Air Force Association (AFA)

Started by Blackhawk, September 04, 2013, 04:07:55 PM

Blackhawk

I was wondering if anyone out there was a member of the Air Force Association (AFA) and specifically, if they have offered any kind of benefit to your units. 

Майор Хаткевич

They have the AFA and AFSA awards for cadets that we can buy.

Ned

The AFA is one of the strongest supporters of CAP.  They literally invented CyberPatriot, sponsor cadet awards, provide office space for our legislative guy in the DC area, and work with us closely on many projects.

Brig Gen (Ret) Sandy Schlitt, a former Board Chairman of the AFA, serves on our Board of Governors.  He is active and engaged, and fully committed to CAP.

Because of everthing AFA does for CAP, even as a retired Army officer, I am a proud member of AFA.

Eclipse

The AFA has a strong and valued relationship with CAP, however to the OP's question, I don't believe they provide
much in regards to resources at the unit level, beyond a recruiting contact.   At least that was my experience.

"That Others May Zoom"

ironputts

I am an AFA member and also prior military. Every year I apply for the outstanding cadet of the year (squadron) award through AFA. Every year a local chapter member attends our annual holiday dinner and presents the the cadet. AFA also offers scholarships. From our website:

For many years, the Air Force Association has recognized the significant aerospace contributions of Civil Air Patrol to our nation.  In an effort to demonstrate the esteem AFA holds for the work CAP volunteer members accomplish throughout our country, the AFA provides Aerospace Education grants and awards for CAP's adult, educator, and youth members.  Each partnership program is explained in the bold link for each area below. 

•AFA'S NATIONAL CAP AEROSPACE EDUCATION CADET OF THE YEAR AWARD

•AFA'S CAP UNIT OUTSTANDING CADET OF THE YEAR RECOGNITION

•AFA's CAP UNIT AE GRANT

•AFA'S CAP EDUCATOR MEMBER AE GRANT
•AFA'S CYBERPATRIOT PROGRAM

•NOTE: In addition to the programs above, an AFA representative annually attends CAP's National Board and Conference to recognize, with a special AFA plaque, CAP's Senior Member of the Year and CAP's Cadet of the Year.
Civil Air Patrol expresses sincere appreciation for all the Air Force Association does to educate, advocate, and support the Aerospace Education mission for our nation. 

Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Offutteer

I know that the AFA Chapter in Dallas gives scholarships to Texas cadets to attend the flight academies that the wing puts on.  The local CAP squadron presents the Colors for the AFA dinners and other events.

If there is a local AFA Chapter in your area, I'd start a relationship with them.  First, they could provide guest speakers, if nothing else.  After the relationship is established, then ask for a scholarship for the cadets. 

A.Member

Lifetime member.  To echo Ned's post, they're a strong supporter of CAP both in programs (ex. CyberPatriot, cadet programs) and financially to our Wing.  They are welcomed guests at our annual Wing Conference.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jimmydeanno

The AFA chapters near all the units I've ever been a member of have provided direct assistance to our unit beyond the AFA award. 

One unit, the local chapter provided 3 solo scholarships to our cadets -each year-.  Criteria was set by us, awarded by us.  They just cut the checks.

One unit, they gave us $2,500/year to fund our color guard and honor guard programs.  We were able to buy rifles, flags, accouterments, pay for travel to and from events, lodging, etc., with the money.

One unit, they were able to provide significant help in community connections for fundraising efforts.  Since they all "know people" they knew what businesses in the local area would be willing to support our unit and we were able to raise quite a bit of money that way.

Besides that, they were always championing the cadet program and would invite us to their meetings and other events.  Great organization.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Mitchell 1969

I don't know if they still have it, but AFA used to offer a "cadet membership" at half price or so, open to USAFA, AFROTC, AFROTC and CAP cadets. I took advantage if it way back when.

I have been a "Life Member" of AFA since 1977.

Asking about what AFA offers, in my opinion, is like asking what CAP offers. Both are national organizations offering a lot. But the delivery is at the local level. And, if you've seen one, you've seen...one.

I attended a few AFA local chapter meetings. Great people. I remember lots of AFROTC and AFROTC support. Scholarships, contributions for equipment and field trips, visits to units to present awards, act as DVs for inspections. NOTHING for CAP. So I asked. And was told:

"We'd love to. But where are they? We don't know when they meet. Harvey there looked up a unit on a website. No phone number, but it said they met Tuesdays at 1900 at the airport admin building. When he went there, nobody. And nobody had any information about them. " (I later looked at the website. It looked like a cadet effort, last entry over 3 years old, probably abandoned when the cadet went off to Harvard or the Marines...)

In other words....seek out your local AFA. Develop a relationship before asking for anything. Invite them to be guest speakers ( still a few WWII guys involved, but fading fast, listen while you can). Personally invite them to the Squadron open house. Spring for a couple of tickets to the annual dinner, give them to the chapter president. Let them know you exist, that we're partners, and see what you can do for them - be it color guard for a meeting or helping out at the golf tournement (big $$ source for some chapters).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

flyboy53

I'm a member -- since 1978 and a life member since 1987. There was a time when AFA and AFSA affiliation were mentions necessary in APRs and OERs. I used to attend chapter meetings of both organizations and pretty much enjoyed the fact that I was among other Air Force types. Now I'm geographically separated from everything -- otherwise I'd be there.

You should consider joining your local chapter. Then you can advocate for your unit and see what can be offered. It isn't so much what the AFA or AFSA can do for your unit, as much as you can do for your unit by being a member. In the meantime, get to enjoy a pretty great magazine and all the other AFA benefits.

One other thing, AFA provides office space for CAP's national legislative liaison. Thus, the association is kept pretty much up to date on CAP needs and activities.

SARDOC

I serve on the Executive Committee of the local AFA Chapter primarily as the Civil Air Patrol Liaison.  They help us out on the local level quite a bit, it's as a result of our affiliation with them that our Squadron has a place to meet.  They also offer a number of academic and flight scholarships to Civil Air Patrol and AFJROTC cadets in this area as well as the largest purchaser for the wreaths across America for our unit.  I'm thankful for their assistance and in return we provide cadets to assist them with Veterans day/Memorial day functions.

If you have a chapter close to you, I would at least approach them it doesn't hurt.

Sleepwalker

I am sorry to say that during the past five years as a Squadron Commander I had emailed and written letters to the AFA several times and never once received any response.  Not once.  My questions were not elaborate or demanding so I never understood the disconnect.   
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

SARDOC

Quote from: Sleepwalker on September 05, 2013, 10:16:28 AM
I am sorry to say that during the past five years as a Squadron Commander I had emailed and written letters to the AFA several times and never once received any response.  Not once.  My questions were not elaborate or demanding so I never understood the disconnect.   

Have you tried the local chapter?  I probably wouldn't expect a response from National.  I've always gotten a response from the local chapter though.

Sleepwalker

I had tried at multiple AFA levels - no response from anything. 
A Thiarna, déan trócaire