Main Menu

EAA & CAP

Started by Peeka, July 08, 2013, 06:38:30 PM

RiverAux

Quote from: Ned on July 11, 2013, 08:35:11 PM
And, as others have noted, any cadet can opt out very easily via eServices.

Shouldn't this be something that the parents should be deciding on when they sign their child's membership application?   Are parents informed that their child's information may be given to other organizations in such a way that they can choose to opt out? 

Ned

Quote from: RiverAux on July 11, 2013, 09:39:08 PM

Shouldn't this be something that the parents should be deciding on when they sign their child's membership application?   

Good question.  What do you think?

Are you aware of any complaints or difficulties since the program started 18 years ago?

What do other youth serving organizations do in this regard?  Do the Scouts, Boys Clubs, or the Royal Rangers ever share inforamation with trusted partners?  How about schools?  JROTC?

What are the "best practices" in this regard?

Does the CG Auxiliary ever partner with other organizations to increase member benefits?

Both of my daughters received a lot of mail while they were in high school from businesses that appear to have gotten their information from the school district (colleges, armed forces recruiters, photographers, class ring jewlers, and of course about 10,000 expensive prom-related items like limos, restaurants, florists, etc.).  As a parent, should I have been worried?

Would it make a difference if CAP sent the information on behalf of EAA?

RiverAux

As with just about anything, its probably something that some parents would care about being released and others wouldn't mind -- thats why it should be at the option of the parent. 

I strongly suspect that most CAP parents had no idea that their child's personal information was being sent out by CAP to others so I doubt there haven't been many complaints. 

Don't really care what other organizations do.  This is CAP. 

Майор Хаткевич

I never got the offer. I feel jipped.

a2capt

If I'm ever in Illinois with a plane, I'll give you a ride :)

Jaison009

Thank you Ned. I knew we had the agreement and safeguards to promote aerospace education, I just could not find the info.

Quote from: Ned on July 11, 2013, 08:35:11 PM
Just an update:

CAP & EAA have had a cooperative agreement since about 1995, most recently reviewed and updated just last September.  The purpose is to help get young people excited about aviation and allows CAP cadets access to some great benefits.

Basically, every month CAP generates a report of all the cadets who have had an o-ride recorded in eServices and passes the information - along with some contact information - along to EAA.

EAA has agreed in writing to safeguard the information and to use it only to promote their Young Eagles program.  They are specifically prohibited  from selling or futher distributing the information.

The EAA may then contact the cadet as described in the OP, and typically offer a free EAA membership through age 19, the EAA magazine, a free ground school through Sporty's, and some educational grant opportunities.

No money changes hands between CAP and EAA, nor does EAA charge the cadets anything for the membership.  The whole point is to increase the contact hours between CAP cadets and aviation.

Definately a win-win.

And, as others have noted, any cadet can opt out very easily via eServices.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on July 12, 2013, 12:43:52 AM
If I'm ever in Illinois with a plane, I'll give you a ride :)

I'm a bit past 19 though...

Critical AOA

Sounds like a win-win and a good way to open a young person's eyes to more aspects of aviation than they will be exposed to in CAP alone. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

a2capt