NEW Hurricane Relief Patch

Started by DNall, February 26, 2007, 10:57:06 PM

DNall

Just got this email, don't know if this has made it around yet. Apparently this is optional wear activity patch like the shuttle patch or NCSAs. Not very creative, but oh well.

MIKE

Did this come form national... I was under the impression that the shuttle patch came out of one of the wings and is not an authorized patch.
Mike Johnston

alamrcn

Oh, how fun! It's an Ok patch, and I'll bet that it is based off of another agency's design - much like the CISM patch was. It has a resemblance to the Task Force Columbia patch too.   So, where do we go get'um?

And in regard to the Task Force Columbia patch...
Yes, it IS an authorized patch. It was authorized by most of the wings involved in the recovery missions following the shuttle's break-up over land. National had nothing to do with it - probably dragged their feet on it. Members participating from outside the approving wings would have to get wear permission from their own wing commander. I believe the initial ordering of the patch was handled by Addison Eagles Composite Squadron in Texas.

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

O-Rex

I was picturing what it would look like while the graphic downloaded on my dial-up (Hi, we're the Slowski's...) and it was pretty much what I anticipated.

Is it official?? Probably: it has the "made exclusively for Vanguard" look.

Last time I wore a gal's name on my shoulder, had to cover it up with an eagle tattoo when we broke up  ;D

DNall

Quote from: alamrcn on February 26, 2007, 11:51:24 PM
So, where do we go get'um?
Email text:
QuoteThe 2005 Hurricane Relief Mission Patch is in production and will be here in
a few weeks. The production sample is attached.

Those who desire patches need to send the following info:

Name
Full address
Telephone
Email address (if you desire notice when mailed)
Number of patches desired @ $4.00 each
Mailing cost @ $1.00 per order

with your payment (Check or money order made out to Civil Air Patrol) to:

Irving CS
POB 710068
Dallas, TX 75371-0068

Orders will be mailed as soon as patches are received.

Whiz

Dietrich P. Whisennand, Lt Col, CAP
DCFS, Irving CS, TX 133
POB 710068
Dallas, TX 75371-0068
H:214-827-8786
C:214-563-3748
F:214-821-5223
KI5L, AFA4IM, TX CAP 3852

I think it's probably the same situation as the shuttle patch. I've heard this was coming for some time, and now it's here. I thought it would be from HQ, but apparently not. Whatever, send an email to your Wg CC requesting he grant temporary authorization till it can be included in the supplement, and ask him to have NB approve it here in a few weeks. Anyway, we're all set down here.

Major Carrales

I don't mind the patches looking the same (i.e Shuttle vs Hurricane), in fact a standard patch with an alternating design might be a good "tradition."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Stupid question (or not): What does the "5" designate?

Katrina was only a few miles per hour short of an actual Cat 5, but it wasn't one fully. So the "5" doesn't really match up on the hurricane scale. Does it represent the year?

Chaplaindon

Actually, when it was all said and done (retrospective analysis, and all), I am pretty sure the NHC subsequently determined Katrina to be a strong Cat-3 storm upon landfall.

Whilst in the Gulf, it briefly was the strongest Cat-5 (based upon central barometric pressure) in the history of Atlantic cyclones.  The physics of tropical cyclones preclude one from remaining at Cat-5 intensity for more than a matter of hours --at any one time.

Nevertheless, it doesn't take a Saffir-Simpson catagory 5 storm to cause  catastrophic damage and tragic loss of life. In fact, the 1900 Galveston, TX storm (the worst natural disaster in US history, with perhaps as many as 12,000 deaths -- an accurate count was never possible) was a Cat-4 upon landfall.

For that matter, 2001's "Allison" was but a Tropical Storm when it caused incredible damage to the Houston area and the world-famous Texas Medical Center.

It's a nice looking patch regardless, good work Whiz.
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

ddelaney103

It seems to me the concept of allowing the wear of "one time event" patches is more appropriate for my daughter's Brownie vest than our uniforms.

I can't think of an equivalent in the military other than flightsuit patches - which get a lot of unofficial use due in part to the fact that vercroed patches allow for a bit of jocularity without being a permanent problem.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 27, 2007, 04:08:07 AM
It seems to me the concept of allowing the wear of "one time event" patches is more appropriate for my daughter's Brownie vest than our uniforms.

I can't think of an equivalent in the military other than flightsuit patches - which get a lot of unofficial use due in part to the fact that vercroed patches allow for a bit of jocularity without being a permanent problem.

I meant for the collectors value or some decorative "CAP Trophy" Jacket.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 27, 2007, 04:11:08 AM
I meant for the collectors value or some decorative "CAP Trophy" Jacket.
Please don't!
Quote from: ddelaney103 on February 27, 2007, 04:08:07 AM

Less the joking, flight suit patch is the size of it. Operation patches are common (red flag for instance), but tend not to get worn long term. I think it's fine for optional wear under the same rules as NCSA patches & no longer authorized after say five years after the event. Wouldn't mind applying the same rule to NCSA patches for that matter.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 27, 2007, 03:32:16 AM
Stupid question (or not): What does the "5" designate?

Katrina was only a few miles per hour short of an actual Cat 5, but it wasn't one fully. So the "5" doesn't really match up on the hurricane scale. Does it represent the year?

Andrew was a strong Cat 4 when it hit land in 1992, but because of the severe damage caused it was later reclassed a Cat 5.

Camille in 1969 was a strong Cat 5 when it made landfall in the Mississippi Redneck Riviera; reportedly there was a wind gust of over 200 mph before the equipment was blown away.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

This is ours, completley unofficial and not approved for wear.
We went through the process with the Wing and Region and were told there was "no interest" in approving the insignia for wear on uniform.

This has already been run as patches and beautiful coins we all carry.

If I get a chance I'll scan the coin...

Edit: The stars in IL are for the 4 groups the teams came from - 1, 14, 12, & 22.  The MS stars are for the areas of our operations - Jackson, MS & Hancock County.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Here's the coins in an image sent from the vendor.

Note - these are pre-production spec versions and the year is wrong, it was corrected on the coins that were issued.

Coins were limited to team members and presented to members and outside parties who assisted with the deployment (LO, Wing / Group CC's, some employers, etc).

The final coins were deep-filled with an epoxy coating, which give them a smooth surface.

"That Others May Zoom"

alamrcn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2007, 02:25:45 PM

That patch is gorgeous, never seen it before. Do you have any left?

You'ld think New York Wing would have done a 9/11 service patch of some type... for comemorative purposes. I like to see these special event and activity patches - they represent an important momment in time and in one's life. I through on an old encampment patch now and then, so I remember and can share a story with someone who asks me about it. THAT is keeping history alive right there!

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

arajca

Quote from: DNall on February 26, 2007, 10:57:06 PM
Just got this email, don't know if this has made it around yet. Apparently this is optional wear activity patch like the shuttle patch or NCSAs. Not very creative, but oh well.
So, would this be only for those who were in the immediate impact area or would it include those who worked with the evacuees in other states?

Eclipse

Quote from: alamrcn on February 27, 2007, 05:40:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2007, 02:25:45 PM

That patch is gorgeous, never seen it before. Do you have any left?

You'ld think New York Wing would have done a 9/11 service patch of some type... for comemorative purposes. I like to see these special event and activity patches - they represent an important momment in time and in one's life. I through on an old encampment patch now and then, so I remember and can share a story with someone who asks me about it. THAT is keeping history alive right there!

- Ace

Thanks,

In light of the fact that we could not get the approval to wear them through channels, we purposely did a very small run of patches, so there are none extra.

This is a scan of the actual patch, for whatever reason these scanners just do not do the luster of the thread, or details justice:

I don't understand why CAP doesn't better recognize the significant events in its history properly.  One suggestion was "theater ribbons" similiar to what the RealMilitary® does.

The Katrina activity is now a part of CAP's lore, and is mentioned in the same breath as the subchasers, 9/11, and the Challenger recovery, yet routine events like Blue Beret, and even the average encampment get better coverage from a commemoration standpoint than these important, high-visibility activities.

This isn't sour grapes, I got my NCC, same as everyone, and the actual missions garnered me plenty of ribbonage, it would just be nice to think someone at NHQ thought enough of these activities to commemorate them better.

Maybe a national coin or approved disaster relief patch with a rocker showing where you went, etc....

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2007, 06:36:32 PM
I don't understand why CAP doesn't better recognize the significant events in its history properly.  One suggestion was "theater ribbons" similiar to what the RealMilitary® does.

An interesting idea, but considering how long a CAP member can be in, that could add up to one large rack after several years or so.

DNall

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 27, 2007, 07:32:16 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2007, 06:36:32 PM

An interesting idea, but considering how long a CAP member can be in, that could add up to one large rack after several years or so.
We have those already, the SaR, DR, CN, and soon to be Border Patrol, are explicitly our version of campaign ribbons. I don't know if event ribbons make sense. I mean where do you draw the line for one thing, both which events, and which people in what capacities get it. And those events are a few weeks at most, not 60days to a year or more like the real mil.

To me coins sound good. Then if we're going to do patches than take them off after a max of five years after the event (smae w/ NCSAs), that seems fair enough.

JohnKachenmeister

Katrina WAS a Cat-5, but the wind dropped just before landfall.  I don't remember if Wilma was ever a Cat-5, but it hit where I live as a low-end Cat-2.  Most of the damage in Wilma in Central Florida was from tornadoes spun off from her.
Another former CAP officer