Main Menu

CAP and H1s

Started by usafcap1, April 07, 2012, 04:07:34 AM

usafcap1

i have forgotten how to do polls so just go with it. :(

Do you think CAP should have H1 Hummers Wagons instead of vans?

Yes!
No.
or Both
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Major Carrales

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 07, 2012, 04:07:34 AM
i have forgotten how to do polls so just go with it. :(

Do you think CAP should have H1 Hummers Wagons instead of vans?

Yes!
No.
or Both

I think CAP might do well to have a few such vehicles for instances where SAR work goes into "the field"...however, the CAP VAN is the primary method to transport cadets en masse from place to place.  They are also no longer in production...last year was, if memory serves, 2006.  We can't sacrifice "function" for "cool."

So, the answer is NO.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

abdsp51

No not fuel efficient and hardly any cargo or passenger capacity.

Eclipse

No.

The are useless as transport vehicles - seat 4 max and anyone who has every ridden in one for more than an
hour knows that it is a toss-up which will cost more - fuel or the chiropractor.

Expensive for SAR.

Expensive for repairs.

No longer manufactured.

Jeeps or other similiar scale SUV's are much more appropriate for CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ford73Diesel

H1's are impractical for CAP use.

Full size vans like the econoline are great for CAP, although I think Ford is ending the production of Econoline vans this year IIRC. Quigely does offer 4wd conversions for full size vans and is something CAP should look into. They are factory approved modifications. I've driven them. You just have to remember the center of gravity is higher.

If the vans won't work, crew cab pickups would work fine.

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Home.aspx

isuhawkeye

chevrolet suburban offers 7 passenger capability with storage and more 4x4 than 99% of the missions need.  Much better option

Spaceman3750

I really like the Ford Expeditions we have running around in some places. Between those and the vans the vast majority of our missions should be covered, at least here in ILWG.

FlyTiger77

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 07, 2012, 05:12:19 AM
chevrolet suburban offers 7 8 passenger (driver + 7) capability with storage and more 4x4 than 99% of the missions need.  Much better option

FTFY.

H-1s are one of the vehicles specifically forbidden for CAP use/ownership for these reasons:

a. They are VERY expensive to buy and maintain.

b. They are totally impractical for CAP use for reasons stated above.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Nah man, you need an MRAP or a Stryker. You never know what we might run over or hit  >:D

In all reality, no, a hummer wouldn't be practical, or even cool. A Ford F-350 would be great, and for the cool factor, try to get away with less CAP stickers and maybe a new surround sound system  8) (I kid, I kid, with the surround sound system). Hummers are a pain to maintain, they don't have much space, and you can find MUCH better transports than it. I'll be the black sheep and say I absolutely hate vans because they are just useful for transports. I get why we have them, and that for most squadrons, they are practical (and mainly the only thing they can get in this economy), but I'd rather have a a few trucks and a minivan than just one van.

YMMV.

Walkman

I'd say YES...only if they were painted safety orange with huge bold lettering on the side "CIVIL AIR PATROL SEARCH AND RESCUE". Also, they need several flashing yellow strobes.  ;D

PHall

Quote from: Walkman on April 07, 2012, 03:41:05 PM
I'd say YES...only if they were painted safety orange with huge bold lettering on the side "CIVIL AIR PATROL SEARCH AND RESCUE". Also, they need several flashing yellow strobes.  ;D

The word "Civil" needs to be in ALL CAPS and made with blue LEDS that are constantly lit.

Wouldn't want to be confused with the "real" military. That would make us wannabes!!!

ZigZag911

Some sort of SUV would make more sense, better fuel efficiency and passenger capacity, similar capabilities to HMMV.

Woodsy

Here in FLWG, we have a handful of nice expeditions.  Of course, the nicest one is issued to the Wing Commander, another one to the CV, one has a DDR Wrap on it, and there's a few others elsewhere.  They can seat 8 so are decent for transport, as well as being ideal for back country SAR.  They have CAP and aircraft band radios and a light bar.  Something like this is way more practical for our use.  Though, I'd love to find a stockpile of good condition Bronco's out there somewhere!  :)

RiverAux

Vans are just fine.  Definitely no need for hummers.  No need to be anywhere with a CAP vehicle that you need 4wd or super high clearance anyway  Walk that extra quarter mile or so if needed. 

I would be interested in an examination of whether we could actually save money by eliminating the vans and most CAP ground vehicles and just paying gas costs for personal-owned vehicles.  The only real advantage the vans offer is having radios mounted in them for ES work.  This is not something I'm actively advocating without such evidence, but it seems worth considering. 

davidsinn

Quote from: RiverAux on April 07, 2012, 09:40:55 PM
No need to be anywhere with a CAP vehicle that you need 4wd or super high clearance anyway  Walk that extra quarter mile or so if needed. 

You don't live where it snows do you?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

Not so much now, but I have. 

EMT-83

Quote from: RiverAux on April 07, 2012, 09:40:55 PM
Vans are just fine.  Definitely no need for hummers.  No need to be anywhere with a CAP vehicle that you need 4wd or super high clearance anyway  Walk that extra quarter mile or so if needed. 

I would be interested in an examination of whether we could actually save money by eliminating the vans and most CAP ground vehicles and just paying gas costs for personal-owned vehicles.  The only real advantage the vans offer is having radios mounted in them for ES work.   This is not something I'm actively advocating without such evidence, but it seems worth considering.

Um, no. If you drive a POV on a mission, you are on the hook for any damage or personal liability. Without CAP coverage on a corporate vehicle, I'm not driving anywhere. My umbrella policy only goes do far.

davidsinn

Quote from: RiverAux on April 07, 2012, 10:05:18 PM

I need 4wd to get out of my freaking driveway some days. No joke. You get out of the city and the plows take the better part of a day to get everything. Having some 4wds scattered around an area up in these parts would be prudent.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RiverAux

Quote from: davidsinn on April 07, 2012, 10:17:20 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on April 07, 2012, 10:05:18 PM

I need 4wd to get out of my freaking driveway some days. No joke. You get out of the city and the plows take the better part of a day to get everything. Having some 4wds scattered around an area up in these parts would be prudent.
So, since CAP generally doesn't have 4wd you're saying that we've been totally unable to field ground teams on a regular basis due to snow problems?