Main Menu

i want one of these

Started by starshippe, August 23, 2012, 03:07:53 PM

starshippe

this is the new fenix gps watch from garmin, and i want one real bad, but not for $400. i may have to wait for a few years until the price drops to $200.

http://sites.garmin.com/fenix/#begin

bill

Walkman

Sigh...

Another cool piece of kit I "need". I seriously need to make more money.

a2capt

They don't show the clock mode at all, and scantly talk about it other than in the tech specs where it talks about battery life.

This thing has to be recharged like a phone, to be expected. GPS is a power hog.

Might as well have two devices. The thing that would be uber attractive is if the GPS mode is as good as say, the Contour camera, and perhaps the GoPro, where they pretty much lock onto GPS darn near instantly, "just like that".  Compared to say .. the Nikon P510 that just blows at GPS.  Having a GPS that just works and can save it's history, could be a great filler for cameras that suck at it.

OTOH, the limited experience I've had with the Nikon AW100 was that it did fairly decently with the GPS and since the P510 came out afterwards, that's kind of surprising that it would be less functional.  But that 42X sure is nice. Tourist by zoom ;-) Great for museums. Wish I had it a month earlier, NCC and HIWG encampment would be taking up far more gigabytes here..

MIKE

Suunto Ambit is cooler looking.  About the same price point if you skip on the HR monitor.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

Then again, there's eBay/Amazon/etc. No one needs to pay MSRP or close to it, unless you're a stickler and need to shop at one of those premium retailers like REI.

starshippe

good point about the power. maybe i will wait till they develop wireless recharging.

i spent three weeks in peru in june and was changing out batteries daily in the foretrex 401 and camera. but i did get to bring back 16 gigs of neat pics and videos, and a minute by minute track log of our tour.

fer now i am putting off the temptation. i'm kinda glad i didn't have a spare $400 this morning!

bill

Equinox

Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.