Main Menu

Hunter Orange MOLLE Vest

Started by Samex, January 17, 2014, 06:20:34 PM

SarDragon

IIRC, there's a spec for the vest in 60-something that requires it to be ANSI II compliant. There might not be enough area in the vest to comply. There might be more discussion of this farther up in the thread.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panzerbjorn

I'm guessing you haven't ordered one. When you select your color on the product screen, you can select either orange or yellow and ANSI Or Canadian equivalent. They seem to have it covered.

http://www.dutyapparel.com/collections/safety/products/hi-vis-molle-vest

Check it out!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

jeders

Quote from: SarDragon on June 12, 2014, 09:36:26 PM
IIRC, there's a spec for the vest in 60-something that requires it to be ANSI II compliant. There might not be enough area in the vest to comply. There might be more discussion of this farther up in the thread.

Yes, according to Samex, this vest meets ANSI class 2 requirements.

Quote from: BHartman007 on June 12, 2014, 05:56:13 PM
Question:
I was looking through the 24 hour pack requirements, and one of the required items is "Vest, reflective, orange". Does this mean that if I bought one of these (or any other) that it has to be the orange version instead of the yellow, or that regardless of the color of the SAR vest, you still have to have the $5 orange vest in a pocket somewhere?

The task guides, which are not regulatory, require that you have an orange vest. 60-2 requires that you have an ANSI class 2 compliant outergarment (orange or yellow). This vest in yellow absolutely meets our regulatory requirements, but the vest that is "required" by the task guides does not. I intend on buying this vest in yellow, that seems to match most public safety types better than orange, and I'll carry my old cheap-o orange vest just in case.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Storm Chaser

Quote from: jeders on June 13, 2014, 01:17:34 PM
The task guides, which are not regulatory, require that you have an orange vest. 60-2 requires that you have an ANSI class 2 compliant outergarment (orange or yellow).

Actually, that's CAPR 62-1.

This vest in yellow absolutely meets our regulatory requirements, but the vest that is "required" by the task guides does not. I intend on buying this vest in yellow, that seems to match most public safety types better than orange, and I'll carry my old cheap-o orange vest just in case.

The ANSI II yellow vest meets the safety requirements in CAPR 62-1, but not the uniform requirements in CAPM 39-1, which require the vest to be orange. The new CAPM 39-1 Draft also stated that the vest must be orange, although that's not final yet. I actually submitted a comment letting them know of the discrepancy between CAPR 62-1 and CAPM 39-1. Hopefully, they'll address that.

jeders

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 13, 2014, 04:46:16 PM
The task guides, which are not regulatory, require that you have an orange vest. 60-2 requires that you have an ANSI class 2 compliant outergarment (orange or yellow).

That's it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SARDOC

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 13, 2014, 04:46:16 PM

This vest in yellow absolutely meets our regulatory requirements, but the vest that is "required" by the task guides does not. I intend on buying this vest in yellow, that seems to match most public safety types better than orange, and I'll carry my old cheap-o orange vest just in case.

The ANSI II yellow vest meets the safety requirements in CAPR 62-1, but not the uniform requirements in CAPM 39-1, which require the vest to be orange. The new CAPM 39-1 Draft also stated that the vest must be orange, although that's not final yet. I actually submitted a comment letting them know of the discrepancy between CAPR 62-1 and CAPM 39-1. Hopefully, they'll address that.

I'm thinking that the Orange is probably an oversight.  Vanguard has CAP specific vests that are the Yellow color.  I'm betting they are okay.

a2capt

The Big V, sell something that's not within spec? Never!  :angel:

Panzerbjorn

So.....has there been a delay in stocking the item?  It's still showing as a pre-order item on the website, and I'm getting antsy. :)
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Spaceman3750

How fast is your shipping to the US?

Samex

Hello Everyone,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.  The vests are in stock and we have been very busy filling the pre-orders!!!  Go ahead and place your orders now as they are going fast.  We will be updating the website shortly but they are in stock!!!!

Roger Rondeau

On Duty Equipment Ltd - Duty Apparel

Samex

We ship expedited service to the US via Canada Post/US Post.  It usually takes 5 to 7 business days.  We usually ship within 24 hours of receiving the order.  We have extended the 15% discount until the 8th of July.  After that date it will be the standard 10% discount for CAP members.

Roger Rondeau

Samex

Hello everyone,

As indicated in earlier posts, we are now offering our 10% standard discount to CAP members on all our products.  Please visit our website www.dutyapparel.com and enter discount code 8H3C508Q7JBG during checkout to receive the discount.  Thank you to all of you who placed your orders early and took advantage of the 15% discount that we offered for a limited time.

We are working on new pouches and I will update everyone as soon as they arrive!

Roger Rondeau

Panzerbjorn

So I received mine earlier this week.  I ordered the vest, two of the medium utility pouches, one first aid pouch, one travel organizer pouch, and one GPS pouch.  I haven't field tested it yet, but these are my initial impressions.

The vest is made from very sturdy material, and it being ANSI II rated is stamped right on the tag.  There is plenty of MOLLE real estate on the vest itself.  It's pretty equivalent to what you would find on a tactical assault vest.  The material is thick and sturdy, and it feels like you're putting on a sleeveless jacket.  Even with some of the vest made from mesh material, it's lines with heavy material that will retain heat.

There is a hydration pocket sewn to the inside of the vest.  The pocket is 8 inches by 14 inches, and seems like it'll hold a 2L bladder. It doesn't fit my 3L all that well.  Because the pocket is sewn to the inside of the vest, it bulges inwards with a bladder inserted.  This could be uncomfortable for some people, and your back will heat up the water in the bladder.

Each side of the vest has three adjustment straps.  These are important as I discovered that if they aren't secured snugly, the back of the vest will pull down from the weight of a water-filled hydration bladder and any filled pouches attached to the back of the vest.  If the straps are snug, it's not a problem.

There are two pockets sewn into the inside of the vest suitable for small objects or paperwork.  However, there are not any flaps covering the pockets that would protect the contents from dripping sweat or rainwater.

Also sewn to the inside of the vest are four 'garters' that can be adjusted and secured to a rigger's belt.  Not too shabby and handy to keep a fully loaded vest from shifting around.

GPS Pouch:  this pouch is specifically designed for a handheld GPS.  It attaches to the vest with a single strap, and is the only pouch out of the ones I bought that you can't do a proper MOLLE weave.  The pocket for the GPS is wide with a clear flexible plastic face and elastic sides.  The GPS is retained in the pocket by an elastic strap over the top.  I own a Garmin 62stc and it fits very loose in the pocket with no real way to snug it up.  So, I will retain a lanyard on the GPS as I don't feel 100% sure the pouch can be trusted.  One feature of the pouch is to release the Velcro tabs holding the GPS pocket upright, and it folds forward into 'desk mode'.  It's not a bad pouch if you have a GPS that will fit it well, but between the inability to weave the MOLLE strap, and the GPS is loose in the pocket, I'll probably switch to another pouch at some point.

Medium Utility Pouches: These pouches are huge and hold plenty of stuff on the 24-hour gear list.  It's just an open space pouch that zips closed.  On the inside is a Velcro panel and a Velcro strap that can be used for whatever.  Nothing particularly fancy about the pouch, but you can weave the straps into your MOLLE webbing.

First Aid Pouch: Nothing particularly fancy about this pouch either except for the Red Cross embroidered into the front of the pouch.  Otherwise, it's just a slightly smaller version of the utility pouch in every way.

Travel Organizer Pouch: this pouch has two large zippered compartments suitable for your maps and map tools.  It also has a vertical zipper pocket on the front of the pouch that is large enough to accommodate your compass and a few tools like your pocketknife/multi-tool.  There is a single pen pocket on the front of the pouch as well as a flap-covered flashlight pocket.  I miss having a Velcro flap covering the front pockets that you would see on a tactical map pouch, but otherwise, this is probably my favorite pouch of the three types.

The vest has enough MOLLE real estate to accommodate a GPS pouch, Medium Utility Pouch, Travel Organizer, and First Aid Pouch on the front, and has enough webbing on the back of the vest to accommodate two additional Medium. Utility Pouches.  All the pouches come in flourescent Orange or Flourescent Yellow.  My preference would be to wear the orange pouches, but may at some point go back to my tried and true pouches that are in OD Green or Coyote Tan.  At the time of this post, there isn't a large selection of orange MOLLE pouches from ANYWHERE. 

I was able to fit most of my 24-hour gear into the pouches I bought.  In hindsight, I probably should have bought a third Medium Utility Pouch.  But the vest and pouches show promise for field use.

I'll post pictures when I have a chance to take them.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

jeders

Panzer, did you get the vest in orange or yellow?

Panzerbjorn

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Panzerbjorn

As promised, photos.

The Vest

Front view of the vest fully loaded

Rear view

ANSI II rating.

Internal Hydration pocket with 3L bladder inserted.  The pocket is definitely more suited for a 2L or less bladder.

Bladder retaining strap and Velcro pocket closures.

Internal flat pocket.  One on left and right front sides of the vest.

Four rigger belt garters are sewn into the inside of the vest.  Completely adjustable.

Three straps on either side provide plenty of adjustment room for bigger wearers.  Each side can be expanded six to seven inches.  The vest itself comes in sizes from S to 3XL.

close-up elastic hydration hose opening and drag handle.

D-ring and webbing loop for securing hydration hose, radio mike, etc.

Newly discovered pockets.  Huge internal zip-up pockets on the left and right sides of the vest.  The volume of the pocket equals the entire area of the webbed front panels.  The front of the panel is mesh, so storage of items that need to be kept dry would not be suitable in these pockets unless they are placed in waterproof bags. My personal use for one of these pockets is keeping my carefully folded poncho in it.  The pocket bulges outward, keeping the wear of the vest comfortable.

GPS Pouch

Front view of pouch attached to vest.

internal pocket for GPS with clear window. A Garmin 62stc fits somewhat loosely in the pocket with no way to snug the pocket up around the GPS.  The pouch is in 'desk mode.

Travel Organizer (Map Pouch)

Front view.

Compass pocket.

Plenty of room to accommodate a full-size folded map.

One of two zippered pockets. Note additional internal zippered pocket.

Flapped flashlight pocket on the front of the pouch.

Ladder webbing on rear of pouch for weaving the MOLLE straps. This pouch has two MOLLE straps. All the pouches except the GPS pouch have this configuration.

First Aid Pouch

Front of pouch.

Internal view of pouch with Velcro panel.  Note that the pouch is open on the inside with no elastic loops or pockets found in typical medical pouches to organize medical tools and supplies.  This
pouch is best used to store a first aid kit such shown in this and previous image.

Medium Utility Pouch

This is the only utility pouch that this company makes at the moment.  Dollar bill is used for scale.  Note an external zippered pocket.

Internal view.  Plenty of space to pack your usual items in.

Fully loaded weight of the vest, pouches, and all items on the standard 24-hour gear (including additional GTL items) comes to 16 lbs.  Individual results, of course, will vary on your items carried.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Eclipse

Definitely a nice rig - this type is what CAP should be making the "official" vest for ground ops.

Tactikewl enough, doesn't have to be covered, not a plate carrier, not Airsoft, won't get lost in the woods and
won't be confused with a cosplayer.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I like it, but I'm not crazy about the yellow border around the reflective tape. The picture on their website clearly shows a black border that, in my opinion, looks much better.

Eclipse

Isn't the Yellow border required for ANSI on an orange vest?

That's how I've always seen them, and the how the ANSI tape I bought for my vest is.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I don't believe so. My current ANSI II vest doesn't have it. I have the published standard somewhere; I'll look it up and try to post it later.