Main Menu

CAP Promotion Certificates

Started by BrannG, May 25, 2012, 11:23:17 PM

BrannG

Hey everyone! Just wanted to share some of my creations with you. I'm not yet reactive in CAP, but the application is processing. I was with CAP for a long time and I look forward to working with this great organization once again.

As a business owner, I know the importance of moral and image in an organization, this is even more important for volunteer organizations. I have created a complete set of promotion certificates for your use. They were made with Word 2010. The cadet versions are not protected, the senior member ones however are, but with editable fields. I have attached sample images from each version.

The Senior Member is within CAPR 35-5, and includes the "Promotion Oath" per 1-7 of that regulation.

The Cadet version also has a "reaffirmation" of their oath as well.

Both versions are zipped up nice and neat and stored in my Google Drive at the following location:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9q3lGwjA8XJQmlnSzI2d3Y3Ujg

Samples :

Senior Member Version

Cadet Version

Of course they look even better when printed on certificate paper and framed :) Remember, it takes a community to serve a community - keep up the great work and fly safe!

Lackland Cadet Squadron - SWR-TX-007 2012-Current
Kelly Composite Squadron - 42178 (Deactivated) 1994-2000
Cadet from 1994-1998
Senior Member from 1998-2000, 2012-Current
United States Air Force 2000-2006, 0-3

Eclipse

I actually like these, though the watermark may have different results depending on the printer.

A couple of issues.

Not all rank is "permanent" at appointment - Lt Col is provisional (as are Col and Gen).  At the unit level you're most likely to see Lt Col.

Above 1st Lt, the promotion is not based on the power of the unit CC. 

I would move to a font more in line with other National certs - at a guess I'd say it's Times or similar.

Kudos on using Google Drive, but it's asking me for a login - that might be because I have multiple Business accounts, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Looks good.

No login required for me.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

BrannG

I was looking at that, the all the ranks here are permanent per the regulations, however, BGEN and MGEN are Temporary.

On the senior member certificates, the approving party is editable :) So I think that will fix that issue. If you find any more, let me know and I'll be happy to fix! :D

Cadet from 1994-1998

BrannG

Oh! And about the watermark, I agree, the quality may be poor depending on the type of printer. I tested on a Dell 1320c Color Laser, and it came out great. I would highly recommend a test print first :)

Cadet from 1994-1998

krnlpanick

Very nice work! I like these a lot!
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

titanII

You probably realized this, BrannG, but the certificates say "he" and "his." I hope that this will change for female recipients...
Again you probably already knew that, but better safe than sorry!
No longer active on CAP talk

BrannG

:) I wish I could show the editable fields in a jpeg screen shot :) he/his can be changed :)

Cadet from 1994-1998

Eclipse

Quote from: BrannG on May 25, 2012, 11:40:53 PM
I was looking at that, the all the ranks here are permanent per the regulations, however, BGEN and MGEN are Temporary.
That is incorrect.

Lt Col is provisional for the first calendar year, requiring specific approval by the Region CC on the anniversary, this changed in 2009.
I personally know of at least one that was not made permanent.

See CAPR 35-5, page 4

Individuals promoted to the grade of lieutenant colonel after 1 October 2009 will require specific action by the approving authority to
authorize the permanent grade of lieutenant colonel.  One year after the initial promotion to lieutenant colonel, the individual member's name will appear in the approving authority's Commander's Corner application.  Commanders may confirm the individual's permanent promotion to the grade of lieutenant colonel, extend the temporary grade of lieutenant colonel for an additional year, or have the individual revert to the previous grade held prior to promotion to lieutenant colonel.

"That Others May Zoom"

BrannG

Ek! I found an issue with the cadet versions at then end..

"to be of service to MY..."

The Cadet Version is not secure, so please make sure you change that to "their" lol

Thanks for all the input! :D

Cadet from 1994-1998

BrannG

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2012, 11:50:33 PM
Quote from: BrannG on May 25, 2012, 11:40:53 PM
That is incorrect.

Lt Col is provisional for the first calendar year, requiring specific approval by the Region CC on the anniversary, this changed in 2009.
I personally know of at least one that was not made permanent.

See CAPR 35-5, page 4

Individuals promoted to the grade of lieutenant colonel after 1 October 2009 will require specific action by the approving authority to
authorize the permanent grade of lieutenant colonel.  One year after the initial promotion to lieutenant colonel, the individual member's name will appear in the approving authority's Commander's Corner application.  Commanders may confirm the individual's permanent promotion to the grade of lieutenant colonel, extend the temporary grade of lieutenant colonel for an additional year, or have the individual revert to the previous grade held prior to promotion to lieutenant colonel.

Ahhh! Good catch! Thank you sir! #salute

I shall fix it after this little thing called dinner... hmm..

Cadet from 1994-1998

MSG Mac

As long as we're nit picking. Officers are "appointed" not promoted.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

BrannG

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 26, 2012, 01:14:50 AM

I know in active duty they are appointed, but I believe CAP 'promotes' as we aren't commissioned by President of the United States like active duty is. Could be wrong - input anyone?

Cadet from 1994-1998

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BrannG on May 26, 2012, 01:49:14 AM

I know in active duty they are appointed, but I believe CAP 'promotes' as we aren't commissioned by President of the United States like active duty is. Could be wrong - input anyone?

Appointed into the grade by authority of the commander, but we are not commissioned by the President. Suggestion: it's really 'grade' and not 'rank'; rank detemines the seniority within the grade.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eagle

It might be nice to have a spot, perhaps below the CAP emblem, for the current Cadet Commander to sign.
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

BrannG

Well, I tried to edit the original post but don't have the option, so I hope anyone reading this likes to scroll down for additional input.

Updated the files per everyone's suggestions, I love having input on projects like this! I will post new pictures of the changed versions as well as a picture showing all the editable fields. There is a new download link, THE ONE ABOVE NO LONGER WORKS! :) So lets go over the changes.

Senior Member versions now are called Certificates of Appointment. All mentions of RANK have been removed and now state GRADE. I wasn't sure if I should follow the Air Force example and put the actual grade beside the full name of the rank earned. Ie - Captain / O-3. So let me know what ya'll think about that.

Sample of Senior Member Version:

The Cadet version had a few more changes, these are still called Certificates of Promotion (as they are being promoted in the Cadet Program vs appointed) The mention of RANK was changed to GRADE. Also on the cadet version, I'm not sure if we should put the grade next the name, much like the senior member version, except with the obvious cadet indicator. Ie - Cadet Staff Sergeant / C/E-4. Lastly, the signatures have changed to CADET COMMANDER on the left, and SQUADRON COMMANDER on the right.

Sample of the Cadet Version:

Both versions are now locked and have the exact same editable fields, as shown in yellow here. Remember - YELLOW means EDITABLE :)

Thank you everyone for the input - I may be doing the leg work, but fact is, we're making these together - your input is super helpful! :)

OH! And before I forget, we added TWO new Certificates of Appointment for Senior Members, the TEMPORARY GRADE certificates for Lt. Col and Col. :)

Forgot something --->> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9q3lGwjA8XJMWpZeVpXZmVqbjQ     <--- download link :)

Cadet from 1994-1998

ßτε

"...their community, state and nation." should be consistent with the rest, ie "his community, state, and nation." with his editable like the rest.

Oh, and what is the new download link?

BrannG

yea, I can see that.. I used their since in the form of the sentence, their rolled much better. Could be wrong.. Input from anyone else? 

And i am oddly enough, able to edit the update post, so I added the link there :) Just in case this makes a new page, its here ->

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9q3lGwjA8XJMWpZeVpXZmVqbjQ

Cadet from 1994-1998

titanII

Quote from: BrannG on May 26, 2012, 07:16:03 PM
yea, I can see that.. I used their since in the form of the sentence, their rolled much better. Could be wrong.. Input from anyone else? 
Technically, "his" or "her" would be grammatically correct.
No longer active on CAP talk

BrannG

I'll put that on tomorrow's update. I'll try to update the same files so google drive doesn't generate yet another new link.. :|

Cadet from 1994-1998

SARDOC

Quote from: BrannG on May 26, 2012, 01:49:14 AM

If we are nit picking, might as well bring around the correction that Military officers are actually Commissioned by Congress not the President.

BrannG

ROFLMAO! Well.. actually if you have seen the congressional appointment, it starts off "The President of the United States", however technically your right. :) You can actually see a "copy" of these appointments if you google "DD-1"

:) Remember to smile! :D

Cadet from 1994-1998

NC Hokie

My $0.02...

Take out the word "permanent" in the phrase "has been appointed to the permanent grade of" in the Senior Member certificate. For the cadet certificate, change the wording to "has been promoted to the grade of."
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

BrannG

The regs say that the appointment of a senior member to any rank (besides Lt Col / Col / BGen / MGen) is in fact permanent, in the case of Lt Col and Col they are temporary for 1 year and may be made permanent. Nice suggestion, and I can understand it, however I don't see reason to not mention the status of the appointment.

Cadet from 1994-1998

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: titanII on May 26, 2012, 08:25:36 PM
Quote from: BrannG on May 26, 2012, 07:16:03 PM
Technically, "his" or "her" would be grammatically correct.
Their refers to multiple people (I forget the actual name of the error). His or her would be correct, since you are refering to one person.

That said his or her doesn't flow well in a sentence. So it is grammatically correct to assume a gender (I.E. using his/her). You might be called sexist, though.

It is all style, so YMMV.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

ßτε

Don't use "his or her".
Be consistent with what you have in the rest of the document. Use "his" and make it editable like you did the others.

BrannG

Quote from: BrannG on May 26, 2012, 09:42:46 PM
I'll put that on tomorrow's update. I'll try to update the same files so google drive doesn't generate yet another new link.. :|

Thanks for the extra input, but as I said in my own quote here, I'll put in the next update. Be later today when I decide to take the hour to open each file and edit it.. it isn't as easy as it looks :P Have to open each file, unlock the file so I can edit, change and make the new change editable, and relock the document, save and do this for each and every rank. :) 

Cadet from 1994-1998

FlyTiger77

Quote from: SARDOC on May 26, 2012, 09:56:22 PM
If we are nit picking, might as well bring around the correction that Military officers are actually Commissioned by Congress not the President.

Commissioned officers receive their commission from the President. Some grades, if not all, require the advice and consent of the Senate, not Congress as a whole.

Warrant officers recieve a warrant from their respective Service Secretary. (Note: Chief Warrant Officers [W-2 through W-5] are commissioned officers--see above)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP