Main Menu

Texas A&M University

Started by C/Arose, October 23, 2013, 03:31:22 PM

C/Arose

Hi all,

The school in the title is currently my first choice school. I am almost sure I can get in, and through the JCAp program get some serious scholarship money. As a Senior Military College, I would assume that CAP cadets have a sizable presence here. Therefore, can any past or present TAMU cadets help a prospective fish out on life in the Corps, staying active in CAP, and general experiences?

Thanks and gig 'em,

ALEX L. ROSE, C/CMSgt, CAP
Cadet NCO-IC
NER-NH-010
C/CMSgt Alex L. Rose
Seacoast Composite Squadron

MacGruff

Actually, the military presence at Texas A&M is minuscule and it is a HUGE school. One of my sons considered going there for similar reasons to yours, and specifically the Senior Military College thing, but was disappointed there as they had the smallest cadet corps of the six. He ended up applying to Norwich, but it did not work out for him and he's finishing his degree elsewhere.

I am not aware of their CAP presence, I'll leave that to others to address.

skymaster

Has anyone considered the University of North Georgia as second choice? It is the Military College of Georgia, is one of those "other six" previously referred to, and the military program is a huge part of the educational experience there. Even out of state students are eligible to apply for the several available Georgia Military Scholarships out there, in exchange for a few years of service as an officer in the Georgia National Guard. There are several CAP members in the Corps of Cadets there, and while there isn't currently a CAP unit on campus, there are 3 squadrons nearby: a senior squadron in Dahlonega, and composite squadrons in Gainesville (about 25 miles away) and Blairsville (35 miles away). Also, they do commission up to 80 officers per year in the active-duty Armed Forces, from an Army Combat Arms-based ROTC programme. The culture of the school is a bit different from most military colleges in that they also have a sizable non-military (mostly coed) student body that study alongside the large military population of the school. If you are interested in finding out more, I would highly recommend checking out  http://ung.edu/military-college/.

Offutteer

Cadet Rose,

If you're going to JCAP, you'll meet some of the CAP cadets that are in the Corps.  Most of them are not on this board, though.  JCAP is for JROTC and CAP cadets, and the running of the program includes lots of CAP cadets.  I can email a few of the cadets there that I know your information (please send it to me via P/M).

Have you also looked into Norwich?

Huey Driver

I've just visited Norwich two weeks ago, for an open house. If you're at all looking for a Corps of Cadets, Norwich is essential to check out. Especially if you just live in NH. I'd highly recommend attending an open house.

http://www.norwich.edu/admissions/open-houses/

However, since you want to go to Texas, I'm assuming you're escaping to milder weather  ;D
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

jimmydeanno

Norwich offers a scholarship for CAP cadets who join their corps of cadets, to the tune of 20k, OUTCRY.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Garibaldi

Quote from: JerseyCadet on October 23, 2013, 09:04:15 PM
I've just visited Norwich two weeks ago, for an open house. If you're at all looking for a Corps of Cadets, Norwich is essential to check out. Especially if you just live in NH. I'd highly recommend attending an open house.

However, since you want to go to Texas, I'm assuming you're escaping to milder weather  ;D

Milder? Have you ever been to Texas in the summer?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

I happened to looked into Norwich back in my youth. Beautiful campus and highly respected military leaders graduate from there.

The upside to Texas is Tex-Mex cuisine. My youngest daughter is looking into U of Hawaii   8)

Offutteer

The JCAP scholarship (available to CAP cadets, along with JROTC cadets), is small ($2,400 over 4 years I think), BUT it makes the recipient eligible for in-state tuition and that is huge.

unmlobo

I did JCAP years ago and it was a great adventure.  The Corps of Cadets was amazing and the esprit de corps is on par with the Marines.  There are so many options for ROTC and degrees there. JCAP was a great networking tool for JROTC and would assume so for CAP.  It's kind of like a big encampment mixed with a gentleman's course.  However I also participated in a similar program at then NGCSU now UNG.   I found GA more along my lines.  The school is down the road from Camp Merrill, Mtn phase of Ranger school.  This has endeared them to the Rangers and Mtn training.  Highly recommend North Georgia and their leadership weekend. 
Major, CAP
HI WG

Huey Driver

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 24, 2013, 05:09:03 AM

Milder weather during school season.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Garibaldi

Quote from: JerseyCadet on October 24, 2013, 08:54:06 PM

Again, I say...HAVE YOU BEEN TO TEXAS IN SUMMER???? There's only 2 seasons in Texas. Summer and...not exactly summer. 90 degrees on Christmas Day is hardly milder weather.  >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

And it's NOT a dry heat!

Having lived in and visited places all over the US, I can say that comfort-wise, it's easier to pile on more layers in a cold place than it is to remove them in a hot place. My chief complaint about cold places isn't so much the cold, as it is the snow. I'm too olde to be shoveling that crap any more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I don't mind hot, but I hate humid.

Texas, Mississippi, Florida, New Orleans.  Please human beings were not intended to live.

I'll take Phoenix at 112 over Orlando at 90.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2013, 05:20:22 AM
My chief complaint about cold places isn't so much the cold, as it is the snow. I'm too olde to be shoveling that crap any more.
That's what kids are for... >:D

or mechanical assistance

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ColonelJack

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 25, 2013, 04:59:29 AM
Quote from: JerseyCadet on October 24, 2013, 08:54:06 PM

Again, I say...HAVE YOU BEEN TO TEXAS IN SUMMER???? There's only 2 seasons in Texas. Summer and...not exactly summer. 90 degrees on Christmas Day is hardly milder weather.  >:D

When I was at Lackland AFB, Christmas of 1975, the weather was ... well ... not exactly summer, but certainly not what I was used to!!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Laplace

Quote from: Eclipse on October 25, 2013, 05:23:29 AM
I don't mind hot, but I hate humid.

Texas, Mississippi, Florida, New Orleans.  Please human beings were not intended to live.

I'll take Phoenix at 112 over Orlando at 90.

I laughed out loud when I saw this.  Thought only we consider New Orleans to be a seperate state/entity from the rest of Louisiana....   ;D   

addo1

Quote from: C/Arose on October 23, 2013, 03:31:22 PM
Hi all,

The school in the title is currently my first choice school. I am almost sure I can get in, and through the JCAp program get some serious scholarship money. As a Senior Military College, I would assume that CAP cadets have a sizable presence here. Therefore, can any past or present TAMU cadets help a prospective fish out on life in the Corps, staying active in CAP, and general experiences?

Thanks and gig 'em,

ALEX L. ROSE, C/CMSgt, CAP
Cadet NCO-IC
NER-NH-010

Cadet Rose,

You are welcome to find and add me on Facebook and we can discuss the Corps.

...to the others on the page. The Corps is at an all time high right now - the presence on campus is overwhelming. CAP participation is also at an all time high, personally knowing 100+ active cadets/SMs in the Corps at this time.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010