Main Menu

Exit Surveys

Started by jeders, April 07, 2014, 04:16:20 PM

James Shaw

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 11, 2014, 09:11:37 PM
Quote from: capmando on October 11, 2014, 03:46:01 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2014, 05:26:32 AM
Recruiting "people" is not that hard when you have a functional organization.  BTDT. Recruiting "females to be overnight chaperons"
is a waste of time and effort, not to mention a bad idea.

This particular piece created a lot of chatter in my area. We have almost an entre family in our squadron. The guy has 5 kids in the squadron. 2 Boys and 3 Girls. When he heard about the new rule he started to pull them all out and quit himself. In his opinion CAP doesn't trust him to be with his own kids and can't take care of them. Why would he want to be part of that organization. Fortunate for us his oldest daughter is now a SM and participates. This gentleman is a retired Marine Corps Lt Col, does work for the DOD and is a City Council Member....but in their eyes he doesn't qualify to be with his own kids. It would be a great loss for him and his family and a bigger loss for CAP for him and his family to leave.

The Marine is very narrow minded. People who always boasts their personal resume is suspicious. JMHO But then my motto is In God we trust, all others we investigate   8)

These are my notes and not his. I added that as part of my description.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Private Investigator

Quote from: capmando on October 11, 2014, 09:16:47 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on October 11, 2014, 09:11:37 PM
Quote from: capmando on October 11, 2014, 03:46:01 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2014, 05:26:32 AM
Recruiting "people" is not that hard when you have a functional organization.  BTDT. Recruiting "females to be overnight chaperons"
is a waste of time and effort, not to mention a bad idea.

This particular piece created a lot of chatter in my area. We have almost an entre family in our squadron. The guy has 5 kids in the squadron. 2 Boys and 3 Girls. When he heard about the new rule he started to pull them all out and quit himself. In his opinion CAP doesn't trust him to be with his own kids and can't take care of them. Why would he want to be part of that organization. Fortunate for us his oldest daughter is now a SM and participates. This gentleman is a retired Marine Corps Lt Col, does work for the DOD and is a City Council Member....but in their eyes he doesn't qualify to be with his own kids. It would be a great loss for him and his family and a bigger loss for CAP for him and his family to leave.

The Marine is very narrow minded. People who always boasts their personal resume is suspicious. JMHO But then my motto is In God we trust, all others we investigate   8)

These are my notes and not his. I added that as part of my description.

He does know that he is not being singled out, everyone has to jump thru the hoops. Any group with children and/or minors need to be selective. Most groups do well 99% of the time. But that 1% and I am concerned about that 1%. Lots of people pass background checks because they have not been caught yet.  8) 

Eclipse

The sad reality is that many of the people who make the most noise about background
checks and hoops, are also the ones we need to keep the closest watch on in this regard,
and/or will make the most noise about not being thorough if something happens to
them or their children.

We also know from experience that being a military officer does not automatically
mean you are not also a risk.

As said "Trust but verify."

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2014, 01:02:30 AM
The sad reality is that many of the people who make the most noise about background
checks and hoops, are also the ones we need to keep the closest watch on in this regard,
and/or will make the most noise about not being thorough if something happens to
them or their children.

We also know from experience that being a military officer does not automatically
mean you are not also a risk.

As said "Trust but verify."

Roger that, thank you sir   :clap:

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have a grandniece, now grown with children of her own, who would have made an excellent cadet - smart, a quick thinker, and energetic, not to mention an all 'round bubbly, friendly, sweet girl who could have been a Spaatz (OK, I'm biased).

However, I had to tell her that because the meeting site was over 30 miles away and she could not get another lift, leaving her only choice being to ride with me, she could not do it, because once we were on "CAP-time," I was no longer "Uncle," but "Lieutenant," and those were the rules.

I hated that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Garibaldi

Quote from: CyBorg on October 13, 2014, 07:42:19 PM
I have a grandniece, now grown with children of her own, who would have made an excellent cadet - smart, a quick thinker, and energetic, not to mention an all 'round bubbly, friendly, sweet girl who could have been a Spaatz (OK, I'm biased).

However, I had to tell her that because the meeting site was over 30 miles away and she could not get another lift, leaving her only choice being to ride with me, she could not do it, because once we were on "CAP-time," I was no longer "Uncle," but "Lieutenant," and those were the rules.

I hated that.

That was me and Dad. Once we exited the car, it was Captain, not Dad. No relation beyond our last name.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

EMT-83

I hated that.

But those weren't the rules.

Private Investigator

Exactly.

If you got the only car in Petticoat Junction. Charge each kid a nickel, call yourself a 'taxi' and you will be fine.   8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 14, 2014, 03:33:55 AM

I hated that.

But those weren't the rules.

I was told by my then-commander it could not be done.  I assumed she knew what she was talking about.

Of course, this was in the aftermath of a lot of cadet/senior improper-behaviour issues...basically, during my Level I I was taught that if a cadet, any cadet, made an allegation, any allegation, against a senior member, it would be regarded as "true" by default and don't let the gate hit you in the butt on the way out.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jeders

Quote from: CyBorg on October 14, 2014, 06:18:05 PM
...during my Level I I was taught that if a cadet, any cadet, made an allegation, any allegation, against a senior member, it would be regarded as "true" by default and don't let the gate hit you in the butt on the way out.

Unfortunately, this is still being taught and lived by some people.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

ColonelJack

Of course, this was in the aftermath of a lot of cadet/senior improper-behaviour issues...basically, during my Level I I was taught that if a cadet, any cadet, made an allegation, any allegation, against a senior member, it would be regarded as "true" by default and don't let the gate hit you in the butt on the way out.

That ... like any kind of income tax problem ... is where one is presumed guilty until he proves himself innocent. 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on October 14, 2014, 07:00:01 PM
...during my Level I I was taught that if a cadet, any cadet, made an allegation, any allegation, against a senior member, it would be regarded as "true" by default and don't let the gate hit you in the butt on the way out.

Unfortunately, this is still being taught and lived by some people.

What adult with the intelligence level of someone we would want as a member would accept that at face value?

Cyborg, kidding as, sometimes it sounds like you joined up at "Wives Tale Squadron" and then transferred to "Urban Legend Composite".

I've had this kind of nonsense thrown my way a time or to, only to be knocked back with common sense or a reg I actually
read, so I know it happens, but the things that people just "accept at face value" continue to flabbergast me.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Oh, Eclipse, I have no doubt that some of what I heard in my early days of CAP was a crock of Bravo Sierra.

However, given the environment of the time (not getting political, but remember Anita Hill?) I'm not surprised it was that way.

I remember even some of the job orientations I got at the time put heavy, if unspoken, emphasis on "you're male, if an allegation is raised against you for any reason..."

I spent almost three years working as one of only two males that were on-site all the time at an all-female workplace...plus, about 1/2 of them were related by blood or marriage or going to the same church...and some of the stuff they talked about openly around me (it made me wonder why some of these ladies were even married, as badly as they seemed to loathe their husbands) often made me want to crawl into a crack in the floor, but had I said a word in response/rebuttal, I would have been history (even the owner, a male, acknowledged that to me).

Again, I think it had a lot to do with the politics/social mores of the time, that there were all these "unwritten laws" regarding CPPT in CAP.

Of course, as a brand new member off the street, who was I to say yea or nay?  My military mindset told me, "this is a Major telling me this, you salute and execute."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on October 14, 2014, 10:10:52 PM
Of course, as a brand new member off the street, who was I to say yea or nay?  My military mindset told me, "this is a Major telling me this, you salute and execute."

How long did it take the military mindset to realize the lunch lady at Petticoat Junction High School was a Major or OTOH the Squadron Commander serve lunch to teenagers as her day job? On a side note how long to realize the "tooth fairy" was mom?  8)

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on October 14, 2014, 09:50:05 PM
Cyborg, kidding as, sometimes it sounds like you joined up at "Wives Tale Squadron" and then transferred to "Urban Legend Composite".

That unit has been around for a LONG time.  So long that the adjective "Old" is almost always prepended onto its name.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 15, 2014, 01:16:48 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on October 14, 2014, 10:10:52 PM

How long did it take the military mindset to realize the lunch lady at Petticoat Junction High School was a Major or OTOH the Squadron Commander serve lunch to teenagers as her day job? On a side note how long to realize the "tooth fairy" was mom?  8)

You have made your point.  In this case, the lady wearing the Major's oak leaves was a prior-service AF nurse, decorated for Vietnam service.  In this case, the squadron actually ran on a military model, with saluting, proper uniforms and no guarantees that you would be given 2nd Lieutenant at the end of six months.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 15, 2014, 01:16:48 PMOn a side note how long to realize the "tooth fairy" was mom?  8)

Wait..WHAT?!?

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Santa is not real Either?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Gee-Zus.

This day just keeps on getting worse.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 15, 2014, 04:11:38 PM
Santa is not real Either?

Hey, that's opsec. There's cadets on this forum.