Oakley Gov't Sales (usstandardissue.com) drops CAP?

Started by ♠SARKID♠, April 10, 2012, 12:57:29 AM

♠SARKID♠

Last year a fellow CAP member was denied his renewal for usstandardissue.com, Oakley's gov't only discount sales site.  For a few years now they've been fine with giving CAP members access, as far as I know.  I was surprised they denied him, and now they've denied my renewal too. I sent in the scan of my ID a few days ago and I just received the denial email.  Looks like we don't kick enough doors for them to have us anymore.  If you do have a membership, get everything you want now before your access expires.

QuoteWe are sorry but we were not able to approve your ID for one of the following reasons:

- Does not qualify as Ballistic or Tactical use.
- The identification information you sent does not meet the guidelines of our program. The Oakley Military and Government Sales program is for active duty military, reserve, federal and local law enforcement, fire, EMS and those holding military retiree credentials.

- Your faxed ID was not legible; e.g., too dark, too light, blurry
- Your uploaded ID image was not legible; e.g., too dark, blurry
- We do not accept foreign military/government identification information. Please visit our home page (http://www.usstandardissue.com) and locate the foreign military link at the bottom of the page to find an office in your area.

Has anybody else been denied?

Eclipse

Search is your friend - asked, answered, and beaten to death.

"That Others May Zoom"

Noble Six

United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

HGjunkie

Quote from: NIN on April 10, 2012, 04:38:55 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2012, 01:03:44 AM

Helpful.

There was a thread I was stupid enough to participate in with some unknown former Spaatz cadet who argued and belittled everyone about trying to regain access to USSI. It went down the toilet very fast, I would not recommend doing it again.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Q. Do I qualify for your program? 
A. The Oakley Military and Government Sales program is only available to the following personnel types that have an active Government or Military ID, these include:
Active Duty Military personnel
Military Reserve personnel
Sworn Federal & Local Law Enforcement Officers
Fire Department personnel
Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel
Military retirees that have Government or Military ID
Veterans with Military ID's (excludes employees of Veteran Affairs) 

CAP is a civilian organization.  We do not fit in any of those categories.  There's nothing to discuss.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: HGjunkie on April 10, 2012, 08:38:27 PM
Quote from: NIN on April 10, 2012, 04:38:55 AM

Helpful.

There was a thread I was stupid enough to participate in with some unknown former Spaatz cadet who argued and belittled everyone about trying to regain access to USSI. It went down the toilet very fast, I would not recommend doing it again.

Good to know you guys would think I'd do that to you.

If its been discussed, say so without being snarky about it.  I've been around here long enough to have earned that much out of you.

Eclipse

All are equal in the eyes of "Search Is Your Friend"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: bflynn on April 10, 2012, 08:44:57 PM
A. The Oakley Military and Government Sales program is only available to the following personnel types that have an active Government or Military ID, these include:

CAP is a civilian organization.  We do not fit in any of those categories.  There's nothing to discuss.

CAP was on that list until someone (from CAP Talk, actually) messed it up for everyone.
Serving since 1987.

davidsinn

Quote from: Stonewall on April 11, 2012, 02:03:48 AM
Quote from: bflynn on April 10, 2012, 08:44:57 PM

CAP was on that list until someone (from CAP Talk, actually) messed it up for everyone.

I've got enough pitchforks and torches to equip a small platoon. What's the name? >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Too late now. The damage is done. If it's who I'm thinking, that person has gotten the boot anyway.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N Harmon

Quote from: bflynn on April 10, 2012, 08:44:57 PMCAP is a civilian organization.  We do not fit in any of those categories.  There's nothing to discuss.

In fairness, a majority of the categories are civilian organizations. However you are correct that Civil Air Patrol doesn't fit into any of them. Oakley has also been denying applications from reserve police officers who are not sworn LE, so it isn't like they are just targeting CAP members.

I'm not really sure what Oakley is trying to accomplish here. I was quite a loyal customer of theirs, even before finding out about the discount. And even more so afterward. But now? *shrug* I don't really feel they need any of my money.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Eclipse

+1 - it's not as if the products we're discussing are uber-secret, or not available to the public, you just have to be willing to pay for them.
(Though I'd still pay a good buck for a Sand Bag 1).

"That Others May Zoom"

RMW14

Not sure if this will add to the discussion or not but I lost interest in Oakley after they dropped their lifetime warranty. The company use to support EMS and had a understanding that if a product failed while working, they would replace it for free. I had a frame literally fall apart on a call (no other damage to the frame prior and no impacts to the frame on the call) and Oakley wouldn't do anything about it. I switched to Native eyewear and never looked back. Native has a lifetime warranty, they are better made, and you get more bang for you buck( polarized lenses that don't cost $300 and actually work better than Oakley!).
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

a2capt

Oakley is just over-rated plastic crap anyway, marketed to heck. Scroom.

They can keep it.

Ford73Diesel

I usually don't wear or like sunglasses. Most sunglasses give me a headache. I bought the 5 Squared polarized through USSI and love them. No headaches, makes working out on the water less fatiguing. Once I left them in the car and someone sat on them. The piece just snapped back into place. I have never had a problem with them. I've had them for about a year.

a2capt

The prices via the discount made them an okay purchase, but other than that, forget it. The average price stuff breaks just the same when everyday life happens, and you don't feel as disgusted over it.

ElectricPenguin

Spaceman3750

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 13, 2012, 04:32:24 PM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on April 13, 2012, 04:31:17 PM
I just renewed mine this month.

And got approved?
yes. I held my cadet ID card up on the wall with my finger and took a picture with my camera.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on April 13, 2012, 06:04:25 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 13, 2012, 04:32:24 PM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on April 13, 2012, 04:31:17 PM
I just renewed mine this month.

And got approved?
yes. I held my cadet ID card up on the wall with my finger and took a picture with my camera.

Huh.  I wonder if its a matter of who you ask at USSI as to whether or not we're allowed.  That's a bit annoying to be honest.

ElectricPenguin

They denied me several times a year ago. Take different types of pictures.

Flying Pig

I have a friend who works for Oakely. Basically, in hard economic times companies cant do things or include people like they can when times are good.
I personally dont see why CAP was on it to begin with. Not to mention kids taking the same advantages as a 19yr old machine gunner on his way to A-Stan.  To take it a step farther, like what was mentioned above Oakelys are way over rated.   They are like buying a watch in a catalog because the ad says its worn by Navy SEALs.

AngelWings

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 15, 2012, 03:56:44 PM
I have a friend who works for Oakely. Basically, in hard economic times companies cant do things or include people like they can when times are good.
I personally dont see why CAP was on it to begin with. Not to mention kids taking the same advantages as a 19yr old machine gunner on his way to A-Stan.  To take it a step farther, like what was mentioned above Oakelys are way over rated.   They are like buying a watch in a catalog because the ad says its worn by Navy SEALs.
I wear Oakleys and I love them. They are comfortable, stylish, well made, durable, and the lenses are of very high quality (until you slide them against the ground accidently like I did, which scratched the lense pretty badly). I bought them because they are in style (yes, I like to wear stylish things) and because of great reviews from friends, some of which were in the military. Buying them is like buying a Ford F-350 without ever having anything to put in the back: you buy it because you like the brand name, they look cool, and will last you a long time. My philosophy is that sometimes in life you should sometimes buy yourself something nice and not worry about things, as long as you can afford it.

N Harmon

The SI boots were a great deal with the discount. Without it though, there is just as good, if not better boots for the higher price.

I could not care less about discounts for stylish sunglasses. I think that a 19yr old machine gunner, or 20 year old EMT spending that much on sunglasses (even with the discount) is insane. But whatever, it's their money.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron