Which do You Prefer: Flight Cap, or Service Cap?

Started by Guardrail, February 05, 2007, 06:11:16 PM

Which do You Prefer: Flight Cap, or Service Cap?

Flight Cap
35 (63.6%)
Service Cap
20 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

ColonelJack

Quoting Hawk200:
"It may have been cost savings, but it wasn't appreciated when McPeak showed up at Nixon's funeral wearing a flight cap. It was reinstated later as "optional" headgear for most ranks."

I remember that ... McPeak in his flight cap and airline pilot uniform.

I know I've said it before, but when the McPeak-style rank was first introduced (sleeve stripes ala Navy) a friend of mine in CAP who was also an AF Reserve LtCol said he was retiring, thanks to McPeak's uniform.  "If I wanted to look like I fly for Delta Air Lines," he said, "I'd go fly for Delta Air Lines."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

brasda91

Once again, it depends on the uniform.  Needed more options to give a better result.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Smokey

I have a service cap for formal / special occasions.   Flight cap is worn 99% of the time.   

I picked one up after I attended a military funeral and most of the officers (AF) were wearing the service cap.  I was in service dress w/flight cap.

I think AF regs require majors and above to own one.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Hawk200

Quote from: Smokey on February 06, 2007, 04:26:58 PMI think AF regs require majors and above to own one.

You'd be right. It is required for majors and up.

ZigZag911

Formal occasion = service cap

Less formal (unit weekly meeting, commanders call) = flight cap (because it's more practical, I've always preferred appearance of service cap....flight cap reminds me of Boy Scout hat! please note, nothing against BSA, I'm an Eagle myself)

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 06, 2007, 08:54:30 PM
Formal occasion = service cap

Less formal (unit weekly meeting, commanders call) = flight cap (because it's more practical, I've always preferred appearance of service cap....flight cap reminds me of Boy Scout hat! please note, nothing against BSA, I'm an Eagle myself)

Eh...Eagle to Eagle... I never saw a BSA flight cap..Anyone in my entire Council would probably laugh their head off. ... HOWEVER I do have a spiffy lookin Campaign Hat that I picked up at Jamboree one year.  ;D

Back to topic:  It depends on the occasion I guess.  Ive even worn gloves and such to a funeral. ( And Ive ever been tasked to assist in a military funeral due to a last minute injury of the honor guard assigned)  - I was more then happy to assist although I don't know if I can claim happiness at such an event.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Al Sayre

I remember the BSA flight cap, we wore them up until the red berets came out in the 1970's.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ZigZag911

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 07, 2007, 11:32:04 AM

Eh...Eagle to Eagle... I never saw a BSA flight cap..Anyone in my entire Council would probably laugh their head off. ... HOWEVER I do have a spiffy lookin Campaign Hat that I picked up at Jamboree one year.  ;D

I realize I'm dating myself...back in the 60s, standard BSA headgear was an overseas type cap!

SAR-EMT1

Neat!  :)
The 50's and 60's were, from everything Ive heard, a great time to be a Scout.... better then these days anyway.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ZigZag911

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 07, 2007, 09:39:44 PM
Neat!  :)
The 50's and 60's were, from everything Ive heard, a great time to be a Scout.... better then these days anyway.

I was a scoutmaster in late 70s, 'new' program, actually pretty sensible,,,,,I don't know a lot about what's going on today....what I read in newspapers isn't all that impressive in terms of current approach to training -- but you gotta figure that the media probably misquotes BSA as regularly as they do CAP!!!

Joe Baker

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 05, 2007, 07:45:30 PM
But that was during the massive changes from the McPeak uniform, which actually eliminated headgear completely in its first draft.  I don't know if service caps are issued now during BMT, but I got mine in '75 when I was at Lackland.  Still have it, though it doesn't fit any more.  (Comments about me being a "fathead" will not be appreciated.  They'll be funny, but they won't be appreciated.)

Jack

Isn't the "Mkgeek"
Josiah Baker, FO, CAP
Logistics Assistant, Timmerman Composite Squadron, GLR-WI-002

"A good simulator check ride is like successful surgery on a cadaver."

Chappie

For the routine wear of uniform (squadron meetings, group/wing meetings, conferences, SLS/CLC/UCC, encampment, CPC, Staff College, etc), I wear the flight cap.

Like others, I reserve the wear of service cap for the more formal events (memorial services, special observances, etc.).
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Major Carrales

Quote from: Chappie on February 12, 2007, 12:19:44 AM
routine wear

That struck me as interesting.  Routine wear for me is once maybe twice a week depending on activity.  For some it is twice a month, maybe three.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major_Chuck

Don't like either piece of headgear.  Would prefer an optional heather-grey beret.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Hawk200

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on February 14, 2007, 01:04:52 AM
Don't like either piece of headgear.  Would prefer an optional heather-grey beret.

Why? That beret is worn by Air Force combat weather troops that are augmenting Army Airborne units. Believe me, those folks would not appreciate that.

CAP doesn't really need berets. I used to think they were cool, until I had to wear one (Army Guard). They're a pain. Service caps and flight caps are fine for us. And we don't have any program that really equates to the hardcare personnel in the military that rate them.

Major_Chuck

Why?  Because I like them now. (I'm in the Army Guard too and hated them in the begining.)  Granted, they don't serve a purpose but neither does the bus driver cap or the flight cap.

I think we tend to overthink what the Air Force thinks about us and what they don't think.

Personally, a grey beret with the white/grey aviator uniform would look really sharp. 
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Major Carrales

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on February 15, 2007, 12:50:39 AM
Why?  Because I like them now. (I'm in the Army Guard too and hated them in the begining.)  Granted, they don't serve a purpose but neither does the bus driver cap or the flight cap.

I think we tend to overthink what the Air Force thinks about us and what they don't think.

Personally, a grey beret with the white/grey aviator uniform would look really sharp. 

Its my understanding that one can have any head gear with the white/grey aviator uniform, or jacket for that matter.

CAP 39-1 says...
"Headgear is not required but a CAP baseball cap may be
worn."

What does that mean?  You don't have to wear a hat/cap, but you can wear a CAP baseball CAP?  Does that mean exclusively?

I don't wear this combo, but could someone wear a cover that is not a baseball CAP?  I ask this for the benefit of the question.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 15, 2007, 01:39:12 AM
Its my understanding that one can have any head gear with the white/grey aviator uniform, or jacket for that matter.

CAP 39-1 says...
"Headgear is not required but a CAP baseball cap may be
worn."

What does that mean?  You don't have to wear a hat/cap, but you can wear a CAP baseball CAP?  Does that mean exclusively?

I don't wear this combo, but could someone wear a cover that is not a baseball CAP?  I ask this for the benefit of the question.

To just take the manual at face value, yeah it probably means exclusively.

Major_Chuck

Being that there is no prescribed headgear or coat/jacket for the white/grey aviator uniform I choose to wear what looks the best with it.  Brown A2 Aviator leather jacket and if I so desire, grey beret.

Just my interpretation of the manual. 

I have seen worse:  Baseball cap that supports  your favorite NASCAR driver or local farmers cooperative;  jacket with the local body shop advertisement on the back;  highschool letterman jackets.  Stetsons.  Riding coats.  Camo field jackets;  any variety of Tree Bark brand jackets.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS