NEW Hurricane Relief Patch

Started by DNall, February 26, 2007, 10:57:06 PM

Eclipse

Rita
4th most intense Atlantic hurricane ever recorded.
Cat 5 at its height, Cat 3 at landfall.

Katrina
6th strongest Atlantic hurricane, third-strongest to make landfall in the US.
Cat 1 over Florida, Cat 3 on LA & MS

Wilma
Most intense storm recorded in the Atlantic basin. Smallet eye on record.
Cat 4 on landfall at Cozumel, Cat 3 at Florida

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

One more piece of silliness...

This is the logo I use on the briefing .ppt 

At this point, you are likely about 1/2 as sick of hearing about this as the people of ILWG are.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Not so much as upset about what the Wing accomplished, but rather the fact that certain members of my group were part of the deployment and the ES folks from my unit were not even notified of the opportunity.
I'm not placing blame, just saying Im disgruntled.  That said the coin is amazing.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

floridacyclist

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 27, 2007, 07:32:16 PM
An interesting idea, but considering how long a CAP member can be in, that could add up to one large rack after several years or so.
The other possibility would be clusters for the DR ribbon, or even use bronze and silver Vs to represent repetitive awards, similar to most other awards that you can be given more than once.

After a couple more hurricane seasons like the last two, some of us would be going to the numeric devices from the longevity awards.  :D

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

alamrcn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2007, 02:19:50 AM
One more piece of silliness...

OH NO! It's one of those rare desructive huricanes coming in off of Lake Michigan... Chicago better evacuate, and I hope the dykes in the Naval yard hold!

Maybe I'll be lucky enough to fall on one off those patches and preserve it in a decade or two when somebody cleans out their basement!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

A.Member

I'm fine with the idea of coins but what on earth would you need yet another patch for?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Go bags, love me walls, patch jackets, etc.

We produced them while were still hopeful on approval for uniform wear, knowing full well it might not come.

We're also kind of waiting to see if anybody ever shows up wearing one.
None of the 13 would, but people do the dumbest things.

One of the early coin designs included the names of the 13 teams members.  The reasoning being that we always intended to give them to people who helped, but then it would prevent people from telling others they had "earned" the coin.

On more then one occasion we've heard of people waxing poetic about their time in Mississippi despite the fact that they weren't there.

The best one so far was at NESA last year, where somone was going on about his time in Stennis to one of our guys.

When the guy persisted, our guy pulled out the decoration list from NHQ and asked where his name was.

"hmmm...must be a mistake..."

Awesome.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: A.Member on February 28, 2007, 03:30:05 PM
I'm fine with the idea of coins but what on earth would you need yet another patch for?

One mans's bling is another man's commemmoration  ;D
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

floridacyclist

He might have been a genuine imposter, but not being on the list is no guarantee that someone was there or not. I know of several folks, including myself who aren't on the list for the award yet later received it through Wing or Group if at all.

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 28, 2007, 06:00:06 PM
He might have been a genuine imposter, but not being on the list is no guarantee that someone was there or not. I know of several folks, including myself who aren't on the list for the award yet later received it through Wing or Group if at all.

This guy was a bit of a GOB from ILWG who specifically said he was at Stennis, not realizing he was talking to one of the guys who really was.

The other was an ILWG guy posting on a mailing list and insinuating he had been there.

To our frustration, and the detriment of the mission, there were only 13 people from ILWG authorized to be there on any level (as CAP).

We have ILWG people who were there on other tickets, Red Cross, IMERT, etc., but they are always quick to point out the affiliation.  Several were able to do more than we did in a purely DR sense.

These are the only ones we know of directly.  We just take it as a compliment - like guys who pretend to be Seals, say they were at 9/11, etc., its kinda cool to have done something important / visible enough that others want to lie about doing it...

That you were there and didn't get recognition is not right, but at least you got it later...

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 28, 2007, 01:43:34 PM
The other possibility would be clusters for the DR ribbon, or even use bronze and silver Vs to represent repetitive awards, similar to most other awards that you can be given more than once.
I like that idea, not so much the V cause that only alows from one upgrade & what are we doing using a valor device anyways. Clusters would work fine though. You can get 26 awards on that way.

floridacyclist

I was referring to the V devices that come on the Disaster with "V" device.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

DNall

Quote from: floridacyclist on February 28, 2007, 07:16:49 PM
I was referring to the V devices that come on the Disaster with "V" device.
Yeah I was too... V for what? It only means one thing in the military. I'm not offended by that or anything, but just a minute ago you guys were talking about posers.

I think it would be more appropriate to go with clusters on the DR ribbon just like we do SaR. It can be by sortie hours like SaR or by incidents as you mentioned, I got no preference either way. The V device on the other hand, what would have been more appropriate would have been to award unit citation or standard merit medals (cdr's comm, merit svc, etc) w/ "V" for actual mission service, as opposed to running a training event. No need for a national CC's commendation or any of that crap. Just makes more sense that way.

MIKE

This is drifting a bit.  Knowing what the "V" device means in the military, we probably shouldn't be using it at all in a CAP award context.  It makes some sense to distinguish Medals of Valor, but not really on the DR ribbon.  Still have my Restructuring CAP Awards thread on the back burner.  Maybe start a new topic?
Mike Johnston

DNall

I'll wait for your thread to input.... just a point of order though, the AF does award unit citations w/ Valor device. I got a guy just joined the Sq here that has one & he's a nurse (PA flight nurse actually) in a reserve medical unit. It's arguably appropriate on a merit medal or unit citation for action in dangerous conditions, and yes it is most appropriate on the bronze/silver medal for valor.

MississippiFlyboy

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2007, 04:53:58 PM
On more then one occasion we've heard of people waxing poetic about their time in Mississippi despite the fact that they weren't there.

LMAO  ;D  "so there I was at FOB Hawkins..."

Cool patches guys...i'd like to grab some of those and add it to my Katrina collection. I have a nice challenge coin from the MS National Guard they whipped up for Katrina. 
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Kevin Myers
2d Lt, CAP
SER-MS-100

alamrcn

This isn't a picture of a patch, but of a design that was no doubt made into one...

Pretty, but now the Texas Wing initiated "2005 Hurricane Relief" patch doesn't look so much like a "BS" badge. I do like the design of ILWG's ill-fated badge best though - more USAF looking, but that is just what I like.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

floridacyclist

I just found this one on my hard drive; the original file came from the old FL Wing Special Ops page. At one time, we were discussing having these embroidered on the backs of black windbreakers just for giggles and grins.

Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

LtCol White

Well an option would be to create a small metal device in the shape of the hurricane symbol that could be worn on the disaster relief ribbon.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

arajca

Quote from: LtCol White on March 01, 2007, 07:19:20 PM
Well an option would be to create a small metal device in the shape of the hurricane symbol that could be worn on the disaster relief ribbon.
Slippery Slope Warning!
Do you also create a tornado device, snowflake device, flood device, flame device, earthquake device? There are more disasters than just hurricanes.