Main Menu

Qualifications

Started by Brad, February 14, 2013, 04:26:06 AM

Brad

I recall awhile back there was a discussion on here about the idea of senior members having some form of post-secondary education, and there was the point raised that our own National Commander is a former enlisted man with no formal 2-year or 4-year degree to speak of -- but with an impressive resume all the same.

Now, having said that, I present to you....the qualifications for a CAP National Commander:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1dy44jV8EM#

;D
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

a2capt

PHall

The National Commander has at least a CCAF Degree.
You don't get MSgt without a CCAF degree and in many career fields a BA or BS is needed to get promoted.

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on February 14, 2013, 05:47:13 AM
You don't get MSgt without a CCAF degree and in many career fields a BA or BS is needed to get promoted.
Now....but back in the day that was not true.  Even now a CCAF degree is not required for MSgt....but is highly recommended if you want to be promotable for SMsgt.....at least back in '08 when I retired.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on February 14, 2013, 05:47:13 AM

Most senior enlisted have a degree. Lots of competition for those promotions. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Brad on February 14, 2013, 04:26:06 AM... our own National Commander is a former enlisted man with no formal 2-year or 4-year degree to speak of --

Have you seen his resume?   ::)

Brad

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 14, 2013, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: Brad on February 14, 2013, 04:26:06 AM... our own National Commander is a former enlisted man with no formal 2-year or 4-year degree to speak of --

Have you seen his resume?   ::)

Yea.

QuoteBrig Gen Carr is a native of Columbus, Ohio, and a graduate of Columbus East High School. His education also includes management courses from the University of Maryland and military training that includes NCO Leadership School, Command NCO Academy, U.S. Air Force Senior NCO Academy, Military Police Investigations and U.S. Customs. He retired as Superintendent Security Police in the grade of Master Sergeant after serving 23 years in the Air Force.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Carr_Bio__Nov_2010_7C8CD67B7B2C7.pdf

Mentions management courses but nothing about an Associate's or Bachelor's.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

ol'fido

I recall hearing a quote from somewhere attributed to BG Heinie Aderholt, "Air Commando One",( who did not have a degree) that most Air Force officers were overeducated. Then again "Bud" Day was at one point considered one of the most educated officers in the Air Force. Considering, the reputations and careers of both of these officers, I would say that the character of the man is more important than whether he has a diploma hanging on the wall. YMMV>
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

DJN245

How could this possibly affect your opinion of the National Commander? I've met a plethora of outstandingly unintelligent people with 2 and 4 year degrees and many intellectual and eloquent individuals with no more than a high school diploma or GED.

Brad

For clarification, I'm not saying my opinion of our National Commander is affected by his educational history. In fact, as I said originally, I wasn't even the one who raised the point that it is unclear if he has a degree or not! I said someone else raised that point.

MY point is that I was watching the Major General video, and our National Commander, being a CAP Major General, came to mind.

All done in jest.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN