Wearing more than 1 specialty insignia

Started by desert rat, February 19, 2007, 09:49:32 PM

desert rat

Why can't we wear more than 1 specialty insignia?  the Air Force and other services can.  All we can wear is wings and a specialty.  It would be great if we could wear more, like GTM and medical officer, and wings, etc.

arajca

If you don't have wings, you can wear two.

shorning

I prefer to show my qualifications through my actions instead of some bling on my uniform.  In my opinion, too much stuff on the uniform looks unprofessional. 

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: shorning on February 19, 2007, 10:04:01 PM
I prefer to show my qualifications through my actions instead of some bling on my uniform.  In my opinion, too much stuff on the uniform looks unprofessional. 

True. ...However... ;D  The majority of cadets I know have uniforms that could put Patton to shame.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

shorning

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 19, 2007, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: shorning on February 19, 2007, 10:04:01 PM

True. ...However... ;D  The majority of cadets I know have uniforms that could put Patton to shame.

Yes, and if I wore everything I'm authorized I could put most cadets to shame.  But what's the point?  Does that make me any better at my job?  Does it mean I know more about anything?  At some point one has to realize that the being a "military" professional isn't what Hollywood makes it out to be.

SAR-EMT1

If only we could imprint this professional attitude on cadets early on...   The bad thing is that as many cadets are young they tend to have a hive syndrome of migrating towards shiny things.  ;D

Self esteem and the need to feel important, simply not knowing that professionism is in image, actions, and attitude; rather then bling. To a lesser extent its evident in the Scouts too... the Eagles don't wear much on the uniform...the 14 year old has a shirt thats covered and a sash for all his badges.

I think it might be interesting to note the result if Cadets were ever given the option of wearing their "Top 3".  As is I believe they currently must wear all or none.  > correct me if I'm wrong  <
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

swya

i( as a cadet) want to get everything not to show off and make my uniform glitter but to show that i did it and i think that is what all the other cadets are doing too
c/a1c James Collins- age 13
nellis cadet squadron- nvo69
my myspace is www.myspace.com/swya

DNall

You mean on BDUs right, cause you can wear four badges on blues. There's some talk around about making embroidered versions of all the others to be worn in the same way & cutting back on patches. I could go for something like that, but even then four badges is unprofessional looking to me. YMMV.

Cadets are a different story. I know you meant bright colors, cause they get a gillion ribbons & very few shiny badges (GTM, rocketry, maybe solo/pre-solo wings). Cadets get a bunch of stuff cause it's assumed they're immature easily ammused people chasing confetti to bling up their uniform & regular recognition keeps them excited & moving in the program. It's not nearly as bad as JROTC getting 2 ribbons for going to one drill team comp, one for a back sale, and similiar stupid crap. Ours at least are legitimately earned. Hopefully adults aren't so easily bought, but you have to wonder sometimes.

MIKE

Quote from: arajca on February 19, 2007, 10:01:39 PM

Cite please.  It's a matter of wording, and IIRC, more than one specialty insignia is not mentioned.
Mike Johnston

brasda91

Quote from: MIKE on February 20, 2007, 01:15:35 AM
Quote from: arajca on February 19, 2007, 10:01:39 PM

Cite please.  It's a matter of wording, and IIRC, more than one specialty insignia is not mentioned.

If at any time, more than one badge or device is authorized for wear in the same position on the uniform, the member will select one, to the exclusion of others, for wear in that position.  A maximum of four badges/devices may be worn on the AF-style uniforms (this includes bdu's).

The maximum of four earned badges is authorized for wear on all blue service uniforms.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

MIKE

Just checked Tables 6-2. 6-3. and 6-4.  None of which would seem to authorize more than one specialty insignia.  In fact table 6-3. specifically states that "Only one specialty insignia may be worn."  There is no wording that permits wear of an additional specialty badge.  They can only be worn with an aviation badge.
Mike Johnston

ZigZag911

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 19, 2007, 11:14:07 PM
I think it might be interesting to note the result if Cadets were ever given the option of wearing their "Top 3".  As is I believe they currently must wear all or none.  > correct me if I'm wrong  <

There was a point in my cadet days when, by CAP uniform regs, the Phase II achievement ribbons ceased to be worn upon earning the Mitchell.

It was a shock to our youthful attraction to colorful shining things, but, as cadet officers, we toughed it out somehow!

Might I note that the Bible (I believe it is Ecclesiastes?) notes that there is a time for everything?? Including, in my view, a time for a fairly plain presentation (wings/qual badge only) and a time to pull out all the stops and whistle Yankee Doodle (true, this is far rarer than the first!)

DNall

Can we clarify exactly what we're talking about here?

Quote6-5. Description and Proper Placement on the Aviator Shirt with Epaulets. When wearing the aviator shirt the gray nameplate must also be worn. CAP ribbons, CAP aviation badge and one additional CAP badge may be worn (specialty insignia, specialty badge or command badge). No other badges or patches are authorized with this combination.

Not that it seems to matter, but table 6-2 describes:
"specialty insignia" as chaplain, nurse, emt, legal, medical, & GT.
"specialty badges" as all the tech fields (CP, AE, ES, Comm, Admin, etc)

On the AF uniforms, it says 4 badges may be worn, we all know the rules for that.

I think the policy you're looking for is specialty "badges" & "insignia" are the same should be worn under the same rules as blues. You want my take, that should be restricted to two badges or wings & one over the ribbon side, period. One duty badge (which is only NB & NEC, and NB should be cut now that the CC badge covers it) on the pocket; ONLY the CC badge on the name side (over for current, highest under for past - wear only current over if you could do both).

The detailed rules on the white/blue uniform aren't really shaken out yet. Is it psecified if the white/gray or the blues rules applies? I haven't seen that, honestly the above is news to me, I thought it was the same rules as blues (minus mil badges).

O-Rex

Quote from: DNall on February 20, 2007, 12:14:37 AM
Hopefully adults aren't so easily bought, but you have to wonder sometimes.

Napoleon once said he could make men die for simple pieces of ribbon....

DNall

Quote from: O-Rex on February 20, 2007, 05:38:01 AM
Quote from: DNall on February 20, 2007, 12:14:37 AM
Hopefully adults aren't so easily bought, but you have to wonder sometimes.
Napoleon once said he could make men die for simple pieces of ribbon....
The quote is make legions of heros with yards of cloth.