Who wants to fill out my commendation for a lifesaving award?

Started by johnnyb47, January 14, 2013, 09:48:00 PM

johnnyb47

The story that follows depicts events that took place a mere few minutes ago:
So there I was... walking along the trail to our offices front door when I caught a brief whiff of the odor.
I thought to myself, "Self... I believe you know that smell. It's...."
And it dawned on me. There was a fire just outside of our building.

I ran around the bend and saw it... a ferocious blaze staring me in the face. I genuinely belive it was taunting me. Dancing in front of me as if to say, "Whatcha gonna do, punk?"
Well I mustered the courage of what I believe must have been 10... no, 20 men... and went into swift and deliberate action.
With complete disregard for my own safety I ran inside, grabbed the fire extinguisher, yelled "FIRE", burst through the door and began to fight the beast.
I pulled my pin, pointed the hose, tested for pressure and then charged head on into the firey blaze.
It felt like forever but i finally conquered the beast, the fire was out and our outdoor trash can will now live another day..... all thanks to me.

Stupid smokers. Now I smell like "essence of smokey RubberMade".
I got a pat on the back and a chuckle from the fireman who ACTUALLY showed up a few minutes later.
It wasnt a big deal but he said, "You'd be surprised how many building fires start due to an out of control trash can fire."
So yeah... I saved our trash can... and a squirrel I think.
Go me.

:)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BillB

You need a notorized statement from the squirrel to accompy the form120  to National. Since squirrels are not known to be smart, he/she can sign with an X.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

johnnyb47

Quote from: BillB on January 14, 2013, 09:55:13 PM
You need a notorized statement from the squirrel to accompy the form120  to National. Since squirrels are not known to be smart, he/she can sign with an X.
I will dip a wallnut shell into some ink and....
Ahhh forget it. He ran off a while ago, probably terrified by the intense yell I let out when I first squeezed the trigger. :)
I'll settle for the memory which is forever burned into my shirt... in the form of the smell of melting plastic.
Capt
Communications Officer

Luis R. Ramos

Squirrels have their own Lifesaving Awards.

It is the Acorn Award. A stylized acorn on a special red, pink, orange, white, and blue ribbon. Before the debate starts on whether we should wear this award, no we cannot.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Devil Doc

Well you should get some type of reward, maybe a commanders commendation? Not sure, that squirrel will save your life some day like in the bridgestone commercial.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

ol'fido

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 14, 2013, 11:52:40 PM
Well you should get some type of reward, maybe a commanders commendation? Not sure, that squirrel will save your life some day like in the bridgestone commercial.
"Corky the Clown" button? Draw a "warm fuzzy" out of petty cash? ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

RRLE

Quote from: johnnyb47 on January 14, 2013, 09:57:46 PMI'll settle for the memory which is forever burned into my shirt... in the form of the smell of melting plastic.

Whoops - no medal for you. But you have to attend a safety lecture to learn to stand upwind of the fire.  :-[

johnnyb47

Aww... It's not a tall tale! I just made.the truth sound good! :)

Devil Doc, I dont want an award for putting out a trash can fire.
My boss can buy me lunch if he wants to. A bean burrito and some cinnamon twists should cover it.
Capt
Communications Officer

JeffDG

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 14, 2013, 10:00:11 PM
Squirrels have their own Lifesaving Awards.

It is the Acorn Award. A stylized acorn on a special red, pink, orange, white, and blue ribbon. Before the debate starts on whether we should wear this award, no we cannot.

Flyer
You can't wear it because, as we all know, squirrel awards are secret.

Devil Doc

Well, Johnny i was just suggesting it. Ive seen Military get awards for less. Kudos for saving that fire from burning down the rest of the building around it. A ember could have blown in the wind, and started a fire.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Brad

Quote from: RRLE on January 15, 2013, 05:09:27 AM
Quote from: johnnyb47 on January 14, 2013, 09:57:46 PMI'll settle for the memory which is forever burned into my shirt... in the form of the smell of melting plastic.

Whoops - no medal for you. But you have to attend a safety lecture to learn to stand upwind of the fire.  :-[

Yea, that stuff is all kinds of nasty for your lungs. Some of us hose jockeys may say it makes us experienced/crusty/salty, but I say phooey on that! I'll stick to wearing my SCBA while near the IDLH environment like a good little camper.

Meanwhile you shouldn't be breathing melting trashcans on a daily basis.

;D
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

johnnyb47

I'll try to keep my burning plastic inhallation to a minimum. :)
Capt
Communications Officer