How do I get scuffs off Corframs shoes?

Started by airmaneaster12, June 29, 2013, 07:37:38 PM

airmaneaster12

Hello I am in a changing of command ceremony on Tuesday, and we have to wear our blues! My Corfram dress shoes have scuffs on the inner toe! How do I safely get rid of these horriablr scuffs?
The best Airman in the fighting force!

a2capt

Marks are typically permanent on these things.

Thin scratches can be filled in with a variety of methods, one that I have used in a pinch is filling the crack area with 'Sharpie' ink. Take a black Sharpie, fill it in, and wipe immediately, perpendicular to the crack/scratch. Let it dry and repeat. If you take the 'edge' off whatever scratch, it's a lot less visible.

airmaneaster12

Yea they're not scratches just simply where I rubbed my shoes on something......
The best Airman in the fighting force!

a2capt

.. and I left off Alcohol, Pledge .. and a buffing cloth, for friction rub type scuffing where you've transfered surface properties, but (hopefully) not penetrated the surface.

PHall

Before you start applying stuff like a black Sharpie or Pledge, try buffing out the scuff with toothpaste.
Toothpaste is a mild abrasive. I've been buffing out scratches on plastic watch crystals for years using toothpaste.
Airplane modelers use this trick to get scratches out of clear airplane canopies.

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on June 29, 2013, 10:13:07 PM
Before you start applying stuff like a black Sharpie or Pledge, try buffing out the scuff with toothpaste.
Toothpaste is a mild abrasive. I've been buffing out scratches on plastic watch crystals for years using toothpaste.
Airplane modelers use this trick to get scratches out of clear airplane canopies.

You noticed he didn't say he had tried it himself. Plus watch crystals and plastic model canopies are opaque. If you try toothpaste try it on something else first.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 29, 2013, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: PHall on June 29, 2013, 10:13:07 PM

You noticed he didn't say he had tried it himself. Plus watch crystals and plastic model canopies are opaque. If you try toothpaste try it on something else first.

I've used it on my shoes with no problems. It will only work on a slight blemish, if there's a scratch then the shoes are done.

Flying Pig

Brasso and a cotton ball.  Buff a small area with the cotton ball and wipe it off with a soft cloth.  I had the same pair of Corframs all 4 years in the Marines

ironputts

Shaving cream and a clean rag! If scratch is too deep then the shine from this will lessen the scratch look!
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

johnnyb47

Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sapper168

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

OldGuard

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 30, 2013, 03:44:34 AM
Brasso and a cotton ball.  Buff a small area with the cotton ball and wipe it off with a soft cloth.  I had the same pair of Corframs all 4 years in the Marines

I use Brasso and a cotton ball too... Where did I learn that trick
Eaker#000 Earhart #8175 Mitchell#21034