3g/4g hotspot for use in harsh conditions

Started by Eclipse, April 03, 2014, 07:37:35 PM

Eclipse

Anyone know of a source for a cellular hotspot that can handle extremes of temperature?

Preferably looking for a commercial purpose-built device with a SIM card slot, etc., but
also thinking a robust device with an external antenna connector locked in a small Pelican
would work as well.

Moisture isn't as much of a concern and temperature extremes and swings.

Full disclosure this isn't 100% a CAP question, but if I can find the right price point,
I have a CAP application for this as well.

I am hoping the techies and comm people might have some interesting.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The issue I've had with these things is you want something that is specifically designed for the weather. Not something that will sit locked in a box and overheat.

In the end, I've used things like this:
http://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/routerboard/Groove-A-52HPn.html

With the hotspot, or even a Cradlepoint with USB stick in it, feeding to it from elsewhere.

Eclipse

Just as "no-update".  I have had zero luck finding anything viable.

We're leaning now towards standard MiFi's in a Pelican case, the assumption being that the
plastic will be relatively RF transparent (yes?).

The range needed on the Wifi side is inches to a couple feet, obviously the Cell side has to hit the towers.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The Pelican case isn't any worse than your typical structure, or for that matter, the plastic casing on the unit itself.

If you wanted to, you could disassembled the MiFi and mount it within the Pelican case so that there remains one layer of plastic between it and the elements, and since it's going to be cooped up in there, it would give it some more air flow.

Do not use any of the foam that may come in the case, and do not get an ESD proof/resistant case. Those provide a layer of conductivity, which may also be RF limiting. My main concern would be the inbound signal, not the 802.x.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"