New Law in Texas supports CAP

Started by BrannG, May 21, 2013, 03:42:13 PM

jeders

Quote from: BrannG on May 22, 2013, 03:54:29 AM
For what I understand however, STATE OWNED BASES - these called Camps and include all National Guard posts, not FEDERAL posts such as military bases, etc, would allow access to TMF personnel and auxiliary members of the Federal forces as well as all Armed Services. (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard) Don't lump up a place like Camp Mabrey with Lackland Air Force Base - not the same thing. Lackland is owned by the DoD, not the State. AAFES wouldn't be so kind to CAP on Lackland vs Camp Mabrey or Camp Bullis.

WRONG.

Section 411.1951 of the Texas Government Code does NOT confer veteran status on anyone for any purpose other than reduction or waiver of conceal carry fees. If you try to use this statute to claim veteran status you will be laughed out of the facility at best.

Second, the section referring to CAP is NOT new. This is a law that has been around for nearly 10 years and has included CAP for those 10 years. Many of the members in my former squadron have taken advantage of this law. The "new" part is to amend the reference of section 431.001 to section 437.001.

If you want to continue to debate the propriety of including CAP in this, great. But Brann, stop claiming that this confers benefits which it does not.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

bflynn

Quote from: BrannG on May 21, 2013, 03:42:13 PM
(a) a person may not be required to complete the range instruction portion of a handgun proficiency course if the person:
(1) is currently serving in or is honorably discharged from:
(A) ... aux service (CAP)... or
(B) the state military forces and
(2) has completed a course of training in handgun proficiency or familiarization as part of the person's service with the armed forces or state military forces.

- What this is saying is that CAP / Coast Guard Auxiliary members can now obtain concealed handguns and keep their license without extended proficiency training past the initial courses.

I do not think it means what you think it means.  (Because I couldn't figure out how to write out an Inigo Montoya accent)

You must complete a handgun proficiency or familiarization as part of your service.  Since CAP does not use handguns or offer training in them as part of our service, we can't meet that requirement.

The requirement is 1 and 2.  1 can be satisfied by 1A or 1B.

I'm still happy to see that it's there, it is a reasonable way to relieve the burden on someone who already has been trained on handgun safety.

BrannG

I give up trying to talk on here. lol

I wasn't trying to say that CAP is a qualified vet-status giver.. matter of fact, I'm AGAINST CAP members getting vet rights in any form. CAP is NOT an armed force, it's a civilian volunteer force, which has become more and more cadet oriented, so I view it more as a club these days.

I posted the bill to share some news that could have an effect of CAP in Texas. Minor, but still. Then again, I come back and remembered why I left this site.. and why I don't wear an CAP uniform anymore. I proudly wear my ACUs with a actual commission.

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

bflynn

You posted two sections - I know I really read one and reacted to your statement that "- CAP / Coast Guard Auxiliary members can now obtain concealed handguns and keep their license without extended proficiency training past the initial courses. "  Your statement is not true.

The second part of your post doesn't apply to CAP either since we do not issue honorable discharges as others have noted.

So...I can understand the confusion, but neither change affects us in any way.

Luis R. Ramos

???

By all means - lets talk it over.

:P

You asked people to comment.

:-\

By all means - lets talk it over.

:angel:

Does not mean all comments you receive are going to be similar to or like your way of thinking...

Flyer

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: BrannG on May 24, 2013, 07:55:02 PMit's a civilian volunteer force, which has become more and more cadet oriented, so I view it more as a club these days.

Seriously?

The first part of the statement has no basis in fact, and the second is a back-handed insult.  Why throw that out?

Quote from: BrannG on May 24, 2013, 07:55:02 PMThen again, I come back and remembered why I left this site.. and why I don't wear an CAP uniform anymore. I proudly wear my ACUs with a actual commission.

Your sig says you left the USAF in 2006.  You're still wearing the uniform?

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2013, 12:21:14 AMYour sig says you left the USAF in 2006.  You're still wearing the uniform?
Or he's missing something else about Army in there.
QuoteLackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

Eclipse

Um, yeah, like "mentions it at all".

Whatever, no reason to believe otherwise, however other then a slam at CAP, it's not relevent to this conversation even a little.
I will go to my grave wondering why people voluntarily engage with others on the internet, and then get bent when people
disagree with them.

"That Others May Zoom"