What to bring on an encampment?

Started by KERALA, March 19, 2012, 07:09:07 PM

Spartan

Quote from: ol'fido on March 19, 2012, 11:29:42 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 19, 2012, 08:32:31 PM
Don't bring extra anything.

You will likely be inspected on your locker or rack, and part of the inspection is following simple instructions.

I agree except for one thing...bring some extra pairs of underwear. Please don't be the cadet whose luggage I checked a few years ago that only had one pair of underwear in his bags. I "hope" he was wearing a pair. Two pair of underwear is not cool for a week long summer encampment.  :P

I have seen cadets like that.  It makes me want to have a long sit down kind of chat with their squadron commander and their parents.  Hopefully the person who wrote the packing list will have enough foresight to place an appropriate number of required items to the tune of "Underwear, appropriate 7-10 pair"  Even then, some people don't think the packing list applies to them and that it is a polite suggestion.  Please don't be one of those people.

Sapper168

From what i experienced as a TAC officer at encampment i don't think cadets bringing extra stuff is a problem, its the more common problem of cadets not bringing enough of what is on the packing lists.  Two pairs of socks, one set of bdu's and two pairs of underwear for a week or more isnt as uncommon as you would think. :o
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 08:57:17 PM
Then why do I have so much less respect for him now that he's said that.

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2012, 08:35:22 PM
The four core values of CAP are respect, integrity, volunteerism and excellence. 

It's not a huge deal...but I think everyone would be happier with CAP if these are practiced more not just up and down the COC, but between each other.

It's something I've learned is true in life too.

That didn't take long at all!

bflynn

Quote from: JThemann on March 19, 2012, 09:59:52 PM
Congratulations, that's very impressive. So since you have apparently no idea what you're talking about in regards to this topic, why don't you let the guys who do put their two cents in?

Actually, I do have an idea what I'm talking about.  Encampment is a slimed down version of boot camp with similar techniques and purposes.

How about I say what I want to say when I want to say it?

Additionally, Encampment varies from state to state.  It's different everywhere.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bflynn on March 20, 2012, 01:08:20 AM
Actually, I do have an idea what I'm talking about.  Encampment is a slimed down version of boot camp with similar techniques and purposes.

And I HOPE you don't end up a TAC anytime soon right off the bat!

How about I say what I want to say when I want to say it?

It's a free internet. But don't complain when you get called out on it.

Additionally, Encampment varies from state to state.  It's different everywhere.

That is true! But we have this thing...CAPR52-16...

davidsinn

By saying this:
Encampment is a slimed down version of boot camp with similar techniques and purposes.

You proved that this:
Actually, I do have an idea what I'm talking about.

Is wrong.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

bflynn

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 20, 2012, 01:15:08 AM

And I HOPE you don't end up a TAC anytime soon right off the bat!

LOL - unlikely.  I'd have to volunteer for that and it isn't why I joined CAP.

I'm a little amused that you all are putting so much stress on compliance with military discipline, of packing exactly what the list says, nothing more and nothing less...and then wonder why nobody wants to play with you.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bflynn on March 20, 2012, 01:30:01 AM

Why ARE you here then? Besides CAPTalk trolling? If you have no interest in Encampments, nor any experience, why even open the topic? Insert foot in mouth?

I'm a little amused that you all are putting so much stress on compliance with military discipline, of packing exactly what the list says, nothing more and nothing less...and then wonder why nobody wants to play with you.

Nobody? You mean nobody actually shows up to encampment? Because I've seen cadets with silver attachments on their encampment ribbons...something must be keeping them there.

bflynn

Quote from: davidsinn on March 20, 2012, 01:28:27 AM

You proved that this:

Is wrong.

Yeah?  Have you been to boot camp in the real military yet?  Because I have talked with a few people about encampment, read about it and watched a couple of videos.  No, I don't know what it is exactly, I really have no interest in learning more.  I'm not against it, I actually think it's a fair program if done right.

What I roll my eyes at are people who think that packing extra socks because you might need them is a breach of discipline and ought to cause trouble for a cadet at encampment.  It's kind of a recruiting poster for what I see is wrong with the cadet program and what bleeds over to the senior program.

But what do I care, I don't have to deal with you guys.  CAP is a past time for me, I'll wear the golf shirt and wear the gray pants and try to get out of it what I can.

If anyone wants to call me out for it, please us PM and don't go bugging everyone else here.

bflynn

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 20, 2012, 01:35:53 AM
Why ARE you here then?

Well, with this thread, it was a suggestion to take some extra socks because I've always needed more socks than I had.

The rest of it has just been everyone busting on my on why I don't understand that taking extra socks is a huge breech of discipline.

Relax guys. 

davidsinn

Quote from: bflynn on March 20, 2012, 01:39:35 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on March 20, 2012, 01:28:27 AM

You proved that this:

Is wrong.

Because I have talked with a few people about encampment, read about it and watched a couple of videos.  No, I don't know what it is exactly, I really have no interest in learning more.

So you've never been, don't know exactly what it is, get all your info third hand, but feel qualified to opine on it? Are you for real?

I have not been to boot camp, but I have been to encampment and it is stressed all the time that encampment is not and should not be "like boot camp."
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bflynn on March 20, 2012, 01:42:06 AM
Why ARE you here then?

Well, with this thread, it was a suggestion to take some extra socks because I've always needed more socks than I had.

The rest of it has just been everyone busting on my on why I don't understand that taking extra socks is a huge breech of discipline.

Relax guys.

Nobody said it was a huge anything. But the point stands: cadets are expected to bring what is on the list and ONLY what is on the list.

Redbull under the bunk with some Doritos? Nope, just a Canteen/camelbak if allowed.
Gameboy and your whole game collection? Nope, just the OI which will be issued to you.
A pair of socks for XXXX days? Means a pair of socks for XXXX days.  Not YYY days, not ZZZZZ days. Just XXXX days.

No one is going to wall to wall a cadet for a small breach like an extra pair of socks, but there is no need to tell a cadet to bring MORE than specified. For all you and I know, the list specifies TEN pairs for a SIX/SEVEN day activity. Why would the cadet need more then?

bflynn

PMs please, unless you're just interested in hearing yourself talk.

Extremepredjudice

Why ARE you here then? Besides CAPTalk trolling? If you have no interest in Encampments, nor any experience, why even open the topic? Insert foot in mouth?

Nobody? You mean nobody actually shows up to encampment? Because I've seen cadets with silver attachments on their encampment ribbons...something must be keeping them there.
Sir, cadets are like magpies. They'll do anything for something shiny.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bflynn on March 20, 2012, 01:53:48 AM
PMs please, unless you're just interested in hearing yourself talk.

I'm interested in getting cadets information that isn't contradictory.

I'm done with this discussion as it pertains to you. I believe the cadet has the answer much higher in the topic. If KERALA has anymore, the cadet can ask them freely.

titanII

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 20, 2012, 01:54:07 AM
[Sir, cadets are like magpies. They'll do anything for something shiny.
You speak of cadets as if you weren't one  >:D

(unless of course I have my information wrong, and you aren't a cadet, in which case I'm very sorry, Sir!  :D)
No longer active on CAP talk

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: titanII on March 20, 2012, 02:16:09 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 20, 2012, 01:54:07 AM
[Sir, cadets are like magpies. They'll do anything for something shiny.
You speak of cadets as if you weren't one  >:D

(unless of course I have my information wrong, and you aren't a cadet, in which case I'm very sorry, Sir!  :D)
Yeah, I am a cadet. I was distracted because I was adding ribbons to my rack. >:D >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Cap'n

I was reading previous posts-curious because I myself will be attending as a basic this June- and saw someone had mentioned bringing an extra set of BDU's...Do we need to acquire extra BDU's and Blues uniforms to attend? Or from your experience do they generally have that on the packing list/are suggested to bring?
Thank you in advance.

-Pomegranate

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Pomegranate on March 20, 2012, 04:12:11 AM
I was reading previous posts-curious because I myself will be attending as a basic this June- and saw someone had mentioned bringing an extra set of BDU's...Do we need to acquire extra BDU's and Blues uniforms to attend? Or from your experience do they generally have that on the packing list/are suggested to bring?
Thank you in advance.

-Pomegranate

It depends on the specific activity. SOME encampments have access to laundry rooms, so you can be in PT gear while your BDUs go through the cycle.

Others suggest 2-3 sets of BDUs.

Others say just BDUs, and you come with just your ONE set (and it's manageable, but again, depends on climate, location, etc).

If you HAVE an extra set, and it's a week long event, I'd side with bringing it. But if the list from the specific activity specifies 1 set, chances are they have laundry access.

Eclipse

^ Yep.

Teaching cadets laundry or other seemingly basic hygiene "stuff" might be part of the plan.

Depending on where the activity is hosted, there may be very limited storage for personal items, with no option for "extra".  This is especially true for
activities that take place where they do BMT.  Further to that, there is usually a structured configuration for your "stuff", which will be inspected, and
you might lose points for the "extra".

"That Others May Zoom"