Main Menu

Calendars & Communications

Started by Walkman, September 18, 2013, 02:36:38 AM

Walkman

With the new CPP draft stating that there needs to be a unit web-based calendar coupled with the fact that our unit site is way, WAY in need of an overhaul, I've been thinking of how to do this. Has anyone had much success with a unit calendar that gets used? I'm also wondering if anyone has used a system that can do auto-alerts for subscribers? What I had in mind would be something where members can opt of either a text or email notification on calendar events.

What's been the best for you to keep lines of communications open and flowing in your unit efficiently? Not everyone does email, some likes, not everyone does Facebook. Is there a flexible platform out there to use?

Eclipse

Google Calendar.

It's free, people with Smartphones, iOS devices, and ((*gag*)) even Outlook can subscribe to it without commingling the data,
and it's super easy to use.  You can set reminders, but doing global reminders would require mailing and text lists.  Simple,
but needs the whole apps suite (which is also free).

Facebook is a non-starter if for no other reason then you have to be 13 to use it, which seems to be lost on much of CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

JeffDG

Vote #3 for Google Apps.

Implementing it in our Wing, and different Wing departments have their own calendars (for example, ES has one with all the SAREXs on it), and units can just have their unit calendar display these automagically, along with their own events.

Also, note, that any internet presence you have requires Wing Commander or designee approval, and must be reviewed annually, by September 30, so work through your chain-of-command too on this.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on September 18, 2013, 12:03:00 PMImplementing it in our Wing, and different Wing departments have their own calendars (for example, ES has one with all the SAREXs on it), and units can just have their unit calendar display these automagically, along with their own events.

This is how we're doing it as well - each calendar administrator can add the things the feel are important, and anyone can subscribe to
some all or none.  This gives the Wing CC and others a top-down view of what's going on.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

I've been using Google Drive for a little while, but mostly as a way store some files for remote access. I share a couple of things. I really haven't explored it yet, I guess I should.

While I can go and RTM, did I catch you right, Eclipse, that G-Cal can send both text AND email notifications?

johnnyb47

www.texcom.com

Calendar/events
Online doc storage (only somewhat secure. I wouldn't store PI there)
Alerts via email, SMS, Facebook
Email groups can be setup for different alert or event categories

It wasn't dificult to setup either and was free when I started using it for our squadron.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on September 18, 2013, 02:12:21 PM
I've been using Google Drive for a little while, but mostly as a way store some files for remote access. I share a couple of things. I really haven't explored it yet, I guess I should.

While I can go and RTM, did I catch you right, Eclipse, that G-Cal can send both text AND email notifications?

Yes, but with some caveats - the person setting up the appointment has to indicate that they want reminders, and then those
reminders can be sent via email.   From there you'd set up a mailing list for email or text.  I can think of a few ways to do
it, but they would all be somewhat of a kludge.

You can also copy events to a personal calendar, and then set any reminder you want.

Reminders to the calendar admin or individual user are no problem.  I'd have to look at the options for a shared corporate calendar.
The problem is that subscribing to a calendar doesn't provide rights to the the device reading it.

"That Others May Zoom"