Trying to identify this bag

Started by Eclipse, October 19, 2013, 03:31:38 AM

Eclipse

I've had this since I joined CAP - no idea where I got it, now #1 son has absconded with it for camping this weekend,
so I want to try and get a couple more so I don't lose mine.

I have something smaller that doesn't have the vinyl coating inside which I understand to be a parachute bag,
so I'm thinking this may be a larger version of that.

Quite honestly the most awesome bag for most overnight CAP activities, camping, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on October 19, 2013, 03:31:38 AM

I've had this since I joined CAP - no idea where I got it, now #1 son has absconded with it for camping this weekend,
so I want to try and get a couple more so I don't lose mine.

I have something smaller that doesn't have the vinyl coating inside which I understand to be a parachute bag,
so I'm thinking this may be a larger version of that.

Quite honestly the most awesome bag for most overnight CAP activities, camping, etc.

Yeah, that one's a parachute bag.  Pics of the smaller one?  I'm not sure what you're describing.

lordmonar

Also known as a Kit Bag, Fliers or A-3 bag.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

No tags inside? If not, it may have been made by a really skilled rigger. We had one of those WIW in Maine, and he made all sorts of kool stuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cliff_Chambliss

Parachute bag:   Bought two at the Clothing Sales Store at Ft Hood Texas a few years ago for my kids camping activities.  I recall they were not that expensive and I guess by now they have disappeared thru a yard sale or something.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Eclipse

eBay has a bunch of similar ones, though the material looks different.

Wish I could find the actual part # so I can get the same exact ones.

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

the older style is a canvas construction, newer ones are nylon.  I have many, one in particular thru flying circle, that has backpack straps as well.  I used to use it as a dive gear bag now its a SWAT gear bag and holding strong.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 19, 2013, 01:13:10 PM
eBay has a bunch of similar ones, though the material looks different.

Wish I could find the actual part # so I can get the same exact ones.

http://www.dlis.dla.mil/webflis/pub/pub_search.aspx?PINC=0004475&newpage=1&start=y

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Hey that's my work bag for all my gear.... I wondered where it went to.

MSG Mac

The smaller bag is most likely a helmet bag.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Blackhawk

Quote from: lordmonar on October 19, 2013, 05:35:41 AM

Ironically, the Army probably uses them more often than the USAF.  Every paratrooper carries one of these and is part of the Jumpmaster Personnel Inspection (JMPI), its used to place their chute in after hitting the ground for turn-in. They are one of the best bags ever made!

PHall

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on October 20, 2013, 07:21:25 PM

Ironically, the Army probably uses them more often than the USAF.  Every paratrooper carries one of these and is part of the Jumpmaster Personnel Inspection (JMPI), its used to place their chute in after hitting the ground for turn-in. They are one of the best bags ever made!

I don't know about that. Every time I deployed on a 30 day trip to the AOR I had 3 or 4 of those bags.
For aircrew we used them to carry our aircrew and ground chem warfare stuff plus our "D" bag which had stuff like web gear, body armour and sleeping bag.
So you were looking at say four of those bags plus your suit case and your book bag and of course the helmet bag that everyone has plus a helmet bag with a helmet!
Uncle Sam does not travel light!

lordmonar

The Parachute Carrying Bag is smaller and the web straps are farther apart were they are sewn into the bag.

lordmonar

In my Combat Comm days.....we had our A-Bag (an A-3 with our Kevlar, web gear, and other battle rattle.) our B-Bag (an A-3 with our sleeping bag, and cold weather gear) our C-Bag (an A-3 with our Chem Warfare Stuff) and our D-Bag (an A-3 with our personal gear).

Blackhawk

Quote from: lordmonar on October 20, 2013, 08:14:32 PM

The Parachute Carrying Bag is smaller and the web straps are farther apart were they are sewn into the bag.

I've used this same bag on jumps, still have a couple.

Slim

Love those bags.

I'm up to four of them now.  I keep two for going to activities like encampment; one for clothing and one for miscellaneous crap for dorm room and office.  I keep all of my 24 hour gear in one, while the fourth one holds my turnout gear very nicely.

Slim

NIN

Kitbag... needs to be as ubiquitous in your gear as a poncho liner. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.