Units with no proximate "USAF Culture" Present

Started by Major Carrales, February 05, 2007, 06:08:16 PM

DogCollar

How about "Citizen Responders?"  Nah...

"Citizen Flunky's?"...."Citizen Watches?"...."Citizen Kanes?" ;D

Gosh...I really am having trouble thinking of a good phrase.  
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

sandman

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 06, 2007, 09:50:37 PM
"Citizen Auxiliarists"

Almost there ;D

How to denote our status as members of the AF family in such a succinct sound bite though?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

sandman

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 05, 2007, 06:08:16 PM
We have been talking professional development and image and many people have brought up experiences at USAF installations.  I am well aware of many units that have close ties to our USAF installations and that are situated in areas steeped in USAF tradition due to proximate USAF bases and or other military units.

But...

What if your unit is miles from such installations and exists in a military vacuum lacking even many prior service types.  One has to admit that there is no natural USAF/military culture present.  Thus, all that would be known is the manual and attempts to follow through.

How is that mitigated?  What can be done to mentor those that likely will likely have no mentor?  Done one run the risk of forming a "corporate" squadron?

What say you...

Can the lack of military training be mitigated through current technology? If I were to start a new flight or squadron and had no military background or members with military experience, how would I know how to salute properly?

What if the manual was available online or via CD ROM with video files on how to execute military customs and courtesies properly? Views from different angles of the salute, for example, would be properly executed with close ups of hand position etc. performed by an active or reserve drill instructor. This could be expanded to include formations, marching, and how to properly perform an awards ceremony among others.

Most people have some idea of how to "act" military, even if their only perspective is from TV and movies. I would imagine those same people have the general intelligence to adapt from example the methods on how to conduct D&C when presented in video format.

To look at the photos and illustrations in a manual, a 2-D static display, does not give enough information to properly conduct D&C.
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Al Sayre

Let's get R. Lee Ermy on the job!  The OPSEC breifing was mildly amusing.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

sandman

Met him a couple of times, Great to see him talk to the troops in the hospital. ;D
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Hawk200

Quote from: sandman on February 06, 2007, 10:13:04 PM
Can the lack of military training be mitigated through current technology? If I were to start a new flight or squadron and had no military background or members with military experience, how would I know how to salute properly?

What if the manual was available online or via CD ROM with video files on how to execute military customs and courtesies properly? Views from different angles of the salute, for example, would be properly executed with close ups of hand position etc. performed by an active or reserve drill instructor. This could be expanded to include formations, marching, and how to properly perform an awards ceremony among others.

Thinks that make you go: "Hey, that's a great idea!". This would be so easy to do, it's almost funny. Video CD, or DVD (or for the less technologically advanced: VCR) would be an ideal method of training. Might not be the same as having an in-person instructor, but it would teach a lot.

QuoteMost people have some idea of how to "act" military, even if their only perspective is from TV and movies. I would imagine those same people have the general intelligence to adapt from example the methods on how to conduct D&C when presented in video format.

I can't stand a lot of "military" movies. Half of them leave me on a slow boil when I see sheer idiocy portrayed as military. A lot of what is shown is absolute ignorance. Incorrect uniforms, salutes that look like a three year old taught them, and just a complete lack of bearing, not to mention how most actors wear uniforms as just regular clothes.

Although, a lot of the people that did learn "military" from movies, might be easily reachable with a video that's properly done.

QuoteTo look at the photos and illustrations in a manual, a 2-D static display, does not give enough information to properly conduct D&C.

Which goes back to the subject mentioned earlier: It's not "all in the regs".

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: sandman on February 06, 2007, 09:56:51 PM
"Citizen Auxiliarists"

Almost there ;D

How to denote our status as members of the AF family in such a succinct sound bite though?

Had a retired O-4 sum it up this way: A CAP Officer / AF Auxiliarist is:
"A highly trained and motivated member of a professional organization staffed by volunteers. "   I used that on another thread too, its somewhat consice but seems a bit long for me. Feel free to chop it down a bit.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Major Carrales

"Citizen Auxiliarists"

Almost there ;D

Citizen Aviators?  Citizen Supplementarians?  Citizen Air Patrolers?

The only term that seem to sound correct is "Citizen Airmen."  We may have to realize that there is no quick soundbite for what we are.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 07, 2007, 04:21:15 PM

The only term that seem to sound correct is "Citizen Airmen."  We may have to realize that there is no quick soundbite for what we are.

Maybe a catch phrase? "Volunteer Airmen performing Missions for America" ?

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 07, 2007, 04:25:45 PM

Maybe a catch phrase? "Volunteer Airmen performing Missions for America" ?

How about this...
Civil Air Patrol: Flying High, Saving Lives and Educating The Future

Commander
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

I wouldn't use Flying High for an organization that gets DDR funds.  :D
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on February 07, 2007, 04:31:46 PM
I wouldn't use Flying High for an organization that gets DDR funds.  :D
Noted...

How about this...

Civil Air Patrol: Saving Lives and Educating The Future

Commander
SWR-TX-454

sandman

"Citizen Auxiliarists"

Almost there ;D

Difficult to say....
Perhaps Ted had the answer already: "Civil Airman" or "Civil Airmen"

Ted? Can we usurp the term? ;)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Hawk200

Quote from: sandman on February 07, 2007, 06:46:07 PM
Difficult to say....

Isn't anybody with a pilots license considered a "civil Airmen"? Not criticizing, just asking.

sandman

Maybe:

"Air Auxiliarists"

"Auxiliary Airmen"

"AF Auxmen" (AF as in "aflac"; see Aflac Duck)

"Volunteer Airmen"

...thinking, thinking.......
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Hawk200

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 07, 2007, 07:10:43 PM
Quote from: sandman on February 07, 2007, 06:46:07 PM
Difficult to say....

Isn't anybody with a pilots license considered a "civil Airmen"? Not criticizing, just asking.

I would call such a person a "Civil Aviator,"  he term "Airman" suggests a link to the USAF that can be traced back to the days of Hoyt Vandenberg (originally to set USAF personnel aside from US Army Personnel), if I am not mistaken.  Using the word "Civilian" or "Civil" would modify the term to cover basically what CAP is.  That would also include USCGAux members.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 07, 2007, 08:26:15 PM
I would call such a person a "Civil Aviator,"  he term "Airman" suggests a link to the USAF that can be traced back to the days of Hoyt Vandenberg (originally to set USAF personnel aside from US Army Personnel), if I am not mistaken.  Using the word "Civilian" or "Civil" would modify the term to cover basically what CAP is.  That would also include USCGAux members.

I know the FAA publishes an "Airman's Information Manual". They don't say "Civil" in front of it, but the term "airmen" is not limited to Air Force use.

Type "airman" into the FAA's website search box and see what you get. Link:  http://www.faa.gov/

When applied to military members, "Airman" could be an Air Force member (in general, not counting grade), a rank bracket within the Air Force (Airman Basic thru Senior Airman), or an enlisted rank bracket in the Navy that covers sailors within an aviation related field. Even in the military, "airman" is a pretty broad term.