Main Menu

24 hour pack uniformity

Started by untiltheend2851, May 08, 2014, 05:47:52 AM

untiltheend2851

I was thinking about getting some items that were slightly different from the regular US gear people have been using on their packs. Would it be alright if I strayed a little or does everything need to be uniform?

lordmonar

Can't find it in any regulation that "you have to be uniform"......In fact I tell my new GTM trainees not to go out and buy any fancy equipment.  Just throw everything into your school back pack...throw in a few water bottles....and you are good to.

Having said that.....you need to check with YOUR GTL and see what they say.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

untiltheend2851

Thanks, now that i think about it i probably should have just asked someone before going on here.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: untiltheend2851 on May 08, 2014, 11:20:10 AM
Thanks, now that i think about it i probably should have just asked someone before going on here.

Yup. That's a question Maj. Sorenson would certainly be able to answer.

Storm Chaser

You must have the items in the task guide to get signed off on the task for GTM qualification. That's the minimum gear required and most GTLs will expect their team members to have that gear with them (I personally do periodic inspections of my teams). Having said that, you're certainly welcome to add other items that might be useful for the mission. But one word of caution; anything you bring, you'll be carrying with you. You don't want to go overboard because there's such a thing as carrying "too much" gear.

NM SAR

Task guide reads: "Day pack (preferably red or orange), webbed gear, or other SAR/Survival Vest"

Looks to me that you're free to carry your gear in whatever you want. I would prioritize comfort and function (holds all your stuff, you can get to it when you need it), as well as visibility over uniformity.

Mela_007

Several of the comments here hit home.  I am still a GTM3 trainee, but I have my 24-hr pack together.  I just used a standard day pack that I already have, but I have found a couple of downsides to what I have gathered.

1) The backpack is gray, so it actually covers much of the back of my vest.
2) I added some "extras" (like a DeLorme) to mine as well, and it has made it heavy and won't hold much of anything else either.
3) I have to put it on and take it off every time we get in and out of the van on an ELT search.

I am considering a MOLLE vest, but not sure it will hold what I need.  For now, I will stick with my current set-up and perhaps re-think some of my contents.  Any ideas for the "portability" aspect getting in and out of the van?
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Luis R. Ramos

Putting up and down the pack when you get off / in a vehicle?

That is the procedure for several reasons.

1. More space for you and other passengers without gear on.
2. Metal attachment points will not destroy or damage seats.

Even if you are carrying your gear on a web belt and suspenders you have to.

The only time you do not have to don on and off your gear is probably if you wear a vest instead.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NC Hokie

Quote from: Mela_007 on June 02, 2014, 09:41:21 PM
3) I have to put it on and take it off every time we get in and out of the van on an ELT search.

How often do you have to mount/dismount while carrying your full load?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Luis R. Ramos

Mela-

If you find it too heavy, then take off some of those "extras!" ::)

Are you a Ground Team Leader? If not, why are you carrying a DeLorme? That is a GTL responsibility.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Mela_007

My pack is not "too" heavy, just a bit cumbersome.  I picked up a Delorme recently and have begun bringing it to the SAREX that I attend as I have found that they sometimes need an additional one (or newer version) for some group (other ground teams) at the mission.  The GTL from our squadron that I generally travel with carries his Delorme (as well as one that is kept in our squadron van), but not all GTLs seem to bring them with them. 

I understand the need to remove the gear for space in the van and avoid damage to the seats.  I had not considered those aspects.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown