How to earn retirement points? (Not CAP-RAP)

Started by CJB, March 27, 2012, 08:18:47 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: CJB on March 30, 2012, 08:58:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 30, 2012, 06:55:00 PM
Quote from: CJB on March 30, 2012, 06:25:48 PMSo, why is it so impossible for me to do CAP-RAP there and keep my flying CAP membership with Delaware?

Well, your membership isn't with the DEWG, it's with CAP on a national level.

Which is why I don't understand why flying is confined to Wings.

I wasn't going to derail this by asking, but the fact is, it's not.

If you're a Form5 / 91 pilot, you're allowed to use any aircraft in the fleet.  A form 5 is a form 5.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: CJB on March 30, 2012, 08:58:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 30, 2012, 06:55:00 PM
Quote from: CJB on March 30, 2012, 06:25:48 PMSo, why is it so impossible for me to do CAP-RAP there and keep my flying CAP membership with Delaware?

Well, your membership isn't with the DEWG, it's with CAP on a national level.

Which is why I don't understand why flying is confined to Wings.

In ILWG we have a supplement authorizing any FRO to release flights to several neighboring states. So your experience is not universal.

sarmed1

I am currently a Cat A reservist with CAP-RAP as an additional duty and was also told I had to drop to patron status; again avoiding a conflict of interest: CAP-RAP is really about oversight, how can you be oversight if you are part of the group being overseen?  However I was able to convince my unit(s) prior to the CAP-RAP official assignment to support my CAP habit with either reschedules, mandays, AT or points only performance.  The gentlemens agreement was usually two fold a- there had to be some sort of appropriate tie in; ie medical support (provider...being I am a 4NO) teaching in my area of expertice...ie medical or proffesional military NCO sort of stuff.  b-I had to be allowed to do some sort of military recruiting sort of pitch. 
I had pretty much the same reasons as yourself; I wasnt ready to or able to give up the other advantage of my home squadron membership; basically supporting/running ES type operations and training.  Life & work changes since then have made a pure CAP-RAP association much more appropriate to my life and the time I am/was able to devote to CAP.

If you can convince your unit to support you without making the switch to CAP-RAP I say go ahead, I think personally the organization benefits more from these type of arragements.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

coudano

i wonder if some sort of (nonfunded) permissive tdy thing would work...
hrm

sarmed1

On the AD side the PTDY is ok if your commander approves it (it is or at least was in the AFI).  On the reserve component side the 40a marked for points only is the best equivilent.  The concern (with both but more on the reserve side) is insurance for should a LODD type of injury occur.  AD side your on the Tricare bill 24-7, the Reserve side not so much.... commanders may be a little more hesitant to sign off on the chance of you being on the government pay and medical bill side for an injury incurred for an activity they said ok to that they really didnt understand the why you need to be there part (ie if there is this CAP-USAF thing why arent they signing orders or paying for you.....).  Remember that even though you may be there for points only, if you get hurt they may be putting you on pay status for the remainder of your healing and rehab time (ie like workmans comp)

My experience has been a good briefing to the commander and the first shirt (especially in the enlisted realm) explaining the relevant AFI's and the benefits to the unit/wing/AF etc etc goes a long way in making them feel they are ok in signing off on your 40a.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel