Washing a BDU Cap

Started by CAP4117, January 09, 2012, 07:47:31 PM

titanII

Quote from: SarDragon on January 10, 2012, 07:59:23 AM
Quote from: titanII on January 09, 2012, 10:44:33 PM
Just like most everyone else said, wash it in the washing machine as you would your BDU pants or blouse. Except don't put it in the dryer. I usually stretch mine over the right size paint can, spray it with starch, and let it dry.

I've heard that soaking it a couple times after washing, and letting it air dry will help sustain the cover's waterproof properties. I've never actually experienced that, so YMMV.

Sustain implies that a condition already exists.   ;)
true, true  ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

lordmonar

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 10, 2012, 12:42:27 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on January 10, 2012, 12:15:35 AM
As I recall, the hat has washing instructions printed on the label?

You read those?
WOW
I am impressed to have met a guy who actually reads a garmet care instruction label- We are a DIVERSE organization after all 8)

1. If cap is worn under helmet, helmet head band my require readjustment for proper fit and comfort.
2. Machine Wash.  Use permanent press cyscle.  Wash in warm water with mild detergent.
3.  Hand Wasg,  Hand wash in warm water using mild detergent. DO NOT WRONG OR TWIST.  Rinse in clean warm water.
4. DO NOT USE CHLORINE BLEAACH OR STARCH.
5. Dry at low heat (Do not exceed 130 (ded) F).

Please note number 4!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Sapper168

During 4 years active army and the cover i wore in garrison was always had some starch on it, as well as the BDU's.  ::) Now field uniforms were a different story.  8)
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on January 10, 2012, 09:56:15 PM
During 4 years active army and the cover i wore in garrison was always had some starch on it, as well as the BDU's.  ::) Now field uniforms were a different story.  8)

20 years ago in garrison setting the use of Starch was specifically prohibited on the salad suit (due to being even more visible to IR equip or something as I recall) and it's use was minimal and I was an MP..... that reg of course we ignored on gate duty or patrol);  but on every base I was on I didnt see a lot of starch used MP's were about the only ones.

wacapgh

We were threatened with Article 15's if we used starch or even ironed them!

As always, the REMF's and Garritroopers gave us the "Starched like the OD greens" look along with cutting off the buttons and sewing the pockets flat.

rustyjeeper

Quote from: wacapgh on January 11, 2012, 08:56:13 PM

As always, the REMF's and Garritroopers gave us the "Starched like the OD greens" look along with cutting off the buttons and sewing the pockets flat.

Now that you mention that I do remember in Boot and in  AIT hearing that threat. I had forgotten though because just about everything was a threatened Article 15-- after a while in one ear and out the other LOL

ol'fido

My unit in the 25th ID(B Co., 4th Bn., 27th Inf. "Wolfhounds, by God!) it was "spits and starches" every day in garrison. Never on the hat though.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

wacapgh

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 11, 2012, 09:47:44 PM
Quote from: wacapgh on January 11, 2012, 08:56:13 PM

Now that you mention that I do remember in Boot and in  AIT hearing that threat. I had forgotten though because just about everything was a threatened Article 15-- after a while in one ear and out the other LOL

Summer of 82', Ft. Benning B-3-1. BDU's were so new, I was issued an OD field jacket as the woodland's weren't in supply.

rustyjeeper

For me '91 Fort McClellan Al
D Co. 795 Mp Bn was where I did my training and I spent a around a year on that base before going to the NG. I was fortunate to get the woodland field jacket  :) By then supply had caught up to demand.
And best part is I still have the field jacket and it is still used today by a cadet....... if we ever go to  ABU's I will need to buy my kid a parka or field jacket :(.... keeping all my old army gear was a good move saved me a ton of money. Too bad all the stuff shrunk so I could not use it myself and I had to go buy a set of blue bdus's for myself :-X

a2capt

This reminds me of this solo skit..

http://q-audio.net/download/1AJR

(Should play a file)

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret