CAP Congressional Gold Medal Website

Started by MisterCD, May 17, 2014, 01:45:41 AM

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

So it was signed today - anyone have a photo?  All I can find is the Doolittle Medal signing.

Also, showing my lack of schooling.

It was HR 755 and S 309, but what is it once it's been passed by both houses and goes for signing into law?
Is that when it becomes a bill?  Does it get a different number?

Bill doesn't say...

Schoolhouse Rock: America - I'm Just a Bill Music Video

"That Others May Zoom"

Nikos

I found it interesting, and thanks for the link to the book.

sardak

Attached is a copy of "An Act to To award a Congressional Gold Medal to the World War II members of the Civil Air Patrol."  It carries the number of the Senate bill, S.309.

Also attached are copies of the Congressional Record of both chambers when each passed the bill.

Mike

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: THRAWN on May 21, 2014, 03:13:34 AM
Can't wait to see what comes next. First a racecar, now a years long effort to have a paperweight awarded....we should buy a giraffe.....

I'm one of CAP, Inc's biggest critics here. That said (with my apologies to MIKE in advance), STFU.

The effort was worth it. A lot of folks gave up a lot back then to help in the war effort with little recognition at the time or afterward and few of them asked for it. When you can up and quit your job, go do the missions they did to help the war effort with no pay for 4 years straight you can talk, until then keep your trap shut.

FWIW we have one member of CAP for whom this will be his second CGM.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

JeffDG

Quote from: sardak on May 31, 2014, 12:28:09 AM
Attached is a copy of "An Act to To award a Congressional Gold Medal to the World War II members of the Civil Air Patrol."  It carries the number of the Senate bill, S.309.

Also attached are copies of the Congressional Record of both chambers when each passed the bill.

Mike

While there was a house "companion bill" to the S.309, the one the House took up and passed was the Senate bill.  Eventually, it will receive a "PL" number (Public Law), but that designation hasn't happened yet.

Alaric

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on June 02, 2014, 11:18:03 AM
Can't wait to see what comes next. First a racecar, now a years long effort to have a paperweight awarded....we should buy a giraffe.....

I'm one of CAP, Inc's biggest critics here. That said (with my apologies to MIKE in advance), STFU.

The effort was worth it. A lot of folks gave up a lot back then to help in the war effort with little recognition at the time or afterward and few of them asked for it. When you can up and quit your job, go do the missions they did to help the war effort with no pay for 4 years straight you can talk, until then keep your trap shut.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the membership was not being solicited for funds from the National Office.  If this is what NHQ felt was the priority to use our funds for (and I have no problem with that, people should be recognized for service), then don't come back to the membership for more money.  It is the entire purpose of having a budget, set priorities to expend the resources you have.

MisterCD

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on June 02, 2014, 11:18:03 AM

This is the second CGM for several people, both Tuskegee Airmen and former WASPs.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

The CFA version should be the selection.

This is a coin that is supposed to honor WWII CAP vets, so no modern indices should be used, nor bold emphasis on the year.
Most of the rest are too busy, or inappropriate for this type of usage.

So much MS Paint...my eyes...the goggles do nothing....

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Agreed. As a coin collector this is exciting (I mean real coins, not challenge coins), but once I saw the ones with the "modern" designs, I felt they were out of place. I hope the decision makers feel the same way.