Main Menu

Missing Medal?

Started by Psicorp, March 04, 2007, 01:32:42 AM

Psicorp

Is there a medal for the Eaker Award?  I can't find one on either Vanguard's or the Hock Shop sites.   

With the new ruling on the CAC ribbons, is it possible they might come out with a CAC medal?

I'm putting together my Mess Dress for our Wing Conference at the end of the month and need to get my medals ordered.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Quote from: Psicorp on March 04, 2007, 01:32:42 AM
Is there a medal for the Eaker Award?  I can't find one on either Vanguard's or the Hock Shop sites.  

There is not.
Mike Johnston

Psicorp

Quote from: MIKE on March 04, 2007, 01:35:18 AM

There is not.

Hmm. Earhart ribbon it is then.  Thank you, Sir.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Pylon

Quote from: Psicorp on March 04, 2007, 01:41:56 AM
Quote from: MIKE on March 04, 2007, 01:35:18 AM

There is not.

Hmm. Earhart ribbon it is then.  Thank you, Sir.

It's been an issue for years.  The Eaker has been an award for quite a while, yet the mini-medal has yet to be created.  I believe the excuse at first was the start-up cost of dies to strike it, etc.   But there's a list of medals that have yet to come about now.   Eaker, National Commander's Commendation, Wright Brothers Award (?), and now possibly the CAC ribbon (due to the recent NB action on that).  Seems like it might be a good time to add them to the fold.

But yeah, the Earhart mini-medal will have to suffice for now for Eaker awardees.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

cnitas

Quote from: Pylon on March 04, 2007, 02:38:16 AM
...and now possibly the CAC ribbon (due to the recent NB action on that). 

What recent action?  I have not heard anthing new on CAC awards...
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pylon

Quote from: cnitas on March 04, 2007, 07:05:37 AM
Quote from: Pylon on March 04, 2007, 02:38:16 AM
...and now possibly the CAC ribbon (due to the recent NB action on that). 

What recent action?  I have not heard anthing new on CAC awards...

NB approved wear of the CAC ribbon for senior members who earned the award as cadets.  No award of CAC ribbon for SM advisors at this time.   See here for mention of it during our play-by-play recap of the NB meeting.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Robert Hartigan

I know that no one has asked me but, I think you should only wear the highest ribbon earned as a cadet. I don't even think that seniors should wear an encampment ribbon, cadet comp, IACE or anything else associated with the cadet program. One ribbon from your cadet experience and that is it. There is no real need! Milestone awards denote a level of experience and all the other denote participation in an event. The real question should be what ribbons can we get rid of or combine by changing or including criterion with another award. Ask yourself what purpose does this ribbon serve if everyone who attends an events gets it. It is my opinion that adding another ribbon, badge or doodad does nothing except diminish a professional appearance. Minimize and streamline the uniform and the overall appearance will improve. Not being critical and I would not mention this except for the fact that it published for all to see but, this officer's ribbons are a mess; less is more...
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Psicorp

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on March 04, 2007, 10:30:26 PM
I know that no one has asked me but, I think you should only wear the highest ribbon earned as a cadet. I don't even think that seniors should wear an encampment ribbon, cadet comp, IACE or anything else associated with the cadet program. One ribbon from your cadet experience and that is it. There is no real need! Milestone awards denote a level of experience and all the other denote participation in an event. The real question should be what ribbons can we get rid of or combine by changing or including criterion with another award. Ask yourself what purpose does this ribbon serve if everyone who attends an events gets it. It is my opinion that adding another ribbon, badge or doodad does nothing except diminish a professional appearance. Minimize and streamline the uniform and the overall appearance will improve. Not being critical and I would not mention this except for the fact that it published for all to see but, this officer's ribbons are a mess; less is more...

I would argue that Officers get as much out of participation in an Encampment and IACE as the cadets do and should continue to wear them.   Currently Officers are only allowed to wear the highest cadet program milestone award ribbon (in my case it's the Eaker ribbon and not any of the eleven or so that precede it).   

As far as the Colonel's ribbon rack (aside from the little misarrangement on his), what would you expect a full Colonel's ribbon rack to look like?  Only three ribbons?   That would be un-military.  ;D 
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

DNall

Will someone let that region commander know his ribbons are all jacked up (out of order, upside down). That's funny, and on an official photo too. Nice catch. ;D

I would withhold comment on the adult ribbon matrix. Mike is working on some ideas & I've expressed some as well, as has our resident historian who's on the cmte that puts stuff like this in front of the board. We'll put together a pitch that does streamline & work in conjunction with our parent, I would anticipate it dropping a few of those you mention & add maybe one or two others, but mostly not. I'm not commenting though till he's ready to run that thread & push the result up the chain.

MIKE

It's also an 1/8 inch spaced rack if you didn't notice.
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

And two Yeagers? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Since when did the Yeager get promoted to go after the 'Comm- Comm'?

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya'll... ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DNall

That rack is so jacked up in every way possible it almose seems like a joke.

Robert Hartigan

I did not post the photo out of respect for the officer. I am asking you to modify your post, please. It is one thing to attach the link as an example so that one may follow it and either agree or disagree with my opinion on the subject. It is another matter entirely to  post the photo for the purpose of ridicule. Will you please modify your post as a professional courtesy? If not to me, then to the officer in the photo. My apologies for bring this to the forum. Any embarrassment was unintentional.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

DNall

Done.

Don't feel bad, the officer involved made the choice to wear such a rack, and in an official photo which his staff posted on an offical site w/o protecting him. If I wore such a thing everyone from C/Amn to LtCol would tell me about it & I would be more contentious in the future to avoid that embarassment - that's corrective culture.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on March 05, 2007, 04:00:34 AM
I did not post the photo out of respect for the officer. I am asking you to modify your post, please. It is one thing to attach the link as an example so that one may follow it and either agree or disagree with my opinion on the subject. It is another matter entirely to  post the photo for the purpose of ridicule. Will you please modify your post as a professional courtesy? If not to me, then to the officer in the photo. My apologies for bring this to the forum. Any embarrassment was unintentional.

I agree, if I may.  A while back thre was a practice on another site where people would post "funny" uniform items and violations.  It degraded into a forum for ridicule that ended up creating the largest collection of "let's show just how much concentrated stupidity we can muster."  The topic was eventaully locked and life went on.

I am glad it ended.  I would also fight efforts to bring that back.

We are not here to place ridicule on others, especially behand their back. 

My recommendations of uniform violation pics.

1) make any attempt you can to find the PAO or Squadron Commander of the unit where it appears.

2) Inform them tactfully of the violation and ask it be taken down or altered.  People make honest mistakes...give them the honorable way out.  Even if it is me that made the posting.

3) Don't tell anyone nor make a huge case out of it for the purpose of a good laugh.

4) Make all atempts to promote proper posting of pics. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

If you can blur out the guy's face & move & rename the pic so the public can't really tell who it is, and in private inform the party or someone close to them to fix the situation, then that's appropriate. Public ridicule you're right is not. My apologies for posting the pic from the link.

Horn229

With the new ruling on the CAC ribbons, is it possible they might come out with a CAC medal?

I'm putting together my Mess Dress for our Wing Conference at the end of the month and need to get my medals ordered.

While there is not anything currently authorized for wear for the Eaker award, there is something in the works. It's moving about the channels right now hopefully it will be approved.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

I remember when I was in the Army, we had a colonel retire, and had a big ceremony for him.  I took some photos, but when I prepared the release, the ribbons caught my eye.  Something was wrong.

When I studied the rack, I realized that he had put it on upside down.  Nobody noticed the rack that day, but I saw it when I got the pix ready for release.

I made sure that the photos that went out did not show his ribbons.  It is really that simple.

Also, it confirmed that it really WAS time for him to retire! 
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on March 04, 2007, 10:30:26 PMI don't even think that seniors should wear an encampment ribbon, cadet comp, IACE or anything else associated with the cadet program.

Those ribbons aren't cadet ribbons, or are at least not listed as "cadet only" ribbons. And why shouldn't someone get a ribbon for running an encampment, as opposed to attending?

Cadet comp, same reasoning. You support the activity, why shouldn't you get recognition for working the activity?

IACE? Still the same reasoning.

The promotions, and those ribbons are the "pay" that CAP members get. If you want to take that away, you should be prepare to open a wallet and provide some kind of compensation.

I will agree that there a great number of ribbons, and there should be some reduction or  elimination of redundant, or differing awards for the same actions. I've got a few ideas on that. Still putting them together. But don't yank the recognition for activities. It's a small thank you, but it's still a thank you.

Psicorp

Quote from: DNall on March 05, 2007, 02:00:30 AM
That rack is so jacked up in every way possible it almose seems like a joke.

And here I was, trying to be polite about it.

The double Yeager caught my attention first.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257