BDU's Another 4 Years?

Started by RADIOMAN015, December 21, 2011, 02:45:49 PM

RADIOMAN015

At a recent squadron meeting, our commander discussed items presented at a recent wing commanders call.   Apparently the USAF in its' switch to new ACU type uniforms has close to 100K of BDU? uniforms left in stock that they offered to CAP.   Every unit could put in an order via their chain of command.
RM   

The CyBorg is destroyed

That should satisfy supplies for a while, at least.

The question is: are they still to be considered a "USAF uniform" or can they now be classed as "CAP-distinctive?"

My squadron meets on an ANG installation, and I can't tell you the last time I saw one of them wearing BDU's...a couple of years, anyway.

I don't think any branch of the Armed Forces wear them anymore except for some special tactics units of the Coast Guard.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SARDOC

Quote from: CyBorg on December 21, 2011, 03:32:35 PM
I don't think any branch of the Armed Forces wear them anymore except for some special tactics units of the Coast Guard.

There are still a few Navy Expeditionary units still wearing it, they are still phasing in the new Expeditionary pattern.

PHall

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 21, 2011, 02:45:49 PM
At a recent squadron meeting, our commander discussed items presented at a recent wing commanders call.   Apparently the USAF in its' switch to new ACU type uniforms has close to 100K of BDU? uniforms left in stock that they offered to CAP.   Every unit could put in an order via their chain of command.
RM

Air Force doesn't wear the ACU (Army Combat Uniform), it now wears the ABU (Airman Battle Uniform).
Which is a totally seperate uniform.

And just where have those 100,000 BDU's been hiding? AAFES sure didn't have them.

Methinks you were either scammed or you heard what you wanted to hear.

And why would the CIVIL Air Patrol need either of these uniforms? They're camoflage uniforms that CIVILIAN VOLUNTEERS don't need.
(Your words my friend, your words...)

EMT-83

Gotta go with RM on this one - we received a request form from Wing, and were instructed to specify what sizes we wanted.

The only question was who would pay for shipping.

AngelWings

And has with a lot of extra uniforms, they'll probably be picked up by allied nations and Afghanistan.

titanII

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 22, 2011, 01:42:43 AM
Gotta go with RM on this one - we received a request form from Wing, and were instructed to specify what sizes we wanted.
+1 At the last squadron meeting, we were asked for our BDU sizes...

Quote from: PHall on December 22, 2011, 01:33:06 AM
And just where have those 100,000 BDU's been hiding? AAFES sure didn't have them.
It was my understanding that the BDU's would be used- donated by airmen.
No longer active on CAP talk

PHall

Quote from: titanII on December 22, 2011, 02:06:37 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 22, 2011, 01:42:43 AM
+1 At the last squadron meeting, we were asked for our BDU sizes...

Quote from: PHall on December 22, 2011, 01:33:06 AM
It was my understanding that the BDU's would be used- donated by airmen.

What, did they raid the Airmans Attic or something? Sounds like these are DRMO uniforms. I wouldn't bet on getting too many "usuable" uniforms from there.

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

titanII

Quote from: PHall on December 22, 2011, 02:33:14 AM
I wouldn't bet on getting too many "usuable" uniforms from there.
I'd be willing to bet that the AF is checking the uniforms for quality before they "donate" them to CAP.

lordmonar

How does one go from "the USAF is giving CAP their surpluss BDU's" to we are going to keep the BDU's for 4 more years?

a) At current manning levels that is not even 2 uniforms per person.
b) Typicall those BDU's will be too large or too small for most of our members.
c) With the typical turn over we have....even if we limit the BDU's to new cadets...you are looking at about maybe 2 years worth of BDU's.
d) The need/desire to look like the USAF is still there.

We have been working this in NVWG for about a month now....and from what I understand the BDU's are new in the box.....so no major problems with quality....these are not used BDUs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: lordmonar on December 22, 2011, 03:17:39 AM
How does one go from "the USAF is giving CAP their surpluss BDU's" to we are going to keep the BDU's for 4 more years?

a) At current manning levels that is not even 2 uniforms per person.
b) Typicall those BDU's will be too large or too small for most of our members.
c) With the typical turn over we have....even if we limit the BDU's to new cadets...you are looking at about maybe 2 years worth of BDU's.
d) The need/desire to look like the USAF is still there.

We have been working this in NVWG for about a month now....and from what I understand the BDU's are new in the box.....so no major problems with quality....these are not used BDUs.
+1 hit the nail on the head.

titanII

Quote from: lordmonar on December 22, 2011, 03:17:39 AM
from what I understand the BDU's are new in the box.....so no major problems with quality....these are not used BDUs.
Oh, cool!

NCRblues

So, how do I get my grubby hands on some of these used/new/DRMO/boxed/donated ext ext uniforms?

Is there a magic 1-800- airforcegivemefreestuff number I can call or?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

RickFranz

Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

exFlight Officer

Quote from: cap235629 on December 22, 2011, 02:58:03 AM
we will take all we can get

:clap:

Quote from: NCRblues on December 22, 2011, 04:34:14 AM
So, how do I get my grubby hands on some of these used/new/DRMO/boxed/donated ext ext uniforms?

+1 !

lordmonar

Well in NVWG it came down from wing.

You put in a request form for how many cases......yes cases of uniforms you can handle and they are going to send them to us.

I would ping your wing leadership about it....like I said....we already have our request in....so it looks like a lot of wings may be behind the powere curve.......as usuall.

SAR-EMT1

I have never thought that we needed to move away from the BDU, it works well for us. But then, the old all-green fatigues worked well for us too. ( Though that was before my time) .. No reason for CAP to adopt something like the ABU, that doesn't serve any new purpose compared to the uniform we already have.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Private Investigator

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on December 22, 2011, 07:00:31 AM
But then, the old all-green fatigues worked well for us too.

I still have a set of the green fatigues and I still think they are awesome.

SarDragon

I still have a set, but "they shrank".   ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LC

So, does this translate to 1-800- nothappening?

NCRblues

Quote from: LC on December 22, 2011, 11:07:05 PM

Not a single person in my wing is aware of this and neither is NHQ...so it's either a wild goose chase, or it's a local thing.

Walkman

Quote from: SarDragon on December 22, 2011, 10:13:47 AM
I still have a set, but "they shrank".   ;)

I hate when that happens!  ;)

Al Sayre

Quote from: NCRblues on December 22, 2011, 11:20:55 PM

Not a single person in my wing is aware of this and neither is NHQ...so it's either a wild goose chase, or it's a local thing.

PM inbound
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: NCRblues on December 22, 2011, 11:20:55 PM

I don't know what to say to you.  The wing had all units (with the wing) put in an order to the wing.  That included the all weather BDU jackets with liner also.   Also as you see Nevada wing did the same thing.

A 4 year "transition" period was mentioned, but I don't recall any specific details on this other than it was mentioned with the BDU unit request.   (I personally don't pay very much attention to uniform news, since I didn't join CAP to look like a "wanna be" warrior, BUT IF we can get free uniforms, than I'm willing to bite my tongue a bit :angel:)   
RM   

NCRblues

Got it all figured out now... Little late, but all good. Seems the emails didn't reach some, but I have a copy and have forwarded it on to the wing king and CoS.

lordmonar