Main Menu

squadron funds

Started by brasda91, February 22, 2007, 09:50:09 PM

brasda91

Do any of you have any fund-rasising activities that you do on a yearly basis, that are successful, that would mind sharing with us?

My units largest income/support is from the County government.  Very shortly I will be contacting our Judge-Executive to schedule a meeting to discuss increasing his support.  At the same time, I will be contacting our Mayor and ask him to begin support.

We occassionally have other donations from area businesses (when someone takes the time to contact them).  The other donations are from our members.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

James Shaw

Look into the possibility of having a raffle. You would have to check with the Commander and find out if it is possible. You could do 1 every quarter with different types of merchandise. I did 4 in one year and raised enough money to but a new copier ($1000), a new radio setup ($700), and a Power Point Projector ($1000). It is possible with the right items and some dedicated people. I have a great "ticket format" I could share if wanted. I even had one for my DoJo when I had my school. I raised ($3000) in 1 month for a new workout floor.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Pylon

Quote from: brasda91 on February 22, 2007, 09:50:09 PM
Do any of you have any fund-rasising activities that you do on a yearly basis, that are successful, that would mind sharing with us?

My units largest income/support is from the County government.  Very shortly I will be contacting our Judge-Executive to schedule a meeting to discuss increasing his support.  At the same time, I will be contacting our Mayor and ask him to begin support.

We occassionally have other donations from area businesses (when someone takes the time to contact them).  The other donations are from our members.

Don't forget your local state senator/assemblyperson can often get "member item" funding for your unit, from the state.  It varies from state to state, but many of these politicians have a certain "allotment" of funding they can pass out to organizations within their district.

I also find that it can help to examine what the "end use" of the money we "need" is going to be.  In other words, if we want a new carpet for the classroom, instead of trying to find $500 in funding, I'll go direct to the source for the end product.  I'd contact local suppliers of carpeting, as well as "big box" construction stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.), meet with their managers, and try to get an in-kind donation.   If it's office supplies you need to buy and maintain, see Office Max/Staples/local office supply companies.  If it's electronics, again -- hit up the vendors.

Obviously if you need money for things like flight time/fuel, bills, etc. and cash is the only way to go, see my above point on not discounting a state politician for support.

Good luck!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

I've heard of other units that have had good luck with local veterans groups, particularly when looking for support for Cadet Programs and similar activities.
Mike Johnston

ctrossen

If you have a Boston Store, Herbergers, Bon-Ton, Younkers or one of their related stores nearby, twice per year they run a "Community Days" fundraiser. You sell coupon books for $5 each, your unit keeps the money, and you have the opportunity to sell at the stores.

I'd never heard of it until two years ago, but it's a pretty profitable fundraiser. Especially if you get motivated.

(Spring Community Days is running right now, so you'd have to wait until fall to get in on it.)
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

brasda91

Quote from: MIKE on February 22, 2007, 10:18:41 PM
I've heard of other units that have had good luck with local veterans groups, particularly when looking for support for Cadet Programs and similar activities.

Our local VFW and AL have been very kind to us with financial support.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011