2 Great Droid/Iphone Apps for Ground Teams

Started by jpizzo127, December 06, 2011, 03:33:13 PM

jpizzo127

I've been using these 2 programs on my Droid and found them to be an excellent resource in the field.

#1 MyTracks: This is an app that will record your hikes, using the phones GPS and overlay them on a satellite map of the area. Its great for after action reports because you can graphically show your GBD everywhere your team searched. It also has a readout that shows GPS coordinates, distance travelled, and all the data you could possible need. It does not, however, allow you to navigate to a specific GPS coordinates which is why I also use:

#2 Alpine Quest: This app is a little harder to use than MyTracks but will do many of the same things. The difference is AQ is more for the avid hiker. It has a built in compass, has the ability to navigate to a Lat/Long of your choosing, and will also overlay your route onto a map, either graphic or satellite. It has a record feature, but I dont know if its as good as the one in Mytracks.

In summary, both apps are good with strengths and weaknesses. They are both battery hogs, so I would only use them when needed, and I would carry a spare battery for the phone.

Best of all, If I recall they are both free apps!

(the above review was for the Droid version)
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

Eclipse

I've used MYTracks on my tablet in the aircraft to record flight tracks - even without a data connection, the
GPS still records your position, so it still works.

Quote from: jpizzo127 on December 06, 2011, 03:33:13 PMI would carry a spare battery for the phone.

Who would leave the house without a spare battery for their phone?

...heh

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2011, 03:36:34 PM
Quote from: jpizzo127 on December 06, 2011, 03:33:13 PMI would carry a spare battery for the phone.

...heh
Me. My battery door has the antenna built in so it's a major pain in the butt to take off. What I have instead is an external battery that plugs into the USB port and has built in photovoltaic cells to recharge itself if I get into a real pickle. The battery has 1.5 to 2 times the capacity of the phone so it'll keep me going for a while.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jpizzo127

Quote from: davidsinn on December 06, 2011, 05:59:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2011, 03:36:34 PM

...heh
Me. My battery door has the antenna built in so it's a major pain in the butt to take off. What I have instead is an external battery that plugs into the USB port and has built in photovoltaic cells to recharge itself if I get into a real pickle. The battery has 1.5 to 2 times the capacity of the phone so it'll keep me going for a while.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

Whats that called? I need to get one for my droid.
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

Eclipse

At least you have the option to swap the battery, PITA notwithstanding.

All smartphones do.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2011, 06:58:34 PM
All smartphones do.

Well, you could always buy a phone with a battery able to get you through the whole day. Then there's no need for the "three o'clock swap", so what's the point of the door? ;) >:D

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 06, 2011, 07:06:54 PM
All smartphones do.

Well, you could always buy a phone with a battery able to get you through the whole day. Then there's no need for the "three o'clock swap", so what's the point of the door? ;) >:D

Such a thing would not be an iphone, that's for sure.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

All smartphones do.

I ain't found one of those, yet, certainly not if you're actually using it.  Mine's fine on standby, but in heavy use drinks the juice just like
the rest (but not as much as the almighty juice sucker from those other guys).

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2011, 08:09:11 PM
All smartphones do.

I ain't found one of those, yet, certainly not if you're actually using it.  Mine's fine on standby, but in heavy use drinks the juice just like

So long as I charge it at night (I'm forgetful, what can I say) I don't typically have problems, though I don't use the phone functions much. I do get several emails a day from three different accounts.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 06, 2011, 08:10:37 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2011, 08:09:11 PM
All smartphones do.

So long as I charge it at night (I'm forgetful, what can I say) I don't typically have problems, though I don't use the phone functions much. I do get several emails a day from three different accounts.

You're not really using the thing then. I can drain my battery in a few hours if I'm using it hard. I can also drain the battery just by going in certain building because the signal is weak.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Mine has an issue where in heavy use it won't keep up with a charger, so like in the car, using MyTracks, it might still have a charge issue
when you get to your destination (see how I brought things back around)...

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

I just made the switch from Iphone to droid yesterday, and so far it seems like the battery life is much better.

Question:  Do our planes have a cigarette lighter type outlet where a car charger could be plugged in during flight?? 

I just downloaded the my tracks app and used it on a quick trip to the gas station.  Pretty cool!  I wonder if this could somehow be used for aerial photography tracks? 

Майор Хаткевич

At least you have the option to swap the battery, PITA notwithstanding.

All smartphones do.

I present to you, the Droid RAZR

Guess it's not a smartphone, eh?

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 06, 2011, 10:06:36 PM

Any phone, of any OS, that does not have a swap-able battery, is not smart.

However, for the adventurous the Razor battery is user-replaceable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2011, 10:11:37 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 06, 2011, 10:06:36 PM

Any phone, of any OS, that does not have a swap-able battery, is not smart.

However, for the adventurous the Razor battery is user-replaceable.

So is the iPhone one, in a technically similar fashion. I've done a number of swaps, all PITAs.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on December 06, 2011, 10:15:38 PM
So is the iPhone one, in a technically similar fashion. I've done a number of swaps, all PITAs.

But that will void the warranty, not so on the Razor.
But as I said, unless it's got an easily swap-able battery, it's not a very "smart" phone.  All these external
packs and power cases defeat the whole purpose of the engineering that went into the iPhone, and
the design is really it's only compelling feature.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Woodsy on December 06, 2011, 09:12:49 PM
I just made the switch from Iphone to droid yesterday, and so far it seems like the battery life is much better.

Question:  Do our planes have a cigarette lighter type outlet where a car charger could be plugged in during flight?? 

Only rode in a Cessna once but I think they do. I know the Airvan does.

I just downloaded the my tracks app and used it on a quick trip to the gas station.  Pretty cool!  I wonder if this could somehow be used for aerial photography tracks?

Yes. I've done it in the Airvan while powering my phone off the power port. Granted that was a Winmo phone because I didn't have my Droid yet but the principle is the same.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

I'm still not sure why auto manufacturers insist on putting cigarette lighters in their vehicles, especially since the "smoking package" is now an accessory.  It seems that it would make more sense to put in the converter, and standard 12V, three-prong, outlets.  It sure would save on the amount of chargers, etc, people have to carry around.  Certainly, it would be a much better selling feature than "we've put in TWO cigarette lighters!" Fortunately, both of my vehicles have a USB port that I can plug into and charge my stuff.

However, my HTC Incredible 1 battery lasts all day with some pretty heavy use.  Today, I watched an entire movie on Netflix while waiting in the doctor's office, sent about 50 e-mails, browsed through the New York Times, used the GPS to get from point A and B, 40 minutes apart, updated my squadron's twitter, facebook, and webpages, talked on the phone for about 2 hours, and right now, I'm at 1/2 battery.

Anyway, I want to check these two apps out.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Cigarette lighters/power outlets -

In all the GMs I have owned, only one of the familiar outlets will actually power a lighter, the one closest to the Receiver, Ash. All the others are merely 12 V power receptacles. My 'Burb has 4 or 5 outlets, and the now lost lighter only worked in one.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Salty

I was just checking the iPhone app store and MyTracks has gotten hammered in the reviews.  Apparently the droid version is vastly superior to the iPhone version.  Guess I'm out of luck for now.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Salty on December 07, 2011, 12:24:55 AM
I was just checking the iPhone app store and MyTracks has gotten hammered in the reviews.  Apparently the droid version is vastly superior to the iPhone version.  Guess I'm out of luck for now.

As a Google Product, I'm not surprised...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill