Main Menu

CAP Encampment

Started by KirkF22, July 12, 2012, 02:29:20 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on August 19, 2012, 03:19:19 PM
Does anybody know what wings conduct a Winter Encampment or at least one that uses an alternative schedule outside the typical summer schedule?

ILWG has a 2-weekend encampment at the end of April at Great Lakes.

I believe COWG is (or was) the other wing doing a weekend schedule.

Kansas has one over the Christmas holidays.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Thanks for the tip.  I have a cadet because of other obligations couldn't make the summer encampment so I'm trying to support him with an alternative.

nesagsar

I would recommend ILWG winter encampment. They are used to getting out of state cadets and the event is held on a military base with lots of great options for activities.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: nesagsar on August 19, 2012, 05:46:56 PM
I would recommend ILWG winter encampment. They are used to getting out of state cadets and the event is held on a military base with lots of great options for activities.

We only have Spring and Summer events.

jeders

Quote from: SARDOC on August 19, 2012, 03:19:19 PM
Does anybody know what wings conduct a Winter Encampment or at least one that uses an alternative schedule outside the typical summer schedule?

TXWG will be having one this year, come on down and have some fun.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

nesagsar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 20, 2012, 01:46:06 AM
Quote from: nesagsar on August 19, 2012, 05:46:56 PM

We only have Spring and Summer events.

Fair point. What I meant was the spring encampment. What threw off my memory was how darn cold it was at that event. Pro tip: buy a field jacket with liner before the event.

SarDragon

Yeah, I was at Great Mistakes in April a while back. It was freakin' cold. No snow, though. By the time I left, it was the first week of July, and ugly hot.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Ten years ago it was common to be marching in snow.  Now we generally get at least one week of short sleeve weather, and one of rain.  I was very close to riding the bike up there this year, but just had too much stuff to bring.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I don't recall snow at all, but there was cold and rain. I got there 4/29/ and left 7/7. A long time ago.

Looked on GE a while back and all the new buildings from when I was there are all gone now.   :(
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 05:45:05 AM
Ten years ago it was common to be marching in snow.  Now we generally get at least on week of short sleeve weather, and one of rain.  I was very close to riding the bike up there this year, but just had too much stuff to bring.

And they say Global Warming isn't real...

RockRat

Quote from: Nathan on July 18, 2012, 05:18:42 PM
It's probably worth noting that CAP fees are MUCH lower than similar non-CAP activities. The kind of training you get at a CAP week-long encampment is easily worth hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars, and you get it for a little over $100.
In CA., it's about 230 bucks  :P
STAFF MEMBER

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RockRat on December 27, 2012, 11:34:35 PM
It's probably worth noting that CAP fees are MUCH lower than similar non-CAP activities. The kind of training you get at a CAP week-long encampment is easily worth hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars, and you get it for a little over $100.

Are they feeding cadets Premium Unleaded?

PHall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 28, 2012, 01:43:57 AM
Quote from: RockRat on December 27, 2012, 11:34:35 PM

Are they feeding cadets Premium Unleaded?

No, the National Guard charges for everything and I do mean everything.
Barracks are $160/day, we use two of them. Use of the theater is $390/day. It all adds up.

Eclipse

Ridiculous.  Not your or CAP's fault, but still ridiculous.

We had a similar issue like that for a while in this state as well - the state-funded guard units were treating
CAP like any other "community group" - charging us a fair penny for bare-minimum use of facilities in the same
vein as the BSA or local PTA.  It even forced one unit to move to a different facility.

The kicker was that they still expected free support for things like their deployment / get home days, etc.

Calls were made, that went away.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2012, 02:35:19 AM
Ridiculous.  Not your or CAP's fault, but still ridiculous.

We had a similar issue like that for a while in this state as well - the state-funded guard units were treating
CAP like any other "community group" - charging us a fair penny for bare-minimum use of facilities in the same
vein as the BSA or local PTA.  It even forced one unit to move to a different facility.

The kicker was that they still expected free support for things like their deployment / get home days, etc.

Calls were made, that went away.

Guard units pay the same amount.
Basically the State Military Department is supposed to be self supporting because the drones up in Sacramento cut the budget.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on December 28, 2012, 03:15:49 AM

Well that's somewhat circular, isn't?

Where does that funding come from?  The state, right (with some Federal icing on it for good measure?)

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 28, 2012, 03:36:24 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 28, 2012, 03:15:49 AM

Well that's somewhat circular, isn't?

Where does that funding come from?  The state, right (with some Federal icing on it for good measure?)

No, it comes from the Feds.  The Feds pay for the 12 Drills and the 15 Day Annual Training.