Main Menu

Wise Food Storage

Started by Duke Dillio, February 26, 2013, 08:39:30 PM

Duke Dillio

Does anyone have experience with these meal kits for CAP or otherwise.  I was considering investing in some for my kit but wanted to know about taste, ease of preparation, variety, etc.  Thanks in advance.

Stonewall

Try a sample.

Never heard of them, but interested.

I have 2 cases of brand new MREs at home (got them last month), as well as a case from almost 10 years ago. 

I'd be willing to try these, but I'm cautious of the 25 year shelf life.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

The 10 year old ones you have are likely well past their shelf life unless they were frozen this whole time, and then they are still expired.

I've eaten ones that are 3-4+ years old.  The entrees are usually fine, but the extras like chocolate are usually dried out and discolored.

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

I have a sample coming in.  I'll let you guys know what I think.  I was just lookin to see if anyone had tried them or knew someone that had.  On a side note, they sponsor one of my favorite shows:  Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo.

Eclipse

If it's any good, the price isn't bad, though it assumes, apparently, that you've got some way to heat water separately.
I didn't check on shipping, where some of this stuff gets pricey because of weight.

A bucket of grab-n-go meals in the garage at less then $4 each would be nice for the bike.

Looks like Mountain House is selling something similar, though not surprisingly more expensive: http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=bkts

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I think I would rather a more traditional MRE for CAP purposes.  I don't need a two serving entree for just me... and there ain't no pound cake.
Mike Johnston

Duke Dillio

They got yogurt and pudding though.....   >:D

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

On a major CAP mission we got a pallet of British "Operational Ration Packs". In addition to the Yorkie bars, and other stuff we were trading back and forth, I learned, quite the hard way, what a "Chocolate Pudding" is.  Hint, it's not a milk-based delicious swirl  - nothing wrecks your day like keeping a foil bag on ice all day expecting a cold, sweet treat, only to open it and find...not Snack Pack.

http://www.mreinfo.com/international/great-britain/british-24-hour-ration-packs.html

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

When I was in Kuwait in '97, we had some British guys show up at our Kabal.  They were more than willing to part with their rations in trade for our MRE's.  I didn't quite understand it until I tried what they had to offer.  I don't think I have ever had anything more revolting in my life.....

SarDragon

In the '70sd, I was stationed at a Marine Base. They were getting rid of outdated C-rats (MCI), and a supply clerk "acquired" a few cases that got "lost" on the way to DRMO. Some of them had been produced in the early '50s, and had expiration dates in the '60s. We took them camping, and they tasted fine. Like MREs, some were better than others.

From Wikipedia:
In 1973, Army Colonel Henry Moak was issued a MCI ration during his stay in Vietnam. Included in the MCI ration was a can of pound cake, manufactured in 1969. He kept the unopened can and vowed to eat the pound cake when he retired from the Army. On July 24, 2009, Moak opened the forty-year old can and ate the contents. He noted that the pound cake still looked and smelled like fresh pound cake.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Woodsy

Guys, lets get real here...  When is the last time anyone needed something like an MRE on a CAP mission??? 

I get that some people like to relive the "glory days" and do stuff like this, but if we're talking for CAP purposes.....  We're not humping across the desert/jungle for days on end in CAP... 

SarDragon

Quote from: Woodsy on February 27, 2013, 07:28:49 AM
Guys, lets get real here...  When is the last time anyone needed something like an MRE on a CAP mission??? 

I get that some people like to relive the "glory days" and do stuff like this, but if we're talking for CAP purposes.....  We're not humping across the desert/jungle for days on end in CAP...

Need? Probably not. But they are convenient to carry, and fun to eat once in a while.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

What else should we carry?

I use them for all kinds of activities, and always have a couple on my bike. A handy way to eat quick for about $5.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on February 27, 2013, 08:14:15 AM

Need? Probably not. But they are convenient to carry, and fun to eat once in a while.

+100 for the Cadets.

Really it is for the Cadets and giving them a taste of their "glory days". No pun intended   8)

Duke Dillio

Every year, sometimes several times a year, I conduct ground team training exercises.  We go into the woods and don't come out for several days.  If you don't bring MRE's or some other form of sustenance, you go hungry unless you talk someone else into giving you some food.  Food is on the packing list and therefore if you don't bring any, you fail the first station:  Prepare and deploy personal ground team equipment.  I also train all of my ground team members to not bring canned goods due to their weight and bulkiness.  I generally see MRE's more than I do any other food product because of the stated benefits above.  Where I live, we could be on a mission for several days in some very bad country.  I have no idea where you come from but I can assure you that there are large portions of land around me where people get lost and don't come back.  I don't personally carry MRE's regularly any more (mostly because of cost) but I can assure you that if I did it wouldn't be to relive the "glory days."

Stonewall

It doesn't matter when the last time was; it matters when the next time is.  Have I eaten an MRE on a REDCAP?  Of course I have, more than a few times actually.  Not by choice, or because it was cool, but out of necessity. I can even remember at least 4 of the missions, and one was right here in Florida as a cadet, during a several day search for a missing aircraft that was ultimately found.

Secondly, having a certain number of rations is required as part of the ground team member task list.  Not an MRE or "survival meal" per se, I mean,  you can make yourself a PB&J if you want, but I'll stick with an MRE that can sit in my 24/72 hour pack for a few years so I don't have to worry about it when I get called up.

At the end of the day, it's just practical to have emergency rations as part of your kit, even if your kit stays in the car because you're on a UDF mission.  Likewise, why eat your MRE if you can stop in at a local restaurant?  Save it for later use.

As for the purchase of MREs or these Wise Food Storage units, I have personally never spent money on them.  Fortunately I've been in the military and there's no shortage of spare meals when training is over.  Over the past 2 years, between my wife and I, we've managed to acquire at least 3 or 4 cases worth of MREs, one or two meals at a time. 

Quote from: Woodsy on February 27, 2013, 07:28:49 AMI get that some people like to relive the "glory days" and do stuff like this, but if we're talking for CAP purposes.....  We're not humping across the desert/jungle for days on end in CAP...

Just because not everyone has done this, or willing to do it, doesn't mean it doesn't or won't happen.  Over the years, the non-distress UDF type missions in urban and/or suburban areas certainly outnumber the missions that have required me to carry a pack, use a flashlight, manage a search line, or RON in a shelter.  But at the end of the day, that's what we should be prepared for.  Naturally, each member can pick and choose their limits – you may say "I'll stick with UDF missions where I never venture 100 feet away from my car,", while the next guy can't wait for the post apocalyptic mission he's dreamed of for years that requires a 2,000 hour pack.  For me, it all depends.  It's easier to deescalate than it is to get somewhere and find out you're missing the essentials, like an MRE.  Not all mission bases have a field kitchen, nor do all missions happen where there's a BK or Mickey D's.  Yes, places like this do exist.

As for reliving the glory days, I've been living mine for years now, but I want to make sure that the cadets who join CAP and participate in ES, or any activity for that matter, has some good stories to tell when it's their turn to bore the heck out of their underlings 10 to 20 years from now. 
Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

I got an email from the Wise Food Storage company today and they are sending me a sample of their product.  When it gets here, I will post my opinion.

Luis R. Ramos

When I was active ten years ago I carried MRE's as the required meal for the 24-hour pack. I probably carried them well past the expiration date. I do not carry them now because of price. However if price did not matter I would carry them again, not because they are cool, but because of the convenience.

Contrary to local lore, I do find them a complete meal. Some entrees I like better than others. And if you use the water-activated heater, there is no need to carry much in the way to a mission. Now I carry other stuff, the canteen heater, the canteen cup, and a bar of fuel (on the 24-hour pack) and several extra fuel bars (in the 72-hour pack). Mind you, these fuel bars, Trioxane, although they look dry, they still burn, they are the survivors of ten years ago...

I have eaten MREs as training in several SAREX and Trainex. I even had them on my only Encampment. For the last part of the Encampment, they stopped giving us MRE's giving us instead I think it was named Jimmy D's. Like canned Turkey or Chicken mix. Worst piece of sh-- I ever ate. To me, even worse than the worst MRE!

In my 10 real missions I never had the need for an MRE. The missions I attended were more geared to an UDF type of search. My 24-hour and 72-hour packs were/are in the back of my car. 24/7. I never had to rely on them anyway. Living in New York City, if I need food or water I find many restaurants and some bodegas or delis open 24/7 where I can get food or water if needed.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Stonewall

FWIW, today's MREs are friggin' awesome.  Look, I'm a former grunt and currently a "ground pounder" in the Air Guard, so eating MREs isn't a "cool guy" thing, it's a necessity.  I'll take Bono's BBQ, Tijuana Flats, or Outback any day over MREs, but as far as field rations go, I look forward to eating when I'm in the field.  Buffalo Chicken, Fajitas, Chicken with Feta Cheese, Southwest Beef and Black Beans, and the sides are really good.  Nothing beats jalapeno cheese spread, and the Santa Fe Style rice and Beans are to die for.

Is it lunch time?  Cuz I'm gettin' hungry.  That's what waking up at 0430 will do to you. 
Serving since 1987.