Air Force Awards and Certificates

Started by Patterson, July 31, 2012, 05:11:09 AM

Patterson

I was doing some "light reading" through one of my "older" members file, and was shocked to see the huge amount of Awards/ Certificates and citations he received from the United States Air Force as a CAP Member!!  He joined in 1955 as a Cadet and turned Senior Member, but apart from the "typical" file paperwork he had both original and copies of actual documents awarded to him by the USAF.

What happened between his last Air Force certificate (1981, Extension Course Diploma) and today?  I have to say receiving an award/ CAP certificate with the letters "USAF" on them then and only "CAP" on them now is disappointing and somewhat upsetting. 

Please introduce me to the individual that took away CAP's very close connection to the United Sates Air Force!!  (Face it, we are coming to the point where we will not even be able to place "United States Air Force Auxiliary" on our letterheads.

:'(

Garibaldi

Quote from: Patterson on July 31, 2012, 05:11:09 AM
I was doing some "light reading" through one of my "older" members file, and was shocked to see the huge amount of Awards/ Certificates and citations he received from the United States Air Force as a CAP Member!!  He joined in 1955 as a Cadet and turned Senior Member, but apart from the "typical" file paperwork he had both original and copies of actual documents awarded to him by the USAF.

What happened between his last Air Force certificate (1981, Extension Course Diploma) and today?  I have to say receiving an award/ CAP certificate with the letters "USAF" on them then and only "CAP" on them now is disappointing and somewhat upsetting. 

Please introduce me to the individual that took away CAP's very close connection to the United Sates Air Force!!  (Face it, we are coming to the point where we will not even be able to place "United States Air Force Auxiliary" on our letterheads.

I seem to remember John McCain trying to sever our relationship with the AF back in the 90s, wanting to transfer responsibility to the FAA or the Treasury department or some such.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

RiverAux

Can you give some examples of some of these AF awards? 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 31, 2012, 05:26:05 AM
I seem to remember John McCain trying to sever our relationship with the AF back in the 90s, wanting to transfer responsibility to the FAA or the Treasury department or some such.

I remember that, and it was the only time other than the Congressional Gold Medal campaign that I recall NHQ authorising a letter-writing campaign (and back then it was paper letters via snail mail).

McCain's "rationale" was that since we are not a combat unit, we had no business having any connection with DoD.  He wanted to move us to DoT...conveniently ignoring the fact that DoT was the then-home for one of the Armed Forces (USCG), that does have a combat role!

I didn't write to McCain himself, though I understand that some did, and that their letters were less than polite.

I wrote to my Senators and Representative, with mixed results:

Senator A (R): I'm not on the Armed Services Committee, but thank you for your letter. ::)

Senator B (R): Fully supported McCain and didn't give a rip about CAP...said "with shrinking defence budgets, CAP is nonessential"

Representative (D): Sent me a multipage letter showing a very deep knowledge of CAP, cited our support to the Air Force, support to emergency services, and building character for young people.  Closed out by saying "rest assured, Lieutenant, that I support CAP and its missions."

That was a dicey era for CAP.  It was in the first few years after the punitive uniform measures handed down by the AF based on the actions of a few fools, and McCain was correct about shrinking defence budgets.

However, I think that the vast majority of the distance that was created was done by the corporatists in CAP that were very much in charge during that era...the ones who wanted Air Force funding but didn't want to be bothered with Air Force uniforms, C&C's and especially AF oversight.

I don't think that the distance has got much better, and I don't think it will.  There are too many in CAP with the corporatist mindset and too many in the AF who are frankly indifferent to us.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSG Mac

Part of the reason for the separation was that in the early 90s the SECAF was dissatisfied with the National Commander and found that she couldn't fire him.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 31, 2012, 08:44:49 PM
Part of the reason for the separation was that in the early 90s the SECAF was dissatisfied with the National Commander and found that she couldn't fire him.

The SECAF would be Sheila Widnall...are you referring to General Bobick?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSG Mac

No. It was not BG Bobick! I deliberately left out the people and circumstances because it was 20 years ago, and I didn't want to discredit those involved.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 31, 2012, 08:57:07 PM
No. It was not BG Bobick! I deliberately left out the people and circumstances because it was 20 years ago, and I didn't want to discredit those involved.

My apologies.  No offence was intended.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSG Mac

I didn't take offense, but since some of the people are still involved in CAP, I didn't want to put their business on the street. Those who know what was referred to don't have to be told. Those who don't have no need to be told.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

I was doing some "light reading" through one of my "older" members file,

It is interesting what you find in files from the 1950s. I had a gentleman who got a permit to carry a concealed weapon, from the Sheriff of Los Angeles County, for CAP missions. We was also Wing IG at the time so that may have something to do with it.

spacecommand

Name some awards and citations you are speaking about about in specific.

BTW Extension/Distance learning course diplomas taken by CAP members via Air University (SOS, AWC etc) are issued by the Air Force. 

QuoteI have to say receiving an award/ CAP certificate with the letters "USAF" on them then and only "CAP" on them now is disappointing and somewhat upsetting.

Depends on what courses you are speaking about.  Old AFIADL-13 "ECI-13" (replaced by CAP OBC delivered course) was for the better in my opinion. 

DrJbdm

Better is a matter of perspective. The old course ECI-13 needed to be updated, it was showing its age with the course material. The major benefit to the course was that it was worthy of college credit. The OBC is not worth any college credit at this point.