Underarmer is it safe and allowed to wear?

Started by desert rat, February 19, 2007, 07:54:55 PM

DNall

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on February 21, 2007, 01:35:57 PM
From a CAP perspective though, I've read comments about the shirt melting to ones skin.  Fine.  Many things we wear will melt to our skin.

How many of us though actually participate as an aircrew member.  Nomex flight suits mean nothing to me since I don't own one or want to wear one.

As a ground team member what are my chances of being involved in a situation where my clothes may melt to my skin.  Almost nil outside of a burning car accident.  If that is the case then shouldn't all of our uniforms be of the Nomex brand?

UA for general wear in my book is okay.  Like I said, I am more concerned with what is visiable then what skivies someone is wearing.
Again NO ONE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT GROUND TEAM!! The safety issue is limited to a personal decision by aircrew members only! If a unit goes so far as to restrict it, which I don't believe has occured, then that would be limited to aircrews as well. The only issue with any other uniform combination or duty has ZERO to do with safety & ONLY concerns itself w/ 39-1. Specifically the model w/ the logo on coloar can't be worn, and if you press it to the letter of the reg (which is not done & I do nt support doing) then a logo other then a <5in Sq or CAP related logo over the left pocket area would not be authorized. No one has a real problem with it being worn with BDUs as long as any logo is covered.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

DNall

;D

I'm fine, just about the 10th time someone has mentioned the safety aspect with regard to something other than aircrew, and that's already been stipulated repeatedly in the thread.

Major_Chuck

Quote from: MIKE on February 21, 2007, 07:24:19 PM
DNall, Chillax.

I have to agree.  You're popping a fuse there when you don't need to.  My comment is merely that there's a lot of comments about fire and melting when that hazard doesn't apply to ground crews.  The comments made didn't specify 'flight crew vs ground team'.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DNall on February 21, 2007, 07:26:47 PM
;D

I'm fine, just about the 10th time someone has mentioned the safety aspect with regard to something other than aircrew, and that's already been stipulated repeatedly in the thread.

Don't blame you one bit, Dennis... and now it's Miller time!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DNall

I'm popping no fuses, not worked up in the least, just emphasizing to punctuate the statement. I didn't mean that to be directed at you personally so much as everyone. That ground was covered & closed right from the start. It's frustrating when people don't read & then repeat the same things over & over again. I can understand if it's a massive beast of a thread, but this isn't.

There are NO comments about fire danger to ground crews.There is no danger to anyone but aircrews & no one has implied that there is. There are two seperate issues. One, danger to aircrews and aircrews only, be aware of the issues & use your own best judgement; and two, potential conflict w/ uniform manual on some items due to logos, & how nitpicky anyone cares to be about that. That's it, period.

That said...
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 22, 2007, 02:49:12 AM
Quote from: DNall on February 21, 2007, 07:26:47 PM
;D
Don't blame you one bit, Dennis... and now it's Miller time!  ;D
That sounds like an outstanding idea.  ;D

Major_Chuck

Well, I did read the entire thread and what I took out of it was there was a lot of comments being made about UA burning and melting to ones skin.  If I missed the statement that seperated flight crew and ground team I apologize.

Anyways.  Moot point. Let me buy you one of those Millers and we'll sweep this one under the rug.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

DNall

desert rat

I just looked it up and here is what Air orce regulations talk about undergarments while wearing a flight suite:    "Undergarments are required.  During flight operations they must be cotton or fire retardent material due to added protection.  Udergarments made of 100% nylon or polyester are not uthorized during flight.   AFI 36-2903  2 Aug 06     3.2.6

shorning

Quote from: desert rat on February 22, 2007, 07:43:14 AM
I just looked it up and here is what Air orce regulations talk about undergarments while wearing a flight suite:    "Undergarments are required.  During flight operations they must be cotton or fire retardent material due to added protection.  Udergarments made of 100% nylon or polyester are not uthorized during flight.   AFI 36-2903  2 Aug 06     3.2.6

And?  Aircrew get specific training on what they "can", "should", and "may" wear while conducting flight operations.  AFI 36-2903 only recently spelled it out.