Main Menu

24 hour pack

Started by CivilAirPatrol123, February 25, 2012, 11:49:37 PM

CivilAirPatrol123

I was wondering if I could have a list of everything I need for a 24 hour pack. Also, what would you recommend for a good gear bag?

Chief2009

I pulled these lists from the GTM Task guide. The link below is to a google doc that has UDF, 24hr and 72hr packs.

http://goo.gl/0naW7
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

lordmonar

Your 24 our gear list is in the Ground Team Task Guid.  Down load it from the ES section of the CAP website.

For the pack....well....I would go with a simple back pack like the one you use for school.  No need to go big money until you know how you want to pack and how deep you want to go into Ground Teams.

Also...suggest you get with 4-5 of your squadron mates and split the costs of the items.

Getting Latex gloves at $10 for 100 is expensive....so you can spit that down to $2 each and take your 20 and you will have plenty for quite a while.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Nor'easter

Helpful hints:

-Ask at the local level first.

-Use the CAP resources published online, in this case Ground & Urban Direction Finding Team Task Guide.

-Utilize the search button.

Welcome to CAPtalk!
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

ol'fido

After watching a group of cadets go through a gear check yesterday, I have a couple of more helpful hints:

-Don't buy "combination" tools just to have a "check off". For instance, one cadet had a "combination" flashlight, pocket knife, compass, and whistle. I think there might also have been a flare gun, life raft, and UH-1N Twin Huey but I didn't get to examine it that closely. Generally, these "combination" tools are poor low quality clearance aisle or check out lane junk that because of the compromises needed to put that many tools on one device don't do any one job very well or very long until they break.

-With knives or multi-tools especially don't buy "off brand" stuff just to have a knife that looks "cool". Buy a good product from Gerber, Buck, SOG, or Cold Steel.

It would be nice if CAP didn't require an extensive list of "required" items just to start training for GT because the best way to "gear up" is to get out into the field and see what works and what doesn't.

-Find someone that you know is "field savvy" and ask them for help in choosing simple, good quality gear. Stay away from the "gear geeks" though.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Cdt Buckmaster

Go to the CAP knowledgebase and tipe in 72 hour pack, they have a compleat list.
C/SMSgt  Samuel Buckmaster,   NCR-NE-004, Cadet deputy Commander

Cdt Buckmaster

I am a knife maker by hobby I know what I am talking about.  If you want a good knife go to (knifekits.com) and buy a kit to make one.  They have some on there that are very good.  I got the Ranger Classic and it is great, I droped it on concreat and it hardly knicked the blade.  If your going to buy a knife buy a Cold Steel, SOG, Benchmade or a Kershaw.  They will last longer and be more satisfing than a Buck or other brands.

lordmonar

Quote from: Cdt Buckmaster on February 26, 2012, 03:25:22 PM
I am a knife maker by hobby I know what I am talking about.  If you want a good knife go to (knifekits.com) and buy a kit to make one.  They have some on there that are very good.  I got the Ranger Classic and it is great, I droped it on concreat and it hardly knicked the blade.  If your going to buy a knife buy a Cold Steel, SOG, Benchmade or a Kershaw.  They will last longer and be more satisfing than a Buck or other brands.
No.
Sorry....I will buy that you know what you are talking about....but let's not be sending new GT members out spending $200 on a knife.
They need to

buy a Cheap Buck, Leatherman, Gerber, or some other name brand from Walmart.

A.  They are known good knives and won't break first use.
B.  They are cheap so that you can afford to loose it or break it and not be out an arm and a leg!
C.  If they decided not to stay in GT in a big way...they still have a nice knife for general use.

Once you have been in the GT business for a while and you know how much money you want to spend....then you can go an look at high end stuff.....where you will find that the Benchmade is a very nice brand.  ;)

Cdt Buckmaster

davidsinn

Quote from: Cdt Buckmaster on February 28, 2012, 03:34:44 PM
The kit is $40.00.

I can buy a very nice Gerber that "Just works"TM for about $25. There is no need to spend inordinate amounts of money on such a minor piece of kit.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on February 28, 2012, 04:10:02 PM
Quote from: Cdt Buckmaster on February 28, 2012, 03:34:44 PM
The kit is $40.00.

I can buy a very nice Gerber that "Just works"TM for about $25. There is no need to spend inordinate amounts of money on such a minor piece of kit.
Not to mention the hours it takes to put the kit together.