gpsbabel filtering question

Started by starshippe, July 22, 2012, 03:07:30 PM

starshippe

hopefully there are other gpsbabel users that can shed some understanding on my observation....

i use gpsbabel for filtering the current.gpx datafiles from our garmin handhelds, both for use with robo geo and as a track log for reviewing flights. with robo geo, its no big deal to import the entire 9999 datapoints, but i like to keep track logs filtered by date for inclusion in directories that i use for individual missions. for reviewing flights, using the entire gpx file is pretty much useless, so gpsbabel is pretty much essential.

besides filtering the gpx datafile in time, gpxbabel can also convert the file to a delorme gpl file, for playback using street map. it can convert back and forth between about a hundred and fifty different file formats. if the course and speed boxes are checked, each street map point will show course and speed when hovered over.

but, when using time filtering on the waypoints, it seems that the "local time" check box functions opposite to what it says. if i leave it unchecked, the filtering uses the gmt conversions for the time i enter. if i check the box, the filtering uses the time i enter as gmt. 

are there other users that have seen the same response?

polite, informative, and to the point responses will be much appreciated.

thanks,
bill

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

FutureMarine

Dear Bill, i don't know much on the subject but I will advice you on rephrasing you topic it is quite confusing.

Major Lord

Bill,

Nothing is ever easy in gpsbabel.....they do have a user's group: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc My main interest is converting NMEA logged data to KML files, but I have never really made it work smoothly!

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

starshippe

maj,
   thanks much for the link to the group. i will give it a look this eve.
   if u r trying to cut the timing close on ur converted datafiles, i would check the start and stop times shown in the activities window. as long as i "invert" the local time check box, the times used for filtering the conversion work as i expect.

thanks again,
bill

Eclipse

Seriously, man.

You're an adult and you write like that and expect to be taken seriously?  Bad enough the cadets try that nonsense.

"That Others May Zoom"

starshippe

maj,
   i suppose u've tried converting to an intermediate file format, then translating that to kml?

bill

Major Lord

Quote from: starshippe on July 23, 2012, 09:13:38 PM

maj,
   i suppose u've tried converting to an intermediate file format, then translating that to kml?

bill

Nope, but thats a good idea! I gave my APRS tracker/data logger to an elementary school so they could fly it in a high altitude balloon, so until I build another one, I won't have any data to convert! I will give the intermediate file conversion idea a shot. Clearly I have a parsing problem.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

starshippe

i've been kicking this around this afternoon and its clear that the function of the "local time" check box (filters, tracks) works just opposite to how u would think. if u check it, u will get the file filtered by gmt, and if u don't check it, the file will be filtered by the gmt conversion of local time.   

this is no big deal unless u r trying to separate the current.gpx file into precise segments, but, if u r, it can make a real mess out of ur expectations of the converted file.

bill

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

a2capt

No, the geeks I know use full sentences, words, proper punctuation and capitalization.

RogueLeader

Quote from: ol'fido on August 24, 2012, 01:09:51 PM
Geek speak alert. :o

I'm a self-described geek (others have been prone to call me one too) but I have no clue as to what he was trying to say.  We speak English here, not that . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

RogueLeader

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 24, 2012, 09:19:01 PM
Sadly, I understood it... :-[

What class teaches Interpreting Bad English Grammar?  More importantly, what campus?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ol'fido

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 24, 2012, 09:21:13 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on August 24, 2012, 09:19:01 PM
Sadly, I understood it... :-[

What class teaches Interpreting Bad English Grammar?  More importantly, what campus?
Apparently, you have never been to a math or engineering class at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006