Main Menu

Anyone ever use tech soup?

Started by Woodsy, August 30, 2011, 10:27:58 PM

Woodsy

I was talking with a friend about the bad state of my squadrons computers, that they are all so old and we've lost several in the past couple months.  He said to check out a website called tech soup, which is supposed to link corporations are upgrading their computers with NPO's that could put the old one to good use.  I believe I may have seen something here about it before because it sounds familiar, but didn't find anything in a quick search... 

So, has anyone ever used this, and actually got anything out of it?  Just curious if it's worth the effort. 

JC004

I wouldn't say for computers.  Their machines are pretty old and the cost is too close to a basic newer machine.  For software and some other hardware, it is a good option.

a2capt

..and you would be surprised what you can find in your own community.
Ask on CL, and point out the 501(c)(3) .. or go to service organization meetings and ask. You may hit  a winner when you find someone who knows of a closet full of P4s that need a home.. and look for Dell stuff, if possible. You just use a Dell XP CD from any one of them to reload any other one. No worries about the license key.

*If It's got SATA onboard, you may need a slightly updated XP CD, but..  not impossible to find/get.. even from Dell.

Eclipse

Don't forget DRMO, too.   My wing's VC is constantly driving out of Scott with a pallet of computers, monitors, and other goodies.

I've never been all that impressed with Tech Soup's selection or prices.

has your squadron received allocated notebooks from NHQ?  Most of mine had 2-3 units less than 2-3 years old, and probably 1/2 got new ones recently.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

We have 2 issued laptops, both probably 3-4 years old, but suitable for their use. 

What we really need are a few desktops to replace our flight sim machines (which I'm guessing are 5-7 years old) that keep going down.  Our admin computer has to have a part replaced every month it seems, and our comm room machine completely fried a month or so ago.   That one is important as that what we use during missions to rum IMU, communications log, etc.  We've survived without it using members personal laptops, but it would be great to have it back.  The admin machine we have almost stopped using for any sort of important records as we're concerned we'll turn it on one day and everything will be gone, so we've just been doing it on our own machine and syncing up with the squadron external hard drive every meeting. 

Bottom line, is this is hurting us with the cadets, making it hard to keep proper records, and is an operational problem in ES.  We need new machines!

DRMO came up a couple days ago, but no one is quite sure how to go about that, we're looking into how it works now. 

I'm also going to look into local companies, but not sure where to start, or what department to contact...  A great learning experience for sure! 

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on August 30, 2011, 11:27:07 PMDRMO came up a couple days ago, but no one is quite sure how to go about that, we're looking into how it works now. 

This is where having a strong, informed Logistics officer at both the unit and the wing level will help.

At 50K feet, there will bee a select few in the wing trained and approved as "screeners", your LG should be able to request a copy of the current catalog,
and once you see what is available, he should be able to request those items.  Each DRMO is different, local relationships matter (Hey Jim, guess what I just got...), and the initiative of your wing's screeners will be a factor as well.

Not to mention the physical logistics of where your DRMO is.  The two we use are 3.5 and 6+ hours away from my AOR, so if we need to return something or request something, there's some hand-off-ing that needs to be done.

Like using AAFES, it sounds harder than it is, and once in motion, not that big a deal.

One of these days I'm going to get one of those air-conditioned medical tents with a generator support trailer!

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

The computers tech soup has are junk. If you want to run anything that is Intensive.

I am a gold expert/admin on a half dozen tech forums. I am obligated to say I haven't kept up for the past 2ish months. :p so I may be behind on Ivy Bridge/LLano/bulldozer rumors..

Just pm me your budget, what it needs to do and if you know a student.([for woodsy only]that goes to st.johns or fscj)

Edit: and if it needs to be a laptop/desktop.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

HGjunkie

Here's a good place to start to get an idea of what you need...

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-desktops

And of course from time to time a shiny new cheap computer will show up on fleabay.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 31, 2011, 12:14:29 AM
so I may be behind on Ivy Bridge/LLano/bulldozer rumors..
That's a little much for CAP usage.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 31, 2011, 12:30:05 AM
Here's a good place to start to get an idea of what you need...

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-desktops

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 31, 2011, 12:14:29 AM
so I may be behind on Ivy Bridge/LLano/bulldozer rumors..
That's a little much for CAP usage.
Hehheeee, you know you want one....

Optiplex is pretty good.... If you like dell.
Hp pavillions are decent.

It just depends on your budget...

If you want a fun project: build it yourself, and save tons in the process.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Woodsy

As far as budget, I guess I forgot to mention, we're looking for donations.  There is no budget (not even for shipping, though we could probably take care of that by passing the hat.)

EMT-83

As others have said, Tech Soup is great for software, not so much for hardware. You can't beat $16 per license for Office Professional or $39 for Dreamweaver. At those prices, you can't even justify running Open Office.

We have two corporations and a school that donate their old machines. Just swapped out those tiny 17" monitors for 19" ones.  :)

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 31, 2011, 12:42:20 AM
Optiplex is pretty good.... If you like dell.

I can see you have never dealt with them in quantity. A very large number of them have capacitors prone to early failure on the motherboard requiring on-site service or motherboard replacement.

Extremepredjudice

I have only owned ~5 of them.
When I got them they were all 3ish years old...

I do read reviews, I haven't heard about that issue.
Hmm, everyone has their own experience. I personally don't like any of the major brands(most of them use cheap mobos, cases, psus, etc) and either build it yourself/buy from custom build companies, I.e. Ibuypower, digital storn, or cyberpowerpc

Try a fund raiser. Carwashes with cadets work pretty well... Presales are a big help, also.
You could probably net enough for a brand new netbook..(250-300)

I don't have any extra computers, or I'd offer them...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Woodsy

If we get some old machines that need a little work, I may have to pull you to group staff to come fix em ;)

Extremepredjudice

Heh, if I can get comms specialty, it is an even trade.

I want to see getting a Sra on group staff...

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Woodsy

hah, ADY :)

Seriously though, you need to come over and check out our cyber patriot team.  Our cadets were first, second and third in the state for the cyber challenge this year and the patriot competition is about to kick off.  Don't think your squadron has a team?  Anyways, it's only about 30 minutes away...  Just saying!

Extremepredjudice

I'd join your squadron in a heartbeat, if I could drive...

Congratz on cyber patriots!! I looked into that, and thought about making a team... There Is only one other tech savy person in my squadron, and if they haven't taught themselves stuff by now, they aren't interested.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

HGjunkie

Ah, but I do have one!

If ASUS made cheap computers I'd recommend them in a heartbeat, but they sell to regular consumers so Dell/HP are the best bets.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 31, 2011, 06:38:27 PM

Ah, but I do have one!

If ASUS made cheap computers I'd recommend them in a heartbeat, but they sell to regular consumers so Dell/HP are the best bets.
I have a i7 980x I got from a friend... :)
I put my liquid cooler from my 920 on there... 4.5 ghz easy

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

JC004

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 31, 2011, 06:38:27 PM

Ah, but I do have one!

???  ASUS computers are a good deal and they do have business sales...