SAMPLE Service Cap/Flight Cap insignia

Started by NAYBOR, February 04, 2007, 07:33:32 AM

NAYBOR

What do you all think of these possible Service Cap/Flight Cap insignias for CAP?

The "E Pluribus Unum" in the streamer of the beak of the eagle could be replaced with "Semper Vigalins", of course.  I just thought these would look more "officer-like" for CAP officers while remaining clearly distinctive.

Anyone like any of them (adaption 2, 3, or 4)?

[You have to be logged in to view the picture links]

Major Carrales

Quote from: NAYBOR on February 04, 2007, 07:33:32 AM
What do you all think of these possible Service Cap/Flight Cap insignias for CAP?

The "E Pluribus Unum" in the streamer of the beak of the eagle could be replaced with "Semper Vigalins", of course.  I just thought these would look more "officer-like" for CAP officers while remaining clearly distinctive.

Anyone like any of them (adaption 2, 3, or 4)?

Curious? ...I didn't know there was anything really wrong with the device we have now.  Ho hummm...why are you people always trying to get us all to have to buy more stuff?
;D
That being said, nice designs.  I would have to say I would like the ones with the "CAP" letters and the "tri-prop" in the shield.  These, however, are likely too close to the USAF ones to gain approval.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NAYBOR

Hi Major,

Yeah, I had a lot of time on my hands, and thought I'd play some.  Just throwing it out there, that's all.  Just proposals.

I, personally, don't like the "CAP chicken" we have now.  Thought I'd try my hand at designing something new.  Other Recognzed Cadet Organization (RCOs) officers have service cap devices very similar to the sponsoring armed forces officer devices.  I thought I'd try designing some options for CAP.

Major Carrales

Quote from: NAYBOR on February 04, 2007, 07:43:42 AM
Hi Major,

Yeah, I had a lot of time on my hands, and thought I'd play some.  Just throwing it out there, that's all.  Just proposals.

I, personally, don't like the "CAP chicken" we have now.  Thought I'd try my hand at designing something new.  Other Recognzed Cadet Organization (RCOs) officers have service cap devices very similar to the sponsoring armed forces officer devices.  I thought I'd try designing some options for CAP.

Yes, I have seen some ROTC service cap devices before that reflect the style of which you speak.  Good work, the transistions in the metals and rendering of the device are impressive.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NAYBOR

Thank you, sir.  I'm not a pro at all, but thought I'd try it out.

AlphaSigOU

Nice idea but... why fix something that ain't broke?

There is a particular symbolism to the CAP senior cap device: the 13-star device over the eagle's head is replaced by the CAP circular prop and triangle emblem, and both talons clutch an olive branch, signifying our non-combat mission. And the scroll reads 'SEMPER VIGILANS' instead of 'E PLURIBUS UNUM'.

What about replacing the US shield with a shield shaped like the CAP MAJCOM emblem? Nix the CAP cutout above the eagle's head.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

arajca

You know, in all our varied uniform modification discussions, the flight/service cap devices were never mentioned.

I wonder if it could be because msot of us felt is wasn't needing an overhaul.

MIKE

Man, if I was awake at 0233 I would be $5 richer today.  :(
Mike Johnston

arajca

Quote from: MIKE on February 04, 2007, 03:21:49 PM
Man, if I was awake at 0233 I would be $5 richer today.  :(
Ya snooze, Ya loose. ;D

Robert Hartigan

Okay think this through. You want to include the word CAP on a hat device.

For those that know nothing about CAP they will think that we are idiots because the Air Force had to make us wear a badge on our cap with the word CAP on it so we would know what it is.

I had friends in high school that thought the CAP on the epaulets were there to indicate where I was supposed to put my hat when not wearing it. They were not being funny, they just thought the military was so regimented and nomenclature crazy that everything was labled.

Lose the CAP everywhere except the lapel ont he service coat. I thnk we should lose the CAP on the gray epaulets too! Grey is distinctive enough. I understand it on the old blue ones but, come on... they are grey now!

If you want to update the current hat device make it more like the Eagle pictured instead of the "fat chicken" it is now. Olive branches, no arrows. Replace the shield with the prop triangle and circle emblem. Lose the cutout we know it is a hat.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

mikeylikey

WE already wear the "US" cutouts, why not the federal hat device.  Sure would be cheaper and we could pick one up at any MCSS. 
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 04, 2007, 04:34:11 PM
WE already wear the "US" cutouts, why not the federal hat device.  Sure would be cheaper and we could pick one up at any MCSS. 

I don't see any real need to change the insignia, but what mikeylikey puts out here is a very compelling argument. Be a lot easier to just get one at the uniform store. Although we would have to do something for our flight caps, we won't be wearing rank insignia on those anytime soon.

Out of curiousity to the Coastie Auxies I know are out there: What does the Coast Guard Auxiliary wear as a hat device? Is it the same device the Coast Guard themselves wear? That could be a precedence if they do.

MIKE

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 04, 2007, 08:55:46 PM
Out of curiousity to the Coastie Auxies I know are out there: What does the Coast Guard Auxiliary wear as a hat device? Is it the same device the Coast Guard themselves wear? That could be a precedence if they do.

It's a distinctive device, just like CAP.
Mike Johnston

NIN

Since the AF doesn't wear a device on their flight cap, its kind of a moot point to come up with something that is "like our parent service."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JohnKachenmeister

I went to the pictures with an attitude of "Oh, no... not another uniform idea!" but I actually like those designs.  The last one is my favorite, I suppose.

Put it down as Number 109 on my "To do" list for when I'm National Commander.

Also the shield design with the triange-prop device is a good start for the center symbol of the new pilot wing I'm going to create.  (See items 107 and 108 on the aforementioned list)!
Another former CAP officer

Guardrail

Number one is my favorite.  I like how it is distinctive, and modeled after the one the AF wears.  Looks way better than the one we currently wear.

I don't think the AF would likely approve the third one... it looks too much like the one being worn by AF and Army personnel today (at least from a distance).

BTW, doesn't the American Cadet Alliance have a hat device just like number one and two except that is says "ACA" instead of "CAP"? 

DNall

The designs aren't terrible, but I'd echo the why? What we have isn't terrible either.

When's the last time you saw someone wearing a service cap & not looking silly by the way? If anything, eliminate teh service cap for other than color/honor guard wear, and make a device to be worn by enlsited cadets in that role. The winged-star w/ CAP device over it comes to mind. Or figure out a way to cut the wreath off the cadet officer device.

arajca

Quote from: DNall on February 05, 2007, 11:59:36 AMOr figure out a way to cut the wreath off the cadet officer device.

Dr. Dremel? :D

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: DNall on February 05, 2007, 11:59:36 AM
The designs aren't terrible, but I'd echo the why? What we have isn't terrible either.

When's the last time you saw someone wearing a service cap & not looking silly by the way? If anything, eliminate teh service cap for other than color/honor guard wear, and make a device to be worn by enlsited cadets in that role. The winged-star w/ CAP device over it comes to mind. Or figure out a way to cut the wreath off the cadet officer device.

Gee, thanks Dennis.  I didn't know you thought I looked silly.

I wear the service cap when I wear the jacket.  Except when I'm TDY, because the service cap is too hard to pack.

I follow the Army rule on use of the service cap.  Pretty much out of force of habit, but also it works.

Changing the service cap insignia is not a high priority.  We've had the current one for a dog's age.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

I agree the service cap is/ have gone the way of the dodo.  That style of headgear is leaving the military.  If you took a poll, I bet that most would prefer the flight cap over the service cap.
What's up monkeys?