Now, the good news, this also tells us that we have some very experienced and knowledgable contributors on this board.  I don't think the active duty has 39% with over 19 years of experience.  This also tells us that we are probably rank heavy on this board, but again, the only way to even that out is to get the word out to the new guys.  Speaking of that, I think I may have been remiss in passing the word to all of my squadron about this site.  That will be rectified.  Now, with all of this experience, let's do something good and help those less experienced.  Also, if CAP is so bad, and that is the opinion I get from some of the posts in the last year, why have so many stayed for so long and are so dedicated that they are utilizing this site?  I don't think members with 19+ years of experience would have stayed for so long if they had the feelings of discontentment that has been evoked here sometimes.  Yes, we may have a problem with National and yes, I have never seen so many uniform changes in my life, but some of this will pass, so, as they say, keep on keeping on, and remember, that snotty nosed, long haired cadet that you recruit tomorrow may be here in 20 years doing great things. Carry on.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Stonewall

I know you stated this, but remember, this poll is not representative of total CAP.  There was another poll on CAPTalk that asked what the most popular rank is out there and I believe it was either 1st Lt or Captain.  And that wasn't a look at CAPTalk membership, it was in CAP.

I think that is a more realistic sample that speaks of CAP's total experience within our program.  Figure most captains in CAP have under 10 years?  Is that a decent guess?

What we need in this organization is former cadets, preferably Mitchell or higher, who have left CAP, gone on to something bigger and better (college, military, business, professional level careers), maybe started their family, and are in their late 20s to early 40s and have some quantified experience and knowledge to bring to our organization, especially our cadet program.  In my experience, those have been the backbone senior members that carry on CAP's fine traditions of volunteer service in every facet of CAP.  In my case, cadet programs has been a majority of my focus followed closely by emergency services.

Yes, there is a large percentage of folks on this forum board who have 19+ years experience.  Like a good squadron commander training their replacement, we need to pass on what we know to be best for CAP to those who, in 10 years, will have 19+ years experience.  For those of us with 19+ years experience, how many times have we briefed new members on the basics of CAP?  Of those, how many made that effort worth while?  Probably not a lot.  So the "old timers" get fed up and continue doing things, usually all the hard work, on their own.  This, instead of training the future leaders of CAP.

Just a thought, nothing earth shattering.  I wouldn't be here if I didn't love CAP and feel indebted to the program.  There is no doubt in my mind that CAP played a direct role in making me the person I am today.  It was my choice to enlist into the Army after high school, but I owe CAP for preparing me for that experience and making me a better soldier.  After the Army, all three professional careers I've had came as a direct result of my experience in CAP.  Yeah, I'd say CAP has paid dividends in my life.
Serving since 1987.

Eeyore

Joined as a cadet in 1997, rejoined as a SM March of this year.

DogCollar

Quote from: Stonewall on April 13, 2007, 12:07:08 PM

What we need in this organization is former cadets, preferably Mitchell or higher, who have left CAP, gone on to something bigger and better (college, military, business, professional level careers), maybe started their family, and are in their late 20s to early 40s and have some quantified experience and knowledge to bring to our organization, especially our cadet program.  In my experience, those have been the backbone senior members that carry on CAP's fine traditions of volunteer service in every facet of CAP.  In my case, cadet programs has been a majority of my focus followed closely by emergency services.

I agree, however, this is the very same demographic (+/- 5 years) that every other volunteer/service organization, youth sports league, and religious worship centers are looking at as well.  Just know that the competition is fierce.  This is also the time when most people are heavily involved in careers and raising families!  This targeted generation also carries more financial debt than any other previous generation.  I know I probably sound like a wet-blanket, (I believe this age demographic SHOULD be targeted).  I think to be realistic as to success, anything approaching a 2 to 5 % return on recruiting investment would have to be seen as a HUGE success.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Joined as a cadet the week after 9/11
(tried to join the Guard the day after but they said I was too young... )

Transfered to Senior in 2003, in response to a request for more SMs - unit was down to the CC and his wife.

Hope to be here til Im planted.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student