Excellent quality of video feed at NB / National Board Aug '11

Started by cap235629, August 17, 2011, 08:23:57 PM

BillB

The Head of the Canadian Air Cadet League is sitting at the head table. Thus the flag of canada.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

BillB

Eaker Cadet

There is still a STRONG Pineda influence in Florida Wing.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

jeders

Quote from: BillB on August 18, 2011, 04:39:01 PM
The Head of the Canadian Air Cadet League is sitting at the head table. Thus the flag of canada.
That explains that then.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JC004

Quote from: lordmonar on August 18, 2011, 04:24:45 PM
Even back in the Pineda days.....there was almost zero inpact at the squadron level.

That's the problem as I see it.

NIN

Clearly, its time to add a third thing to that old joke about the "two things you should never watch being made."

It was "Sausage and the law."

Now it should be "Sausage, the law, and National Commanders of CAP"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

JeffDG

Ahhh...I thought it was just for me... ;D

JeffDG

Quote from: eaker.cadet on August 18, 2011, 04:06:02 PM
This whole election just seems like a lot of back room deals where made.  Just my opinion.
OK, not commenting on the merits of either candidate here...really, I just don't know enough to do so intelligently...but what do you expect?

CAP currently operates on a closed-loop governance system.  Col. Weiss campaigned for the position, but did so with people who had no vote, and to top that off, those who did have a vote are not, in any way, accountable to those who he was campaigning with. 

It's a closed-loop system because the appointment goes:

CAP/CC->Region/CC->Wing-CC->CAP/CC...lather, rinse and repeat.  The governance model is not designed for change, it is designed to maintain the status quo.  Until such time as an outside force is applied to the loop, it will continue to operate as it has in the past.

For a historical reference, the only thing I can think of that had such a closed-loop governance model was the Soviet Union (note, this is not a Godwin's Llaw type of reference, simply a pointer to an analogous model used elsewhere):

General Secretary->Central Committee->Politburo->General Secretary

Eclipse

I know it is owing to our corporate nature, but I'd prefer the CC and CV be appointed by CAP-USAF, and perhaps the major staff postions like CS would have to be approved by them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2011, 05:36:06 PM
I know it is owing to our corporate nature, but I'd prefer the CC and CV be appointed by CAP-USAF, and perhaps the major staff postions like CS would have to be approved by them.

That would be the better option!!!!!
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

jeders

I have to agree 100% on this one.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

My personal opinion, membership on the NB should be separated from Wing Command.

Any time someone proposes electing NB members, the complaint always comes back that you shouldn't elect your boss (even though that's what the NB just did in elected a new CAP/CC).  And that has a lot of merit from a chain-of-command perspective.

But, why does the job of NB member and Wing/CC have to go together?  Why couldn't each Wing elect a NB member.  The NB members from each region could select from among themselves a representative for the NEC.  Then the NB would appoint the CAP/CC, who would appoint the Region/CCs and the Wing/CCs.  The NB members would have no special role in the chain-of-command, however, Wing/CCs would be wise to seek and accept their counsel I'm sure.

Now, the membership has a meaningful input into the process (electing their NB reps), and the chain-of-command is not polluted with selecting your own boss.  The NB/NEC sets policy, the chain of command carries out that policy.

flyguy06

I was wondering about that myself

keystone102

The afternoon session has started. Time to elect the National Vice Commander

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2011, 04:18:31 PM
I don't think sour grapes serves anyone, whether in CAP, or in National elections - we see where that gets us.  Day-to-day, who the National CC is has much less effect on the membership than who the Wing Admin is.

I have no specific issue with Gen. Carr, I just don't think he will be the instrument of disruptive change that FW was purporting, and that is what CAP needs, disruptive change.  I perceive that things will be status quo, for all that means.

I agree with this too. It really doesnt matter who the National Commander is. As long as we hlp our community at thelocal level. Thats what is important.

Mustang

Did Vasquez just claim, with great pride, credit for the most ridiculous rewrite of a CAP reg in recent memory?  Since that rewrite, CAPR 60-1 is next to useless. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

a2capt

Do have to say one thing though.. at least they know CT exists .. their [Filter Subversion] is going to get scrutinized..

jeders

Quote from: JeffDG on August 18, 2011, 05:44:25 PM
My personal opinion, membership on the NB should be separated from Wing Command.

Any time someone proposes electing NB members, the complaint always comes back that you shouldn't elect your boss (even though that's what the NB just did in elected a new CAP/CC).  And that has a lot of merit from a chain-of-command perspective.

But, why does the job of NB member and Wing/CC have to go together?  Why couldn't each Wing elect a NB member.  The NB members from each region could select from among themselves a representative for the NEC.  Then the NB would appoint the CAP/CC, who would appoint the Region/CCs and the Wing/CCs.  The NB members would have no special role in the chain-of-command, however, Wing/CCs would be wise to seek and accept their counsel I'm sure.

Now, the membership has a meaningful input into the process (electing their NB reps), and the chain-of-command is not polluted with selecting your own boss.  The NB/NEC sets policy, the chain of command carries out that policy.

That's another way to skin a cat. Though I have a feeling that it would end up where the vast majority of the NB nominees would come from the Wing CC and those close to him/her. That would just bring that cycle back, though admittedly not as bad.

My personal opinion is that if Nat CC/VC were chosen by some outside force, either the BoG or CAP-USAF, and then Region/Wing CCs were appointed, then we would permanently end the electing your boss cycle.

JC004

Quote from: JeffDG on August 18, 2011, 05:01:37 PM
Col. Weiss campaigned for the position, but did so with people who had no vote, and to top that off, those who did have a vote are not, in any way, accountable to those who he was campaigning with. 

That is incorrect.  If you are not a National Board member, then you did not see the campaigning with the National Board members. 

National Board members were targeted through SEVERAL means (mail, e-mail, telephone, etc.).  The campaign simply INCLUDED the entire membership for the purpose of involving the membership in their organization's future. 

Do you know what's sad?  A new National Commander gets elected and people are relieved that they historically have had little impact on the local level. 

jeders