Idea: CAP Marksmanship Ribbon

Started by Guardrail, January 14, 2007, 01:20:43 AM

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 26, 2007, 02:17:39 PM
Dennis,

Can't you see, its better for the Wings to do this at the Encampment or for Units to sponsor their own markmanship program through NRA et al rather than have wings/national expend energy, money and resources better suited to aviation.
Yes! I'm not proposing anything different. Here in Texass we do it at encampment only, in Washington I think they do that plus some local programs for more regular shooting, plus individuals can go to an NRA range & shoot away. Only thing I'd change it to bring that more fully to the rest of the country still using the NHRA program just as it's used now.

QuoteThus, either come up with a RIBBON, or don't allow wear of anything at all.  I think your designed ribbon woudl fot the bill nicely.
Agred, I don't like the NRA badges. I like the NRA personally, but I know the political pitfalls that I think limit the program in some places & I don't like strapping all that on the uniform. The ribbon is nice & recognizable for what it is. You can debate teh devices on it, I don't much care just so they don't look stupid.

QuoteBy "knock off" I meant the use of the USAF Small Arms expert with some device.  Your designed ribbon is unlike the original enough to pass, but in line with what the USAF offers.  It would represent som version of "tradition."
'preciate it, I like it. As I said it's clearly distinctive, but recognizable to AF. Pretty good for five minutes anyway.

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 26, 2007, 02:17:09 AM
I once knew of a cadet so poor that the only way he was a member was that some Seniors put together a fund for his dues. His uniforms were DRMO garbage (this is before the free uniform program)   But he took the best care of that uniform then any other cadet or senior and knew the cadet program backwards and sideways.... hes an AF E5 now, got in through out cadet upgrade program.
My point is that the free uniform program for cadets is truely a blessing for some.

Personally, I would like to shake the hands of each one of those seniors that were clearly very selfless in their help to a young cadet.

And it's an example of how making a few sacrifices, or donations, can change a life for the better.

It also reinforces my belief that we should not require any badges to be worn. Leave it up to the member to decide how much they want to wear. This does not mean that they shouldn't mean minimum requirements for the uniform though.

DNall

I kind of think the operational badges (MP, MO, GT) should be mandatory WHEN CURRENT, and optional otherwise. Plus medical & chaplain also. All for obvious reasons. None of that need apply to a cadet, since it will never matter what their quals are anyway. The bigger issue though is that CAP is significantly expensive & that precludes a lot of people who may really need what we have to offer from participating. How about some DDR money for that.

DogCollar

Quote from: DNall on January 26, 2007, 07:43:12 PM
I kind of think the operational badges (MP, MO, GT) should be mandatory WHEN CURRENT, and optional otherwise. Plus medical & chaplain also. All for obvious reasons. None of that need apply to a cadet, since it will never matter what their quals are anyway. The bigger issue though is that CAP is significantly expensive & that precludes a lot of people who may really need what we have to offer from participating. How about some DDR money for that.

I agree...badges and other devices should be kept at a minimum if at all possible.  For me and my uniform I would rather not have to wear wing or squadron patch.  Rank insignia, chaplain insignia, name tag and US flag is simple, clean and classic.  Just my opinion.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: DogCollar on January 26, 2007, 08:04:13 PM
Quote from: DNall on January 26, 2007, 07:43:12 PM

I agree...badges and other devices should be kept at a minimum if at all possible.  For me and my uniform I would rather not have to wear wing or squadron patch.  Rank insignia, chaplain insignia, name tag and US flag is simple, clean and classic.  Just my opinion.

I pretty much do that now myself. I may add a squadron patch when we get one, that's a squadron pride thing. Overall, I don't wear a lot because I just don't feel like sewing it on. And I refuse to pay someone else to sew it on for me. They charge an arm and a leg anyway.

I do wear an Air Force badge, but being subdued, it doesn't present a serious offset of the uniform.

O-Rex

I think Dennis said it a while back: CAP already uses the existing NRA-sponsored program, so again, why reinvent the wheel?  Moreover, don't kill the program: it already exists, and has merit in terms of safety, and it's not a big factor in cadet training and development.  But I've always been a bit concerned about the mixed message that training our cadets in the use of firearms sends to parents and the public i.e., members of a benevolent non-profit humanitarian rescue organization who just-so-happen to be able to pick-off fleas with a .22 LR at 500 yards.   For some folks, it conjures up images of the "Young Pioneers," the communist-spin on Boy/Girl Scouts of the Cold War Era.  It's eerie to watch videos from the 70's and 80's of  nine year-old Ukrainian or Cuban kids field-stripping and reassembling AK-47s (blindfolded, mind you) with a speed and agility that would have given a Green Beret or SEAL a run for his money. 

Granted, kids want something exciting to do, but you have to keep it somewhat reasonable, or at lease be prudent in what is showcased, and how.  I remember going to a Wing Conference a couple of years ago, and an some scarf-clad cadets had set up a booth with all sorts of high speed/low drag rescue-gear: carabiners, swiss-seats, first aid kits, etc., which was fine: what got my attention were the toe-tags and body-bags (no kidding!)  If I'm a conscientious parent who's actually monitoring what my kid is doing, it's not unreasonable to ask "What exactly are you preparing my child for??"   Some take for granted the great responsibility involved in taking other's children under our wing, be it for a few hours, or a few weeks at a time.

Am I worried about parents reading this post?  I hope they do!  I have a child (who's too young to join) and I love CAP, but I'm a parent first and foremost, and as one, I think I speak for them when I address subjects like these. The scenario in the preceding paragraph was the first time I ever looked at CAP from a parent's perspective. Since then, I've never looked back: For me, the acid-test of a cadet activity is "Would I want my son to do this?" or "Would I entrust this Senior Member with my child's safety and welfare?"  I am happy to say that there are more "yes's" than "no's" to those questions because a lot of my fellow CAP members feel as I do. 

I'm not saying that we should abandon some of our more exciting training opportunities in favor of flower-arranging, but simple things like changing the program name to "firearm safety" (because that's what the NRA actually teaches kids) might help avoid some of the negative connotations that these actvities might bring.

There are currently more than enough badges and ribbons that cadets can earn from activities that are more in keeping with our organizational image and missions.  How come there's no ribbon for cadets to attain a 3.0 or higher grade-point average in school?

On a lighter note: have you all seen the latest issue of "The Volunteer?" Forget guns, I want my own Llama!!  (I'll name it "Carlito. . . .")  A pet Llama makes a great companion for those long road-marches, and means never having to hump a rucksack again. 

Do they eat much??

mprokosch11

Quote from: O-Rex on January 30, 2007, 02:35:10 AM
I

On a lighter note: have you all seen the latest issue of "The Volunteer?" Forget guns, I want my own Llama!!  (I'll name it "Carlito. . . .")  A pet Llama makes a great companion for those long road-marches, and means never having to hump a rucksack again. 

Do they eat much??

Probably, but I know they spit like baseball players.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

juicedude10

Quote from: DNall on January 22, 2007, 01:45:41 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on January 22, 2007, 01:38:54 PM
Of course, it would be much easier if USAF would just come out and admit that they are interested in the Cadet Program for recruits, rather than just creating better citizens out of the goodness of their hearts.  Because without that statement of intent, we will always shy away from the overly martial stuff, and towards putting kids in an AE T-shirt and letting them fly gliders.
They do that & we're the hitler youth on page one of the NY Times. You can't recruit 12yos into a program the govt openly admits is even partially abut ebing a pipeline to the military. They might be able to make the point internally to our members, but it can't be formally on teh record that way.
my dad wasn't going to let me join cause he thought CAP was like Hitler youth..but i want to be a Navy SEAL, so I want to go through USNSCC.

lordmonar

A nearly 30 months thread Resurrection!  Is that a record?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on July 02, 2010, 08:41:15 PM
A nearly 30 months thread Resurrection!  Is that a record?

Nowhere near. We've had 5 year threads come back recently.