TLC Course

Started by LC, October 15, 2011, 02:24:01 AM

LC

I recently took the TLC course. I'm just curious to see what others have thought of the course.

I enjoyed some of it and didn't.  It was almost like a refresher. Gave me some good ideas, also reminded me of certain things I can do to keep the cadets interested and involved.

Eclipse

Shares my feelings - I've done three now.

It is very dependent on having people willing to share, and a percentage with strong experience, but overall worth the time, regardless of how many times you've done it.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I had the opportunity to do some proofing of the original TLC materials, and direct one of the first 10 ever run.  Since then, I've made sure to instruct at least two TLCs each year.  Even as a Master Rated CPO, with nearly 15 of these under my belt, I still find new questions, new viewpoints, and struggling units that need to draw on experience. 

Even though I know what the subject matter is that is going to be covered in the course, I enjoy listening to the other instructors' experiences and how they relate the subject matter. 

In all honesty, even at the local level, I think that TLC is one of the most worthwhile courses that CAP has.  While some of it may be a refresher, especially if you have a seasoned member taking it for the first time, I find that the majority of students who take the course are really hearing and seeing the cadet program in its full breadth, and hearing about things that they would otherwise never have the opportunity to hear about. 

I make time in my schedule to instruct at these.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 15, 2011, 02:40:25 AM
I had the opportunity to do some proofing of the original TLC materials, and direct one of the first 10 ever run.  Since then, I've made sure to instruct at least two TLCs each year.  Even as a Master Rated CPO, with nearly 15 of these under my belt, I still find new questions, new viewpoints, and struggling units that need to draw on experience.

A huge part of TLC is mentoring the new guys.  Once you've BTDT, you can bring your experience back to the discussion.

"That Others May Zoom"

mmizner

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 15, 2011, 02:40:25 AM

In all honesty, even at the local level, I think that TLC is one of the most worthwhile courses that CAP has.  While some of it may be a refresher, especially if you have a seasoned member taking it for the first time, I find that the majority of students who take the course are really hearing and seeing the cadet program in its full breadth, and hearing about things that they would otherwise never have the opportunity to hear about. 

I couldn't agree more!  I wish other CPO's had the same mentality, CP would not have the issues it has in some areas.  Keep up with the TLC's, we need more people like you.
-Mike

www.nvwgcadets.org

SARDOC

See reading this thread has made me want to attend a TLC now.  My wife is gonna kill me when I give up another weekend  :)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SARDOC on October 19, 2011, 08:21:49 PM
See reading this thread has made me want to attend a TLC now.  My wife is gonna kill me when I give up another weekend  :)

If you get either of the following two conditions to occur in your TLC, it should be a great course.

1) Highly qualified instructors who are truly experts in their field.

2) Students with a lot of experience that can be shared, and have "a clue."

The great thing about TLC is that even with mediocre instructors, the students can still have great discussion and get a lot out of the course.  You should go, I think you'll have a great time.  If you're hesitant, take a look at the materials on capmembers.com/cadets
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill