Main Menu

CAP Encampment

Started by KirkF22, July 12, 2012, 02:29:20 AM

KirkF22

I'm in Florida so I would be in the Florida wing?

Eclipse

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 13, 2012, 02:33:31 PM
I'm in Florida so I would be in the Florida wing?

Presumably, however you are free to go encampments in other wings as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

KirkF22

Is basic encampment free?

Garibaldi

Quote from: KirkF22 on July 13, 2012, 03:37:05 PM

No. Pretty much every major CAP activity, except SAREXES and meetings, you will have to pay for. Encampment fees vary; this year Arkansas Wing encampment is $125. When I was a new senior, it was $25, but that was Wisconsin. It depends on where the event is held, I think. Does the Air Force underwrite some of the cost? I don't remember.

Short answer, CAP really stands for Come And Pay. Or Crazy @$$ People, depending on where you are.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Very little in CAP is "free", nearly all the activities outside unit meetings, encampments, flight academies, etc., will have some expense, direct or otherwise, and while ES training and missions have some USAF expense reimbursement, all your equipment and most of your expenses will not be paid.

If you, or your parents, itemize on their taxes, a lot of the expense of membership is tax deductible.  Consult your tax guy for details.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nathan

It's probably worth noting that CAP fees are MUCH lower than similar non-CAP activities. The kind of training you get at a CAP week-long encampment is easily worth hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars, and you get it for a little over $100.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

CadetColonelToBe

Quote from: Pylon on July 12, 2012, 02:33:18 AM
Yes, you can be a cadet and never go to an encampment but it's not advised for a couple of reasons:

Is there some reason you'd want to join CAP but never go to an encampment?  I've been to 7 encampments from New York to Hawaii and loved every single one.
Have you been to VAWG Encampment?
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

CadetColonelToBe

CAP is a non-profit organization so you will find that almost everything in CAP costs money, but everything you pay for is mostly likely worth much more... they have to pay for everything some how
Our position on them is that if we're going to train them hard to fly, and then drag them out in the woods to look for potentially serious crashes, then they're not kids anymore, they're Cadets!

CadetColonelToBe

even staff have to pay to go to encampment

Luis R. Ramos

The CAP grunt gurus will say:

CAP = Come And Pay

CAP = Cadets Always Pay

CAP = Commanders Always Pay

CAP = Come Anybody Pay

There is no way around it. Even in a SAREX, if you do not bring lunch, there will be a collect to pay for food. Still it is the best experience around, and you will pay much more in a similar activity out of CAP...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SarDragon

You forgot:
Cash And Plastic
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on July 22, 2012, 05:40:29 AM
You forgot:
Cash And Plastic

That's my line Dave. Where's my royality check! >:D

C/Haughey

Here is a link to videos of some previous encamps made by the PA staff.

http://flcadet.com/photos-and-media/videos.aspx

Good idea of what FL encampments are.
C/2nd Lt Haughey
Cadet Commander, 089th MACS

C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Cadet Commander, FL-20056

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

spacecommand

Depending on how large your squadron is and the make up of the squadron, many of the newer cadets (who have not attended encampment yet) will most likely (depending on circumstances) be attending encampment with you.  You will join cadets from other units in your wing and out of your wing (some encampments involve multiple wings).  In addition, you might have cadets more senior than you who have already attended encampment, but will be returning to serve on the staff of the encampment as well. 

Other cadets who have already attended encampment in past years will stay and in most cases attend regular squadron meetings.

While encampment is not "required" to be part of CAP, it is required for many other things you might want to do in the future in CAP as a cadet (and is required for promotion past C/CMSgt.  In addition, most cadets will have experienced encampment at least once, and you don't want to be the odd one out.

Encampment isn't so hard as it is challenging.  Most cadets will tell you encampment is one of the best things in CAP.  The first day or so is challenging, especially for some (being the first time they are away from home for close to a week), but by the end, they are enjoying and having great fun at encampment. 

It really isn't an opportunity to miss out on if you have a chance go attend at least once and most cadets have "encampment stories" they will tell for years on (just ask many of your senior cadets).

Майор Хаткевич

Encampment is proven to fire up interest and longevity in most cadets. The hard part for some is going away from family on their own for the first time. I personally had spent plenty of time at camp/ away from relatives before ever going to encampment ,  so it didn't affect me that way, but I know some people get homesick. It's natural and probably one of the best things to learn at encampment for a young cadet.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2012, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 22, 2012, 05:40:29 AM
You forgot:
Cash And Plastic

That's my line Dave. Where's my royality check! >:D

The check's in the mail!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Danger

Being a cadet who recently graduated from MN wing encampment,

GO TO ENCAMPMENT. IT IS SO MUCH FUN.
You get to make a lot of new friends, develop leadership skill, and become more than proficient at drill. At my encampment we got CH-47 Chinook rides, and the Army's rifle simulators. Encampment is a experience you'll remember forever.

...and you get a cool ribbon ;)
"Never take anything too seriously."

SARDOC

Does anybody know what wings conduct a Winter Encampment or at least one that uses an alternative schedule outside the typical summer schedule?

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SARDOC on August 19, 2012, 03:19:19 PM
Does anybody know what wings conduct a Winter Encampment or at least one that uses an alternative schedule outside the typical summer schedule?
Florida
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"