CAP Pilot makes emrgency landing off-field

Started by disamuel, January 04, 2012, 12:48:38 PM

NIN

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 05, 2012, 02:08:58 AM
yeah you need to be proficient at it, but night flying is more dangerous. Does CAP allow people to do proficiency flying at night?

A) Night flying is really no more "dangerous" than, say, instrument flying. And people do instrument flying all the time and nobody goes "whoa, thats dangerous. why would you do that?"

B) Night VFR flying in the right weather is quite fun and fairly safe.  Obviously, if the fan up front stops working over the inky blankness, it won't be so easy to pick out the "best field" in the dark.

C) The only instrument approach I've ever flown was at night.

D) I have more time in a CAP plane at night than I do during the day, I think....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

If I didn't fly at night for CAP, about 1/3rd of the couple hundred hours I racked up would not be in my logbook.

Open mouth. Insert propeller.

CAP_Marine

a2capt

I figured nearly as much, and things like transport flights are efficient at night because that puts the asset on site for use at first light. :)

...in a mission scenario, or efficient scheduling of downtime due to getting it to centralized MX and back quickly, etc.

DBlair

A reportedly brand new pilot, the 22 year old from TX made an emergency landing after losing power in a CAP Cessna.

Video: Good Morning America
http://gma.yahoo.com/video/news-26797925/young-pilot-makes-emergency-landing-in-street-27790133.html
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

MIKE

Mike Johnston

starshippe

excellent job of keeping control of the situation and maintaining control of the aircraft.
   perhaps she can be asked to come here to cap talk and give us a first hand description of the experience?

thanks,
bill

DBlair

Quote from: MIKE on January 05, 2012, 06:32:24 PM
Merged.

Thanks for the merge, I didn't see the other thread until after posting.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

CAP_Marine

Quote from: starshippe on January 05, 2012, 06:57:06 PM
   excellent job of keeping control of the situation and maintaining control of the aircraft.
   perhaps she can be asked to come here to cap talk and give us a first hand description of the experience?

I will ask her next week when I see her at our meeting. She just might.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on January 05, 2012, 05:08:27 PM
I figured nearly as much, and things like transport flights are efficient at night because that puts the asset on site for use at first light. :)

...in a mission scenario, or efficient scheduling of downtime due to getting it to centralized MX and back quickly, etc.

Wanna bet it was an A9 flight and she got the honors because she's a low hour pilot and needs the time?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Sky_Can

Awsome pilot. Unless it was her fault, then she just bought a broken aircraft.

davidsinn

Quote from: Sky_Can on January 10, 2012, 01:31:19 AM

That makes no sense.

Everything I've heard says engine failure. The only speculation I've heard was on the specific cause of the engine failure but in the event of loss of power that's not her fault and she has no liability.

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FW

^ +1.  from what I heard, NTSB preliminary report was a blown engine rod.  Stuff happens.  She performed admirably.  Time to move on.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: davidsinn on January 10, 2012, 03:10:44 AM

That makes no sense.

Everything I've heard says engine failure. The only speculation I've heard was on the specific cause of the engine failure but in the event of loss of power that's not her fault and she has no liability.
And if someone is dumb enough to hang some kind of assessment on her, post it here, I'm sure I'd contribute to covering it for her...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on January 10, 2012, 06:10:15 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on January 10, 2012, 03:10:44 AM

That makes no sense.

And if someone is dumb enough to hang some kind of assessment on her, post it here, I'm sure I'd contribute to covering it for her...

If the engine threw a rod there's absolutely nothing she could have done except put the plane on the ground, which she apparently did very well. Nothing to assess there IMHO.

That said, the engine is likely toast - I wonder if they'll pay the $30k+ (? I'm not a pilot but I'm guessing a new Lycoming is $20-30k?) to replace it or if they'll scrap it out.

Brad

Quote from: Eclipse on January 10, 2012, 06:08:17 PM
This video has some more recent daylight photos of the damage:  http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=8490515

Thanks for the vid! Although every time they said "Civilian Air Patrol" I wanted to bang my head against the desk. Not bringing up volunteer vs civilian vs military or anything like that....just get the name right.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

simon

QuoteNight flying is really no more "dangerous" than, say, instrument flying.

Er, well, I'd add that night flying under VMC can be more dangerous than under IFR amongst terrain or at close to the ground (Think antennas). Those two highly experienced CAP pilots who drilled the CAP plane into a mountain a couple of years ago in California would agree.

Perhaps a better question on your point is "Would you rather lose an engine at night or in IMC?" Both would be awful, but if you break out a thousand feet AGL during the day, I'd probably take that over a night engine failure. Who knows. Either way it would be a gut wrenching experience. The recently plated pilot did a great job.

denverpilot

Met her by chance at one of the CAP displays at Oshkosh.

She was looking to see if she could get a copy of Volunteer because hers hadn't arrived before she left for Wisconsin. She wanted to see her article in print.

She was about to go give a safety seminar on her experience in the FAA forum building. Unfortunately I couldn't attend.