New First Sergeant here

Started by C/2d Lt, January 05, 2013, 02:29:42 AM

C/2d Lt

Im a new First Sergeant here is there any advice anyone can give me. I am at a squadron with about 60 cadets and three flights and one advanced flight.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Storm Chaser

I'm not sure what type of advise you're looking for or how much staff experience you've had, but I would recommend that you understand your responsibilities very throughly and are familiar with those regulations that are part of your job. For starter, there is CAPR 20-1, which states that a First Sergeant "[a]ssists the cadet commander in the performance of his/her duties, to include:

• Lead and organize military drill
  • Safeguard CAP facilities and property
  • Maintenance of discipline
  • Related duties as required"

CAPP 52-15 describes the First Sergeant as a "a master trainer, a great motivator, a fair referee, a just disciplinarian, and an aide-de-camp to the cadet commander." It also identifies the following key duties:

• Lead cadets in PT
  • Lead cadets in drill and ceremonies
  • Safeguard CAP facilities and property
  • Participate in inspections
  • Keep cadets safe
  • Counsel cadets
  • Train cadets in the basics of cadet life
  • Provide personnel and administrative support
  • Pass-on information
  • Support the cadet commander

Other regulations you should be familiar with are CAPR 52-16, Cadet Program Management, AFMAN 36-2203, Drill and Ceremonies, CAPP 52-18, Cadet Physical Fitness Program, and CAPM 39-1, CAP Uniform Manual (and it's most recent Interim Change Letters).

Most importantly, you should provide a fine example for cadets to follow not only by meeting or if possible exceeding the standards, but by enforcing them as well. That includes your uniform and appearance, physical fitness, customs and courtesies, leadership, etc. Finally, you work directly for the cadet commander and represent him or her. In addition to assisting the cadet commander in his or her duties, your job is to train, mentor and take of the cadet corps, especially the cadet enlisted members (airmen and NCOs).

I hope this helps. Good luck!