Main Menu

AF/Pilot's blessing?

Started by Walkman, July 06, 2012, 02:38:40 PM

Walkman

I know in the Navy, it's customary to wish one "Fair winds and following seas" as a traditional send off. Is there a similar phrase used by the AF or pilots? One of my close friends is heading out to the 'Stan on Sunday. If there's a traditional blessing for pilots, I'd like to use it.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SABRE17

"keep the shiny side up"

"safe flying"

"have a safe flight"

Major Lord

They will understand if you don't bless them: Most pilots think they are God.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

coudano

lordmonar

Kick the Tires
Light the Fires
First one up is Lead
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Robert Hartigan

Any of the poems written by Gill Robb Wilson would be appropriate. One of the Trusted comes to mind.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on July 06, 2012, 08:23:11 PM
Kick the Tires
Light the Fires
First one up is Lead

"Brief on Guard, first one to the runway is lead." is the way I always heard the last bit.

Then there was " Chalk two, catch up and shut up. All I wanna hear outta you is 'God, you're smooth!' or 'Hey, you're on fire!'."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bflynn

Quote from: coudano on July 06, 2012, 08:23:04 PM
"don't screw up"  (lol)

Shepard's prayer - Lord, don't let me screw this up.

"fly where the BBs aren't"

titanII

Quote from: bflynn on July 07, 2012, 12:14:53 AM
except he didn't say "screw"  >:D
At least according to The Right Stuff....
No longer active on CAP talk

PHall

Quote from: titanII on July 07, 2012, 01:01:51 AM
except he didn't say "screw"  >:D
At least according to The Right Stuff....

Wasn't the same "prayer" used in Space Cowboys too?

ol'fido

Yes, but they were quoting "Jose" Shepard as well.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

bflynn

Quote from: titanII on July 07, 2012, 01:01:51 AM
except he didn't say "screw"

Correct, but this is a family board...

JK657

Best advice you can give someone for going to A-Stan:

Don't eat at the DFAC on mexican food night

You might just save his life!

AngelWings

Quote from: JK657 on July 07, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Better yet, don't eat Army food! My god, when I was at JROTC's form of encampment (JCLC) they served us Army food, and some days the MRE's were much tastier than the Army good.

RogueLeader

Quote from: AngelWings on July 07, 2012, 06:23:16 PM

Better yet, don't eat Army food! My god, when I was at JROTC's form of encampment (JCLC) they served us Army food, and some days the MRE's were much tastier than the Army good.

I usually preferred ramen noddles to my dfac. Now the 82nd or SF dfac's were really good.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ol'fido

Anybody ever throw the hot chocolate pack, the instant coffee packet, the non-dairy creamer packet, the sugar packet, and a little Hershey's chocolate Syrup into a canteen cup, light up a heat tab, and brew up a good hot drink? Did that sitting in the rain late one night on top of a hill overlooking the Han River in BEAUTIFUL rural ROK. >:D

As for a salution: Viva la legion! Viva la guerre. You watch your [hind end] over there!

NIN

Quote from: ol'fido on July 07, 2012, 09:40:46 PM
Anybody ever throw the hot chocolate pack, the instant coffee packet, the non-dairy creamer packet, the sugar packet, and a little Hershey's chocolate Syrup into a canteen cup, light up a heat tab, and brew up a good hot drink? Did that sitting in the rain late one night on top of a hill overlooking the Han River in BEAUTIFUL rural ROK. >:D

As for a salution: Viva la legion! Viva la guerre. You watch your [hind end] over there!

I have brewed up that very same thing (sans the chocolate syrup) in a pretty similar spot not far from where you're talking. Yeoju, perhaps?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Walkman

"Clear skies and tailwinds" is what I found online.

AngelWings

Quote from: NIN on July 07, 2012, 11:58:20 PM

I have brewed up that very same thing (sans the chocolate syrup) in a pretty similar spot not far from where you're talking. Yeoju, perhaps?
I'll have to try this mix sometime... with an added ingredient that I am going to keep quiet about to not make this conversation disgusting.

AirDX

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

AngelWings

ol'fido

Don't know exactly. It's hard to navigate in the back end of a 5 ton with the flap down at 3am in 20* weather. I will at least hand it to the ROK truck drivers. They know how to apply the brakes and accelerate without slamming you around in the back. Our own truck drivers were taught to drive 0 mph or 50 mph. Nothing else was allowed so it was slam on the brakes or stomp the pedal for them. I estimate we were about an hour or so out of Osan AFB. Team Spirit '90.

Private Investigator

Yes sir, Team Spirit '78.   8)

Private Investigator

Back on topic; I like ...

"May the force be with you."   8)

RogueLeader

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 08, 2012, 04:45:38 PM
Back on topic; I like ...

"May the force be with you."   8)

No!!!   >:( >:(

The Force will be with you; always.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

bosshawk

Hah!  I was in Korea years before Team Spirit was even thought about.  June 63-July 64 and it hasn't changed much since, except for building high rises, cars and freeways.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Garibaldi

You haven't truly lived until you have opened a C-rat can, ate the "food", THEN looked at the date on the bottom. And the sad thing is, we loved them. We carried P-38 can openers on our dog tag chains. And then MREs came along. No wonder I can eat almost anything now without any ill effects...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AngelWings

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 08, 2012, 08:47:24 PM

Better yet, don't eat Army food! My god, when I was at JROTC's form of encampment (JCLC) they served us Army food, and some days the MRE's were much tastier than the Army food.

You haven't truly lived until you have opened a C-rat can, ate the "food", THEN looked at the date on the bottom. And the sad thing is, we loved them. We carried P-38 can openers on our dog tag chains. And then MREs came along. No wonder I can eat almost anything now without any ill effects...
No thank you. Those preservatives and my... let's just say I was talking about an added ingredient.

ol'fido

REMEMBER...DON'T SLEEP ON THE HAPPY MOUNDS!!!

SarDragon

Team Spirit - '81, '82, '83; USS Midway.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret