I'm starting to hate this website big time

Started by C/Awesomenesss, October 11, 2013, 08:08:48 PM

C/Awesomenesss

I'm starting to hate this website big time!!!!!!!!!!

Flying Pig

Don't let it ruin your day.  If its not your thing.... move on.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Is anyone forcing you to go on it?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 11, 2013, 08:08:48 PM
I'm starting to hate this website big time!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting.....agitated by your topic names. A Topic is supposed to tell me what you are going to talk about. So your topic is "I'm agitated by this site" and your post is the reasons. What you have now...you're 16. You'll be my age quite soon. You'll be kicking yourself.

Elioron

I generally counsel my cadets to stay away from this site.  There can be good information, but this is the internet and unless you're willing to be an adult about things and have a thick skin, this isn't the place for you. 

This isn't a good place to ask questions as much as discuss things and look for opinions.  If you're asking a question as a cadet, you have a lot of other places you should be looking first.  There are some great resources that look at these posts, and some not-so-great sources.  Take things with a grain of salt and realize that your unit staff will always have the specific answers you need (or get them for you).  Regardless of what you hear from any other source (aside from CAP regulations and supplements) your chain of command supersedes it all.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

Майор Хаткевич

Flying Pig

^HAAAAAAA :clap: :clap:

Майор Хаткевич

SarDragon

Here's the first PM I sent you:

Quote from: SarDragon on September 04, 2013, 06:32:15 AM
QuoteIve had it up to here with all the negitive things said I ask one simple question and no one really told me what to do. I really starting to hate this site. I thought this was a site that you ask a question and other CAP members help you but i guess not.

It is a place to get help, but you need to follow the rules a little bet better. You asked for information. You got it. You apparently didn't like it, or think it met your needs. There's not much we can do about that.

Then you got a little bit of a smart-ass attitude. That didn't help.

After we suggested that you put a little more care into your posts, your response, quoted below, was incorrect and inappropriate. If you've been in CAP 4 years, that makes you at least 15, and likely 16. You should know better.

QuoteI did use proper grammar and spelling. So there. :p >:(

Examination of your posts reveals mistakes in punctuation, spelling, or grammar, in almost of every one of them. Your non-use of apostrophes is almost universal.

In general, you gain much more credibility and get better responses to your posts if you take a closer look at the grammar, punctuation, and/or spelling in them. Using the shift and apostrophe keys on your keyboard when needed is also a plus. Unlike texting and tweeting, we like to see real words, and complete sentences. "I'm posting from a phone" is not a good excuse.

While this is an informal forum, many posters try to make their posts look good to improve the credibility. Readers will treat your posts more seriously if they see that you think they are important enough to use correct English.

Your posts are a look at you and your attitude. If you don't care how your posts look, a lot of folks aren't going to care enough to help you out, or pay attention to what you write. There are also all kinds of people reading what you write on CT who could help decide your future, particularly in CAP.

Here's your response:

Quote from: Awesomenesss on September 04, 2013, 02:35:04 PM
whatever.

Here's another PM:

Quote from: SarDragon on October 04, 2013, 08:51:07 PM
You're right, I did send it twice. Maybe I thought you needed a reminder.

If you would spend less time being offended that someone corrected you, and more time paying attention to the message, you'll be a lot better off.

We're not trying to beat up on you, we're trying to guide you. Sometimes guidance might be unpleasant, because it seeks to change your behavior. Making those changes is mart of the maturing process.

You state that you want to be a pilot. Yet you show few of the traits necessary to do so. Attention to detail seems like an afterthought, you do not take direction well, and for being in "one of the best squadron in the US", you have made little progress in the cadet program, making me question your initiative.

The choice is your. I hope you make a good one.

I will reiterate - we are trying to help you. If you refuse the help, there's not much else we can do.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Critical AOA

As every CAP Talk thread eventually devolves into a uniform thread, let me be the first to go there.  Time to grow up and put on your big boy pants.  Just make sure they comply with 39-1. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

JC004

I have changed the topic title.  Please DO NOT continue to post topics with only a couple of words, which indicate nothing about the topic.  They will be moderated.  It has already annoyed enough members.  If nothing else, it's a little gesture of respect for the time of people who are reading and would like to determine what they wish to read.

Take some time to think about what you are posting and whether those things project maturity, respect, and intelligence.  As a matter of forum policy, we generally do not remove old posts for people who ask that their old posts be removed.  This can, and has, reflected poorly on people who are applying for scholarships, colleges, and jobs. 

Do you want a potential employer or someone else reading some day that you have a certain attitude or level of respect for people?  You could very deeply regret it.  Many of these scholarship organizations, colleges, and employers search manually for information on candidates.  Some use highly sophisticated electronic systems that check online archives, tie together user names and patterns, etc.  Should you ever apply for a security clearance (military or civilian), this could become a problem.  Learn from the mistakes of others.

There are many people here who are willing to help you.  They will if you are respectful to them and you ask.  If you've been disrespectful to them, you can just apologize and I am certain from observing members in the past that they'll help and guide you.  If you give people attitude and are disrespectful, they won't help you.  They may even feel like returning the treatment. 

On a side note, I can say that if you're starting topics on things like having no idea how to order your ribbons after being a member for 4 years, and starting a bunch of other topics on things that are easily found in the Search function or online (whether ABUs are authorized, for example), people will think that you're just trying to be a troll.  Do use the search button.  I'm not certain why you can't access CAPMembers.com if you CAN access CAPTalk.net, but those answers are there as well, and after 4 years, you'd know that.

Storm Chaser

While there are many cadets that post on this site, this is really not a board geared toward cadets. The majority of the posters here are senior members and you should keep that in mind when you post (assuming you stick around).

Майор Хаткевич

I only joined actively as a cadet because eclipse mentioned me. :)

Private Investigator

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 12, 2013, 12:57:01 AM
As every CAP Talk thread eventually devolves into a uniform thread, let me be the first to go there.  Time to grow up and put on your big boy pants.  Just make sure they comply with 39-1.

Can the big boy pants be ABUs?   ;)

Pylon

This thread is not professional nor productive.  As with everyone here, if you don't like this site nobody forces you to come here.  That being said, I continue to expect that we treat all members with dignity and respect — even if we disagree with their stance or attitude.

To Awesomeness, this is a professional discussion board (as I've reiterated over and over again to the community) and is not intended to be an "online hangout" or "office water cooler" for CAP members.  While some level of familial discussions are allowed to foster community, as a predominately professionally-focused discussion board there is a certain level of maturity expected.  This extends to people using discretion, tact, proper English and correct grammar to a reasonable point, respect for other members, and refraining from outbursts.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP