Main Menu

Hunter Orange MOLLE Vest

Started by Samex, January 17, 2014, 06:20:34 PM

Spaceman3750

I will definitely be picking one up in due time, looks like an awesome rig. I might get mine in yellow though.

Panzerbjorn

You may want to really consider orange since that's the color we're supposed to wear. 
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on July 11, 2014, 06:06:48 PM
You may want to really consider orange since that's the color we're supposed to wear.

A few weeks ago, I would've agreed with you. However, the new CAPM 39-1 now states that safety vests are worn IAW CAPR 62-1, which authorizes yellow. The Task Guide still says orange, but it's been overturned by the new regs. That said, I prefer orange, if for nothing else, for standardization and because it's the color used by hunters in the woods.

Storm Chaser

While this is not an official ANSI document (attached), it's a handy guide to help determine ANSI 2 compliance.

Storm Chaser

Panzerbjorn, could you post front and back pictures of the vest with all the 24-hour pack gear being worn? Thanks.

Panzerbjorn

Here ya go.  Im a little camera shy and didn't feel like getting into BBDUs to give the full effect, but i think this gives you an idea.

Front

Back
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Panzerbjorn

Full contents with room for additional equipment/gear as mission dictates.

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Storm Chaser

That's perfect. Thanks!

I can see what you were saying about the hydration system in the back. Is the vest comfortable with everything loaded? Do you have to take it off when jumping in the vehicle?

Thanks, again for the pictures and detailed review.

Panzerbjorn

I haven't field tested it yet, but I can give some initial impressions...

I'm definitely going to get a 2L hydration bladder that will fit the pocket better, and that may make a world of difference in comfort.  With the 3L one in there, all loaded and zipped up, it actually kind of feels like you have some back and lumbar support, waterbed style.  If you're the water bottle/canteen carrying type, it's not an issue at all.  It's as comfortable as wearing a jacket.

The top adjustment buckle on each side doesn't do a perfect job of not letting the strap slide through.  But that problem is easily fixed by either tying a knot in the strap after you have it adjusted correctly so it doesn't thread back through the buckle, or replace the strap side buckle with one that grips the strap better.

Personally, I would be taking this thing off and throwing it in the back if the vehicle if I go anywhere, especially if I'm the driver.  But I would think that you could custom arrange the pouches to be comfortable driving in it.  If you are doing UDF duties, you're not really needing a full 24-hour pack.  The pouches are easy enough to remove, and you're left with just the vest, and it's perfectly comfortable to ride around in a vehicle.  It puts on and takes off just as easily as putting on a jacket, and I've never needed to do SWAT team exits on a GT mission.

It comes down to hydration bladder selection and proper fit.  The one I have isn't a proper fit, but even that one isn't exactly uncomfortable when I'm wearing the rig fully loaded and walking around.  But the water will definitely warm up quick on a hot day from my body heat unless I can find an insulated bladder somewhere.  On the flip side of that, you won't have to worry about frozen water in the bladder using the rig in winter months.

I wouldn't recommend throwing away your Vanguard special orange vests once you get one of these rigs.  The rig is ideal to be carrying your 24-hour gear in it, but you'll run into plenty of times when you need an orange vest, but don't need to be loading yourself down with everything else.  This thing just gives you options, and I like it a whole lot better than carrying a pack.

Hope that helps!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

PHall

Try wrapping 1 (one) layer of Aluminium Foil around your water bladder.
You would be amazed how much heat transfer just one layer of foil will stop.

Panzerbjorn

Never heard of that before.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Samex

Hello everyone

First off I want to thank Panzerbjorn for the great breakdown product review. As mentioned this vest is very sturdy and won't let you down when it matters most. I want to address a couple of points from comments made. The hydration bladder compartment is designed to fit a 2L bladder.  We looked at accommodating the larger 3L but we found that it was too bulky and didn't fit and look right. The 2L fits very nice and rests nicely on the back.

The orange vest that we produce has a yellow trim instead of a black trim like the yellow vest. This was a last minute decision going into production. The yellow gives that much more visibility. We have taken the orange vest with black trim picture off the website. We will be posting new pictures of the orange vest shortly. The vests are designed to fit a number of purposes. It is also used and becoming popular in the construction industry. The elastic self closing slit on the back works great for the hose from a hydration bladder but it's primary design is to accommodate the rope from a fall arrest harness. The "garter" straps as referred to can also be used for those in the construction industry to hold their tool belts.  The quick attachment system makes it ideal for the worker to attach the tool belt to the vest which in turn becomes a load bearing system. So as you can see there was allot of thought and development that went into the vest. 

The first aid pouch is designed to hold a first aid kit. We are working on an actual tear away medical pouch. We are also developing other pouches which will be added to the website as they become available. The response to the vest has been amazing with several dealers contacting us to carry the Duty Apparel brand.

Again thank you for the feedback!

Roger Rondeau

On Duty Equipment Ltd -Duty Apparel

Storm Chaser

Has anyone else here in CAP Talk purchased this MOLLE vest? Anymore feedback from other members?

Samex

Hello,

We have had quite a few vests purchased by CAP Talk members as the discount code has been used allot.  We continue to ship vests on a regular basis.  The New Zealand Air Force Expeditionary Squadron has made a purchase as well as various SAR teams.  It's a great vest, I know those who buy our products will not be disappointed!!

Roger Rondeau

On Duty Equipment Ltd - Duty Apparel

Storm Chaser

Panzerbjorn, have you had a chance to field test your orange MOLLE vest yet?

Panzerbjorn

Not yet, I've been up in the sky the last few weeks, but I'll have a chance to take it out in the field soon, and I'll update my 'review'.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

williamburdge

I had hoped to purchase one of these vests for a coming SARex but I can't make the discount code work.  Is the 10% off for CAP members still available?

Storm Chaser

As far as I know, the 10% discount is still valid.

I'm interested in buying one of these as well, but the shipping cost (from Canada) is a bit too much. Unfortunately, I was unable to take advantage of the 15% discount they offered for a limited time.

Samex

Hello everyone,

The 10% discount is still in effect for CAP members.  I am reposting the code number for everyone to use.  8H3C508Q7JBG

Please enter this discount code during check out.  I see from some of the posts that some believe the shipping cost is high.  The cost to ship to the US is a flat $25.00 CAD which is very reasonable.

Roger Rondeau

On Duty Equipment Ltd - Duty Apparel

Майор Хаткевич

Just placed an order. Will report once it comes in.