Main Menu

New CC stuff

Started by Walkman, February 08, 2014, 09:07:51 PM

Walkman

I just got an email from Wing asking me to fill out a new F172 for the unit. That led me to download R173-1 and start going over it (never dealt with finance stuff for CAP before). I also downloaded the PDFs available for the UCC course.

Is there a new CC checklist? Also my jobs have been PAO, ESO, R&RO and CDI, aside from finance, what areas should I start digging in first (composite unit w/ no pilots or AC, BTW)?

Eclipse

Your best bet it to read-over the SUI guide and then do a self-assessment, that's going to
tell you where you need to be form and process-wise.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Roger that. I'm getting that from the previousl CC.

lordmonar

Quote from: Walkman on February 08, 2014, 09:07:51 PM
I just got an email from Wing asking me to fill out a new F172 for the unit. That led me to download R173-1 and start going over it (never dealt with finance stuff for CAP before). I also downloaded the PDFs available for the UCC course.

Is there a new CC checklist? Also my jobs have been PAO, ESO, R&RO and CDI, aside from finance, what areas should I start digging in first (composite unit w/ no pilots or AC, BTW)?

First....You have to redo all the Financial Committee paper work.
Second.....you have to a complete inventor of all accountable property and comm gear.
Third.....you have to redo all the mandatory committee PA's (promotion, membership, awards, etc)
Fouth.....review all your policy letters, MOU's, etc....and see which ones need to be updated.

At that point.......a lot depends on your vision for the unit and/or your wing/group's intentions for your unit.

Set some long term goals.....get your people on board with them....then start organizing, training and manning your unit to meet those goals.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

^ This, and don't sign anything that accepts responsibility until you are comfortable you know where it is and its status.

If anything is missing or questionable, let the old CC or wing sort it out, but it shouldn't become your problem, this is in
regards to comm gear, other equipment, vehicles, and money.

I've seen missing gear pass through 3 CC's only to bite the last one in the butt because he marks it as missing
on an inventory, when it was supposedly there on change-over.  We had a Group CC who refused to sign his
inventory for 2 years because something was missing and he wasn't about to take the hit.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on February 08, 2014, 09:43:58 PM
I've seen missing gear pass through 3 CC's only to bite the last one in the butt because he marks it as missing
on an inventory, when it was supposedly there on change-over.  We had a Group CC who refused to sign his
inventory for 2 years because something was missing and he wasn't about to take the hit.

OK, that's just dumb.

By regulation, if something is "missing" it's to be reported in ORMS as such within 7 days of discovering that it's missing.  Once it's in that status, then the new CC is just signing that "Yep, still missing"  Wing/CC is responsible for it once it's reported as missing via the Report of Survey process.

AdAstra

Congratulations on your new assignment, Walkman.

Here are two good resources I hand out at UCC. The checklist is copied directly from CAPP 50-1, and Questions is an attachment from an older version of UCC.

CAPP 50-1, CAP Commander's Guide, is under revision again?
Charles Wiest

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on February 08, 2014, 09:51:10 PM

OK, that's just dumb.

By regulation, if something is "missing" it's to be reported in ORMS as such within 7 days of discovering that it's missing.  Once it's in that status, then the new CC is just signing that "Yep, still missing"  Wing/CC is responsible for it once it's reported as missing via the Report of Survey process.

No argument, but people do it.

And this predated the current system - wing refused to remove it, so he said "ain't got it, ain't signing".

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on February 08, 2014, 10:01:19 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on February 08, 2014, 09:51:10 PM

OK, that's just dumb.

No argument, but people do it.

And this predated the current system - wing refused to remove it, so he said "ain't got it, ain't signing".
In that case, fair 'nuff.

The RoS process needs some work...there were a bunch in my inventory when I took over as DC that were "Awaiting NHQ input" (ie. had been approved at Wing and Region) for half a decade.

Walkman

Quote from: AdAstra on February 08, 2014, 09:58:15 PM
Congratulations on your new assignment, Walkman.

Here are two good resources I hand out at UCC. The checklist is copied directly from CAPP 50-1, and Questions is an attachment from an older version of UCC.

CAPP 50-1, CAP Commander's Guide, is under revision again?

Thanks for the checklist!

I've got some short & long-term goals in mind, but I haven't finalized them yet. I'm planning on meeting with everyone on individually. I want to make sure all my SMs (there's only 8) are still in the right jobs & specialty tracks and see what the senior cadet's goals are. Then I can see about rolling all that into a holistic unit vision and set of goals for the next 12 months.

Quote from: lordmonar on February 08, 2014, 09:29:33 PM
First....You have to redo all the Financial Committee paper work.
Second.....you have to a complete inventor of all accountable property and comm gear.
Third.....you have to redo all the mandatory committee PA's (promotion, membership, awards, etc)
Fouth.....review all your policy letters, MOU's, etc....and see which ones need to be updated.

Seems like sound advice!