A Memorial Day #Salute to our Active, Reserve, -AND- Auxiliary Members

Started by BrannG, May 28, 2012, 09:40:45 PM

BrannG

Civil Air Patrol has been a part of our nations history for over 70 years. They protected our country than, and still do today. Our over all mission mirrors that of the Rescue units in the United States Air Force - "That Others May Live". 

With honor I have shook the hands of military members and said Thank You. As someone who served in the Air Force as well as in the Civil Air Patrol, I understand the cost. My family has been a major military family for as long as I can remember. I was raised by my Father, who passed away this month. He was a Basic Military Training Instructor here in San Antonio, Texas - also known as Military City, USA. He introduced me to the Air Force, and to the Civil Air Patrol. He showed me what it meant to be a military family, and member of the Air Force. What it meant to have honor, respect and commendably to a greater cause. He is the reason I remain in the Civil Air Patrol today.

He would, knowing he didn't have to, salute the senior members in uniform of the Civil Air Patrol. When I was a cadet, I asked him why. He told me because like the members of the Air Force, they too have died in service to our country. They protected the shores of our great country during World War II and they save hundreds of lives every year. He explained that even though the members of our military put their lives on the line, they do so with benefits, pay, housing, and they are rightfully taken care of by our country, however the members of the Civil Air Patrol do the same thing without pay, without benefits, and do so completely as volunteers. That day I found the reason of why I was proud to be a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol, and why I have remained proud to this day.

So take this thank you and this #Salute not because we have to give this respect, but because the ones who wear the uniform, and provide the services to our country that they are not required to - have earned it.

To all the members of the Civil Air Patrol - thank you. You too, are remembered.

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

Nicely stated.

Today I thought about my father - stepfather actually, but the only father I ever knew on Earth - quite a bit.  He died in 2005 of colorectal cancer.

If not for him I wouldn't have known about the military.  He did two years National Guard and two years Active Army.

I still have some of his old insignia, his old Ike jacket and his yearbook from the 4th Armored Division.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011